Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: LATEST RELEASE: FATW - The New Shadow Released!

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Default Re: FATW - The New Shadow Released!

Maybe you should get a monkey and learn it too type: "Read the damn instruction"

Any volunteers ?

W

So I finally got pissed off and reinstalled BI to get this mod to work. Turns out my BI folder was corrupted, so that's why it didn't work the first time. But I must say, this mod is simply fantastic, possibly one of the best fantasy mods created for RTW, not just for BI. This mod gives justice and more to Tolkein's fantastic series. Good job to all who worked on this mod.

Light of the West
    An AAR for Fourth Age Total War: The New Shadow

First, why should I recruit Rhun Spearmen? They´re less than the Warbands and, from their description, they lack the bonus when fighting cavalry.
    The text that appears on the card is hardcoded (not its content but the appearance itself) and as you can see it doesn't mention the amount of bonus. It happens that the spearmen are much stronger, they have a better morale and also the warband bonus is of +1. The Spearman are definitely better than the warband.

Much the same goes for Darkhelms and Axemen, basically they´re identical, and they even are recruited from the same building. So are the Great Axes, who not only can do everything the Darkhelms and Axemen can do, and do it better, but on top they have an anti-cavalry bonus. Basically, once you get them (and that will happen quickly, as they´re already availabe at a level three barracks) you need nothing else.
    a)The Axemen are recruited from the second tier, the Darkhelms and the Great Axes from the third.
    b) As for the two latter, they serve different purposes in battle. The one is a cleraly offensive unit, able to break battle-lines, but not so good at defending and vulnerable to missile fire, while the other is a more all-around unit, that can be used in most situations. The "vs mount" bonus again is only +1.
    c) The different capabilities of the units are reflected in their different price, no?

Oh, and the last level of barracks doesn´t give you any benefit troop-wise (it does give the public order bonus, though), as far as I´ve seen, experience from the barracks already tops out at level three barracks, which, I fear, will make Rhun a bit dull for a player (it might help the AI though).
    The last tier barracks does allow the training of more units, but only in certain regions. Try Khand for example...

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

So, how do I turn off the battle-timer? Is it in preferences.txt - I couldn't see it.....

Should be in options/campaign options just like in Vanilla...

OR then Spraeh screwed up with the ltn

Nope, it's not in the campaign selection screen. It can be set during campaign by the game Options.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Nope, it's not in the campaign selection screen. It can be set during campaign by the game Options.
    Ah, thankyou Aradan, I should have known .

BTW just a quick note - this has to be one of the best mods ever made, I shite you not. I love the orcs, elves and dwarves - I used to play MERP (Middle Earth RPG) by ICE, have read the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Hobbit, LOTR and many of Christopher Tolkien's reviews/comparisons/exposes of his father's writings (the "Lays of Beleriand" stands out in my mind) - the mod developers in this case have done justice to JRRT's world, and I daresay old JRRT would give a solid to this release.

Well, thank you very much for your kind words! We do strive for quality and lore-accuracy and we're always happy to see that appreciated.

will the fourth age team launch another version whith the elves dwarves and dale??or at least a addon??and another skin for adunabar uruks would be nice...besides that it rocks!!!love the game

i mean playable in campaign (dwatves elves and dale)

The decision about an expansion has yet to be made. For now we are concentrating our powers to balance the existing factions to the best possible extent and provide maximum stability and enjoyment!

Pindarus's Avatar Foederatus

This is a high quality mod! I was disappointed at the lack of Elvish, Dwarf, or Dale factions, but I understand the immense work put into the other factions. I have read the Silmarillion and LOTR series many times over, so I appreciate leaving out unwanted junk from the movies (great though they were). I love the dwarf skins and your work on the Oleg-Hai, they look great! The only thing I could recommend for your next release is to add at least another faction, preferably dwarves, because we all love dwarves. And also to expand the campaign map so you can add more regions, it seems too small. This mod rocks!
    "War is based upon deception" - Sun Tzu "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"...

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Quote Originally Posted by Pindarus View Post
    This is a high quality mod! I was disappointed at the lack of Elvish, Dwarf, or Dale factions, but I understand the immense work put into the other factions. I have read the Silmarillion and LOTR series many times over, so I appreciate leaving out unwanted junk from the movies (great though they were). I love the dwarf skins and your work on the Oleg-Hai, they look great! The only thing I could recommend for your next release is to add at least another faction, preferably dwarves, because we all love dwarves. And also to expand the campaign map so you can add more regions, it seems too small. This mod rocks!
    They will be included in the full version, be patient, it'll be worth the wait :wink:

W

Want to give this mod a go... but when downloading the patches 2.1 and 2.2 my virusscanner sounded alarms. It says its infected with a trojan horse called Agent.CYZ ???

Has anyone had a simular message?

Already posted it up with the software manufacturer Norman. No replies yet and no description to be found anywhere... http://forum.norman.com/viewtopic.php?t=2417

Future74, the latest version of the mod is FATW-TNS 2.0b, which already includes the patches 2.1 and 2.2. Be sure to download this from the appropriate thread at our official forums here.

The problem with those (obsolete now) patches is known. There is an incompatibility issue with our installer software. But the files DO NOT contain any virus whatsoever and are not harmful for your pc. It is 100% safe (but also un-necessary since 2.0b is out) to download and use them.

There has been a slight mix-up with our multiple release threads. For the latest announcements, updates, patches etc please visit the official forum, as it is constantly up-to-date, unlike (sadly) the other forums some times. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks Aradan

Thanks for the awesome looking game.

I ran into some issues with the game, just wondering if anyone else has
    has similar problems.

The game starts no problem,but when I click on provisional campaign,new shadow, it says 'please select item from list' and I can not proceed.
    Then when i exit the game,a microsoft box error tells me there was an error
    here

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\bi\ci\data\world\maps\campaign\the_new_shadow/descr/strat.txt

The error has to do with the 'expected start date of campaign or battle'

I am totally lost and dont want to mess with text files.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Beotien View Post
    This mod looks pretty cool but unfortunately I am having some problems with the campaign and the custom battles
    When I try to launch the campaign it tells me "please pick an item from the list" (but there's no list) while windows give me the following error:

It also makes catalyst crash but as it always crashes I don't think that the problems come from TNS.

About the custom battles, everything seems all right until I try to start the battle: then it just goes back to the previous screen.

I don't think I made any mistake during the installation since it is fairly easy. But here are a few things about my computer that I think could possibly be implicated in these bugs:
    - Windows Vista and my Radeon X1700
    - Total War: Alexander
    - I use the gold edition.

And here are the 18 first lines of my descr_strat.txt file:
    i just read this

There is this line in the instructions that some people just keep ignoring;
    "Make SURE your BI is patched to 1.6.You can check this by going to the options screen of your BI and looking at the top-right corner."

Gold Edition is NOT ALWAYS patched to 1.6; sometimes it's only patched to 1.4. That's why we ask people to confirm their installation of BI is 1.6. If it's not then the problem you describe will occur.

Please uninstall TNS completely, then patch your BI to 1.6 using the official SEGA patch and then reinstall TNS (version 2.0b and the hotfix after that) and please follow the installation instructions *to the letter* this time. Thank you.

I guess i am guilty of a little ignorance.But in fairness to
    myself i did check my version of 'bi' and seeing that i had version 1.4,
    i then patched 1.5 then 1.6 but for some reason the patch did not
    work and the game is still stuck at 1.4.

So after completely reinstalling everything I followed the same patching
    process again and yet,it is still stuck at 1.4.

Its very frustrating cause i have no idea what to do,have scoured the
    forums for hours and have hit a dead end.

Oh well,I'll prob just go back to my 'bi' campaign.