Thread: ...I hate Aragon. Help!

Default ...I hate Aragon. Help!

So, I'm playing my first real game of EU3 (had the game for 3 days now) as Venice.

Things are going reasonably well. I've taken most of Northern Italy, I have a few colonies in the Carribean etc.

So I'm trying to form Italy...and given my rudimentary understanding of what's involved in that I need Roma. I thus invade the Papal States...

Who are a vassal of Aragon. I find that I cannot negotiate with the Papal States, since they're a vassal. Ok, no problem, I'll just kick Aragon's butts.

I kick them from one side of the Med to the other. I sink ~40 of their ships, I occupy Messina and Palermo, Sardinia, Cyrene and the southwestern most province in Italy. I get a war score of 48%. Far more than the 20% I need to get them to release the Papal States.

Problem...they won't accept anything but a white peace. In order to proceed any further with this I'd have to attack Iberia...and I just tried that with 30k men and lost (after spending years building the necessary transports.)

So is Roma untakeable? Am I just going to have to accept this? Seems kind of silly since they clearly lost the war and can't defend their overseas possesions.

Default Re: ...I hate Aragon. Help!

You'll get the peace offer you want, just keep send it to them and they will accept sooner or later.
    We march, march, march
    we fight, fight, fight
    we die, die, die
    we rule!!!

Also, when you give them an irresistible peace offer they'll experience stability hits when they decline. So, when they are declining your fair offers you are indirectly weakening them.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

What you need is a nice powerful ally when you take on any powerful nation as Venice. For Aragon ally with Castille, France or Burgundy. Make sure you have a very powerful navy and beat Aragon at sea. Once that's done you can land small armies on Sicily and any other islands they hold. You'll win the war and should be able to get Rome - or at least free them from vassalisation. Persevere - look to the New World and seize any colonies they might have.

Well, I replayed the invasion of Iberia and was able to successfully take Barcelona, which finally brought them to the bargaining table (although the campaign cost me something like 20,000 men, fortunately the Austrians didn't seem to notice).

It never gave them a stability hit for turning down my deals. Despite my reasonable war score, when I went to negotiate it said their armies were still not defeated...or something like that.

Warscore isn't exactly what it means to be. The computer AI runs a calculation of its soldiers and ships vs yours to decide what kind of peace should be happening or if they want peace. Thats why sometimes if you have all of their continental possessions but they have some large army in colonial territory, they are really stubborn. You can always send the peace deal while paused, save, go reload the save, play as aragon, accept it, save, go back to venice. Sometimes the AI is overly dumb, frustrating as hell
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    Warscore isn't exactly what it means to be. The computer AI runs a calculation of its soldiers and ships vs yours to decide what kind of peace should be happening or if they want peace. Thats why sometimes if you have all of their continental possessions but they have some large army in colonial territory, they are really stubborn.
    That's what I thought might be going on. If so it's a little annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan
    You can always send the peace deal while paused, save, go reload the save, play as aragon, accept it, save, go back to venice. Sometimes the AI is overly dumb, frustrating as hell
    Wish I'd thought of that at the time.

Fortunately the issue hasn't come up since.

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    You can always send the peace deal while paused, save, go reload the save, play as aragon, accept it, save, go back to venice.
    How dare you consider doing this Wallie!!! This is blasphemous! Nah I have done this once or twice but it does ruin the game if you start doing this too much. What I do like doing is getting Burgundy to release the Netherlands as I really don't like having Burgundy not on the decline form the start.

It popped up again.

Behold! Castile considers this a well fought draw.

Hi guys!

I need to know how to create Spain in 1517? Here are my thoughts on this, so please correct them if you want.

1) Do I have to be in a personal union with Aragon or is having them as a vassal enough?

2) What provences do I need?

3) What countries do I need to incorporate i.e. Navarre and Sicilly or one of them?

You see I started in 1492 as Castile with Aragon as my vassal. I made Navarre give Bearn to France which led Aragon to declare war on Navarre resulting in annexation. Anyway I built this huge Castilian empire in the New World and I just patiently waited for 1517 when I can finally annex Aragon. Anyway I eventually got there but to my dismay Spain did not form in that year and I'm wondering why because I thought that I had all the provences that I needed; I just simply thought that all I had to do was wait and annex Aragon in 1517.

Please can anyone help me because this game has given me such a headache since the historic events have changed. Before I could create spain in 1492 with the historic events, but now its all gone to pot and I have no clue what it is that's causing Spain not to form.

Mehmet.
    "I am God's slave and sultan of this world. By the grace of God I am head of Muhammad's community. God's might and Muhammad's miracles are my companions."
    Süleyman the Magnificent 1494-1566

Answered in the other thread...