Thread: Medieval Merchant Mod v.1

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Default Medieval Merchant Mod v.1

I proudly present...
    A small modification for Medieval II Total War.

Everybody can use it, it is easy to install, and easy to remove again.
    Similar mods have probably been made, but there is always use for yet another I think...
    Simply download the file and place it in your;
    "Medieval II Total War/Stainless_Steel_Mod/data" folder.

Every mod can use it, even for those who play vanilla...
    I have just choosen to place the thread here in Stainless Steel as that is my prefered Mod. Hope nobody mind...

The effects

This small mod will improve the ressource values, making the income from merchants bigger.
    I thought that a one-star-merchant that would only bring in like 35 gold coints each turn was silly thing. With these new changes, merchants are more important, there are bigger differences between the ressources from fish to gold, making it more effectful to search for better ressources and send your merchants on journeys far away.

If you want to change the settings yourself, for what what you think is more realistic or funnier, feel free to edit the resource vales yourself.
    But I would say myself that these values now are pretty good, concerning over- and underestimating income from trade.
    This is a help for those who perhaps doesnt know how to do it, or to those who want a bigger challenge.

With more gold, comes more armies and more dangerous AI opponents.

I hope you will enjoy and find it useful...
    Under the Patronage of deRougemont.
    Belonging to the House of Wilpuri.

Default Re: Medieval Merchant Mod v.1

Hello and welcome to the mad world of moding. (Nice image by the way).

Unfortunately I feel that there is to much money in the game, not to little, but its nice to see people helping out KK with mod ideas.

Have fun

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Just curious how much of an increase is it? Cuz I hate spamming out tons of merchants just to get some sort of net profit. If it would reduce the amount of merchants needed to get significant money then I would be interested.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

quark, what are you saying??!! too much? are you joking?

btw, Vindahl, i support this, great job
    +rep

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Mike1351
    Yes, I find it easy to make loads of cash, I have trouble spending enough to keep below the levels for aquiring stupid traits on all my govenors. Some times I just give it away.

Just build the right buildings, maintain control of your military development, send your merchants to all the good spots, and hey presto, your rich. Sometimes I even look forward to the Black Death, that cuts down the cash flow.

Paul Ehrlich

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Like they already don't make too much cash. They pay themselves in 5 turns already so...will this make merchants even more silly?

I think the problem is that Merchants are not making enough to justify their existence...they cost like 500 & take more than one turn to make the money back...and thats after you get to the resource...I think that if yo uwant to play with merchants you should make them earn at least 500 a turn with 1 coin bar.
    Or a better Idea...you should give every region a gold resource that gives like 5000+ so you can build a mine & the improved mine should make like a gazillion.

And if you don't want to do either...why not make everything cost less? this way you dont have to mod merchants!! its bwilliant I tell you!!!

Quark, i believe i'm quite capable of doing campaigns, sorta the reason why i completed pretty much every campaign in the game. Merchants , let's not think of them as just one single lil merchant. Think of them as a big group, who is collecting stuff and selling it to the mainland, which should give you fairly amount of money. Wouldn't that make the game more realistic?

Mike1351
    First of, can I just but Mike from now on.
    Second; If I gain, say from a begining Merchant, 40 - 120 / turn, then that means if he lives 40 turns I have spent 500 on making him and had a return of 80*40 or 3,200. I think thats a fair return.

Now I send him to Timbuktu, and he returns 800*30 (took some time to get there) or 32,000, thats not fair, thats raking it in. And I can build one of these for every city I have, and they get better, bringing in more money.

So I feel that Merchants easily pay for themselves, thats why I have a lot of Merchant Guild buildings (well that and I like the early Cavalry addition to cities).

I know in real life you would have a trade house, the ability to gain monopoly on a resource etc, but what I was saying was that I think they are balanced as is, and that I don't need more money coming in.

PS: Vindahl, don't take this as any criticism of your work (see first post) and I am would be perfectly happy if 1000 people download this and added it to their mod, thanking you perfusely. Its just not for me personally.

Steps quietly out of post to avoid derailment ...

Paul Ehrlich

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Mike1351
    First of, can I just but Mike from now on.
    ? what does that mean? whatever, we all play differently right? so i don't mind ppl having different opinions than mine

pongi's Avatar Foederatus

where is the downloadlink?

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I have never heard of this sub mod before, the original op not been seen on SS for a long time.

Navajo Joe
    SS Forum Moderator

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Move to its relevant location. However, note that the download link is missing.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

how this wonderful mod can be downloaded?

Where do i download this?

Seriously this forum is flooded with mods WITHOUT DOWNLOAD LINK wtf is the point of a mod you cant download?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

This mod has been "hibernating" during 10 years in SS main forum. His creator hasn't been active in TWC for almost 2 years. Nothing is eternal even on the web and I have specified only 2 posts above yours that the download link is missing.
    What did you expect?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader