Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: The Complete EDU Guide

Default Re: The Complete EDU Guide

Yes, that seems to be the case. The 'smaller' a unit, the better it does.

Can someone tell me how I can give an infantry unit the "fast moving" attribute. Thanks.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

If the unit's model unit uses an fs_fast or fs_semi_fast skeleton, it automatically displays the "fast moving" tag.

Do custom anims not show the "fast moving" ability even if it a "fast" anim?
    Last edited by the man, the myth, the legend; July 11, 2014 at 03:37 PM.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

I believe so.

Default Re: The Complete EDU Guide (WIP)

If i want to increase the lethality of the units but keep it balanced, what do i do? Can i double the values in the guide (1.0 for swordsmen and 0.82 for spearmen, and maybe double it further) or will that screw things up? What hapends if i just keep it .41 for example and increase to 1.41 then 2.41 and so on. Please help me.

Multiply all values by the same thing. If 0.5 becomes 1.0, then 0.41 would become 0.82, etc.

What should i do if i want to increase the lethality of the units but keep it balanced? Do i simply double the values in the guide, or what? And what about the horses? Theire lethailty is 1 as default. So they will have higher lethality than everyone else right? How is that balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by modesty_blaise View Post
    What should i do if i want to increase the lethality of the units but keep it balanced? Do i simply double the values in the guide, or what? And what about the horses? Theire lethailty is 1 as default. So they will have higher lethality than everyone else right? How is that balanced?
    Ignore that. Something ed up so i thought my reply didn't get posted.

Thank you so much for the help Aragorn^^

Hey, i have another question for you. I experimented a bit with the time limit between attacks (the number right before lethality that is 25 as default). And i noticed that even if lethality is the same on a spear unit and a sword unit (I used Hastati vs Spear Warband) the spear unit becomes vastly superior. The Haststi who would normally win vs a Warband now becomes easy prey. Can you help me find what time value i should use (As low as possible) and still keep the units balanced?

Just leave the delay at 25, it's large enough to render the animation delay irrelevant. What you need to alter is the lethality value. The spear skeleton requires lower lethality than sword (82%), otherwise it's OP compared to it. Which would partially explain why your Hastati lose.

I noticed I never said thanks for this truly very, very helpful thread?!

It's a masterpiece - and thanks a lot for it, Aradan!

Regards!

I made some testing about the armor values and the display of the texts "Vulnerable to Missiles", "Well armored" and "Very well armored" the result is:
    armor = 0-2 = Vulnerable to Missiles
    armor = 7-10 = Well armored
    armor = 11+ = very well armored
    The value of shield dont have any influence in this.

Probably what I am about to write you already know but when in doubt I put: I tried to put "short_pike" to the units that have the phalanx as formation but that have short pikes like the Greek hoplites, in the original game this attribute is never used and it is rather used "spear".

Basically using "short_pike" instead of "spear" the units when you remove the phalanx formation do not raise the pike but keep it low as if they were phalanx but with the difference that they can run and the formation can unpack but then in the fight they use anyway the sword and not the pike if they are not in phalanx formation.

I don't know if this is the right topic but I wanted to ask if any of you have ever seen the AI make their troops use a secondary skirmish weapon if the unit has two, like some cavalry units have a spear and a sword but I don't think I've ever seen AI use the secondary one, maybe it doesn't have instructions on when it is convenient to use the main one and when the secondary one and therefore for simplicity always use the first one?

The human player can use the secondary by giving the attack order and pressing the Alt key at the same time as in units that have a ranged and a melee weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Unvers View Post
    I don't know if this is the right topic but I wanted to ask if any of you have ever seen the AI make their troops use a secondary skirmish weapon if the unit has two, like some cavalry units have a spear and a sword but I don't think I've ever seen AI use the secondary one, maybe it doesn't have instructions on when it is convenient to use the main one and when the secondary one and therefore for simplicity always use the first one?

The human player can use the secondary by giving the attack order and pressing the Alt key at the same time as in units that have a ranged and a melee weapon.
    ... if for skirmish were talking, its (more or less) simple... amount of ammo... when a javelineer or archer (they are skirmisher) spent all his ammo, inmediately they will fight with the secondary (IA will does it also)...

For the second case, yes youre right... its hard to see the IA using the secondary weapon when the first is a spear (it can see even in the infantry with spears and sword as a secondary)... but you can try (if your project allows this kind of things) giving to the secondary weapon more attack (like as saying to soldier "hey, your second weapon is better than the first...") ... or more lethality, too, or both.. its just a try, maybe they will choose the second weapon (I remark-> maybe)

Last edited by Archaeopterix; November 19, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

Question about spear and light_spear:

How exactly are the penalties to attack/defense applied? Do they merely factor into the chance-to-kill formula at the footer of the guide, or do they specifically penalize certain stats? I.E. does light_spear detract from defensive skill or something?
    If you give a spear attribute unit only 4 attack, will they have functionally 0 attack against infantry?

Also, I noticed that spear_bonus_x does not flag a unit as having "Bonus versus Cavalry" in their unit description scroll, only a positive mount_effect bonus triggers that.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

on the skeleton compensation factor i.e. "lethality" what are recognized values? considering that if a value you enter is not recognized it will probably go back to default value which i assume is 1.

would 1 be 100 percent?

and if so than what would 1.33 be?

or is 1 , 1 percent?

or does the last value represent attack distance adjustment for a particular skeleton?

I'm asking because sometimes lower values seem to increase the lethality of certain units instead of decreasing it seems.
    Last edited by Valiant Champion; May 26, 2023 at 11:49 AM.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

does spear_bonus work for long_pike if spear or light_spear not present in primary weapon entry?

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Champion View Post
    (...)

would 1 be 100 percent? ---> yes (I use this values for different types of soldiers depending if they are militias or veterans: 0.65, 0.67, 0.69, 0.71, and 0.73 as highest; and they works as expecting... until now... remember lethality is just in melee, close combat, swords, spears, axes etc... for missiles is enough with-> 1... the game will ignored anyway)

and if so than what would 1.33 be? ---> didnt saw any mod, or vanilla even, tresspassing 1 of lethality... is probable these values (more than 1) are being ignored (perhaps)

or is 1 , 1 percent? ---> no (see first response)

(...)
    Last edited by Archaeopterix; July 02, 2023 at 01:46 AM.