Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Complete EDU Guide

Default Re: The Complete EDU Guide (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Right, I meant that it should be the same so that players don't get confused, watching a unit delivering a devastating, uber-charge, while the card reads "Charge: 1". I see the way I put it can be confusing, so I'll edit that part a bit. Thx for pointing that out.
    thanks

Very minor issue. You`ve written shield-wall instead of shield_wall. I kept missing it with find until I wrote wall.

And a question. When you say that it gives a melee bonus you mean both attack and defence or just the latter?

Corrected, thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's only defence, but there is no completely safe way to test it.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

[height](may not be visible) : Hidden attribute height of the unit. The default value is 1.7. It represents the height of the unit's soldiers (again not visually). Little is known concerning the exact way that height functions, but it is known that the higher it's value, the weaker the unit.
    Just a guess and probably way off the mark, ''height'' may well refer to the interaction point (in this case attack) with an opposing unit, if you raise the value your unit might be aiming high when attacking a foot unit (even if only in mechanics rather than visually), missing the target reducing effectiveness. That sounds perfectly plausible to me anyway.

Oh and something I've always wondered (and will be testing once I get time) can a unit have handlers as with war dogs?.. Anyone ever tried something along those lines, changing the animal line for a unit..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type barb wardogs briton
    dictionary barb_wardogs_briton ; Warhounds
    category handler
    class heavy
    voice_type Light_1
    soldier barb_handler, 12, 36, 1.2
    animal wardogs
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest
    formation 2.2, 2.2, 3, 3, 3, horde
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 6, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, knife, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 12, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, other, piercing, none, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 3, 1, 2, leather
    stat_sec_armour 2, 1, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 2, -2, 3, 2
    stat_mental 4, normal, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 40
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 610, 40, 60, 80, 510
    ownership britons
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 29, 2008 at 08:36 PM.

Yes, height will affect the interaction pint of units. For example, when I was tampering with our Mumakil in order to get them to behave flawlessly I raised their height by quite a bit and archers would fire way above their heads.

Haven't tried the horse-handler thing, but it doesn't sound very probable to me. If you test, let us know.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Ah, there you go, wasn't as silly as I thought it was..

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

The min_delay seems useless. I set it to 2000 (20 seconds!) for archer but their rate-of-fire is almost as same as in 0
    ________
    BBW live
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 06:34 AM.

That's for min_delay (stat_pri line) or stat_fire_delay? I'm just asking because people (including me) always mix the two up when we type in hurry...

min_delay definitely works for melee combat, I am perfectly sure about it. Not thoroughly tested for missile units... I seem to recall reading some hints somewhere that it actually does nothing for missile attacks, so perhaps you're right. There's also the chance that it has a limit (at 50 for example) and everything higher is considered 50, so you won't see much difference anyway, unless you count veeery carefully. The word "almost" in your posts implies that, at least.

stat_fire_delay doesn't work as it is supposed, but it effects in a very weird way cavalry charges (perhaps all charges, but it is noticeable with cavalry). At first we had set our cav units with Darth's fire_delay settings, but sometimes the riders didn't lower their spears for a charge etc. But once I set all fire_delay values to 0, all units charge with lowered spears every time. I didn't change anything else, so I'm sure the change is because of that.

Any feedback is always appreciated.

What about ships? I know they`re mentioned in EDU too. So I was wondering which of their stats actually matter? There is also a file named descr_ship but I don`t know what if anything from it is actually used in the autoresolve battle rtw offers. As for the EDU:
    1. does the morale counts for ships?
    2. can they have a charge?
    3. how do the defence stats act with ships? I see both the armor and the defence skills are used, but how is this important? For regular units it matters.
    Any ideas?

Very little testing in that regard from my part. If anyone cares to shed some light, it'd be appreciated.

Maybe we should start a thread in the workshop and see what happens? People might come and help... hopefully.

People tend to get bored after a while testing stuff... Be my guest though in creating that research thread, by all means. *tips hat*

I'll try to test some things regarding ships myself soon.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I tried the stat_health tweak with BI and ALX; the result is better but still far from satisfying.

I give the Sarmatian HAs in RTR 1,5 health, as oppsed to 1,1 for enemy infantry (half are cheap hoplites and the other half are peltast), and the numbers are 3:5 (unit number is 4:5). I tested it several times and the result is usually average victory with 1/3 loss on my side. If I play the battle myself, I'd win a crushing victory with no casuality inflicited by the enemy, since they completely lack archers and their heavy-armoued units are few - the peltasts don't really matter because they'd be wiped out in a few seconds.

But sometimes I can get good result from cavalry vs cavalry in Alex. I sent one unit of Sarmatian Noble Cavalry to meet one unit of rebel horse archer (with 1 experience), and the result is a crushing defeat - half loss on my side and 0 on the enemy. It's as same as the result you can get from a real battle, but it fails to work as long as I have more than one heavy cavalry.
    ________
    Live sex webshows
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 06:53 AM.

The idea was to give your HAs 7-9 HPs (depending on their stats) and the infantry would get 5. Though I don't know what the results would be if you tried the above.

Though, getting a perfect result is just impossible, as the auto-resolve is heavily flawed AND a good player or a player that knows how to exploit the weakness of the AI will unbalance things even more. Theoretically if the AI formed a square with shields at all sides and used the terrain to its advantage (or anything else a player would do) the result would be different. The idea when testing is to behave not very cleverly, so that the battle isn't very unfair towards the poor cripple the AI is.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    stat_fire_delay doesn't work as it is supposed, but it effects in a very weird way cavalry charges (perhaps all charges, but it is noticeable with cavalry). At first we had set our cav units with Darth's fire_delay settings, but sometimes the riders didn't lower their spears for a charge etc. But once I set all fire_delay values to 0, all units charge with lowered spears every time. I didn't change anything else, so I'm sure the change is because of that.
    I just tried it, set to 0, 10000, or 100000 just make no difference on the rate of fire
    ________
    Live sex
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 06:54 AM.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Is there a way to make spearmen effective against cavalry charges without nerfing them against infantry?

My spearmen are balanced with other infantry without the light_spear or spear attributes, but if I add them in, they will be weakened beyond what I want.

I tried adding mount_effect angainst horses and camels, but while the result in melee is satisfactory, they are still weak at receiving a cavalry charge...

Hmm, I don't think so. The only way to improve them against charge is (light_)spear or short_pike, but these will also mess up the rest of your balance. mount_effect is your best bet, unless you want to go through the hassle of modifying masses. If you increase the spearmen's mass/decrease cavalry's mass, cavalry won't be able to penetrate through their lines and the charge will wear off on the first ranks, thus causing less damage.

what about using spear_bonus_x?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Have anyone researched cavalry + spearmen class? It seems to have some weird effects...

---
    EDIT: I was wrong... The result cannot be reproduced again
    ________
    Wild_Lianza
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

@ Mcantu: Not sure how I missed your post, but spear_bonus_x does not work at all if light_spear or spear are not present.