Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: When Will Kemalism Follow Leninism?

Default When Will Kemalism Follow Leninism?

Father of The Turks

Part1:

Part2:
    Lenin and Ataturk rose into power in about the same era. However, while Lenin's legacy is beginning to completely lose its foothoold in Russia, Kemalism and the cult figure of Ataturk remain very strong in Turkey. So Im wondering will Kemalism ever disappear in the minds of the Turks?

Peace,

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: When Will Kemalism Follow Leninism?

Kemal Ataturk is fundamentally a different character than Lenin. Lenin was a communist ideologue first and a Russian second. Kemal was Turk first and foremost. He defended Turkey from Greek and allied aggression at its weakest and most needed hours and is thus heavily ingrained in the Turkish psyche. He baby stepped the Turkish nations from the darkness of medieval caliphate to the light of a secular republic.

Muslims need more Ataturks.
    Last edited by Miraj; July 18, 2007 at 09:49 PM.

Lenin is still highly popular among a significant minority of Russians, despite the fact that he hated Russian and Russians.
    Mustafa Kemal loved his people and did much to further their causes, so I don't see love for him dying out.

He did many good things: helped to preserve world security, turned Turkey into a first world country, reformed the Turkish army, and saved Turkey from invasion. Also, he loved his people while respecting his enemies. Unlike many other Turkish generals he did not take part in the Armenian Holocaust.

Indefinitely Banned

Just finished watching that. Really great documentary. Its great that Al-Jazeera would produce such a balanced piece on him - not that I'd expect anything less from them. Thanks Jankren.

I agree with mirage and Russki on this one. Kemal and Lenin were two different personalities and ideologies altogether. For starters, Lenin was pro-worker and anti-capitalist while Kemal was a fierce nationalist and capitalist in his life-style.

jankern, I really don't know if Kemalism will meet the same fate or not but what I want to see is a spreading of his ideology to Pakistan, at least. The Arab states have their kings using religion to subdue their sheep and since they have a thing against the Turks, I don't see them adopting it.

The problem is that although the fundamentalists are in a minority in the assembly, they're the noisiest and they want the semi-literate and illiterate majority to think that secularism literally means "anti-religion". They instill the fear of rampant prostitution and drunkards running around the streets if secularism is introduced. Although more than 90% of Pakistan's laws are secular (meaning that they've been made via a constitution and a national assembly instead of Quranic references or with the help of mullahs), the far-right Mullahs have been able to make sure that oppressive ordinances such as the Hudood Ordinance still stay.

Although the Turkish religious party (Justice and Development Party) is set for another election win, it's predicated that their majority will be cut down substantially this time round. For example, instead of 360 seats, they're probably gonna get to keep only around 300 this time. They draw their support from the poor semi-literate masses - the kind that elected Ahmedinejad in Iran because they were promised a better life.

I don't know what to say about the Kurds though. They're ungrateful, to begin with. How will the divided Kurds fare if, for instance, Syria, Iran and Iraq give them land for their own country? They'd be so weak that Al-Qaeda will conquer them in 30 seconds. I guess it'd be good if both the Kurdish terrorists and Al-Qaeda terrorists fight and kill each other.

Fortunately for Kemal Attaturk and Turkey, the centarist secular Turks are very vocal and patriotic and will not let a bunch of Mullahs destroy their country. After all, Turkey is not just any country, it used to be a super-power empire in it's time. Kelamism will stay and the Turkish military will make sure of that. People have been talking about the failure of secularism in Turkey for over 4 decades. People who believe this should live a year in either Iran or Saudi Arabia and see what they think about it then.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Quote Originally Posted by arfrisco View Post
    He did many good things: helped to preserve world security, turned Turkey into a first world country, reformed the Turkish army, and saved Turkey from invasion. Also, he loved his people while respecting his enemies.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by arfrisco View Post
    Unlike many other Turkish generals he did not take part in the Armenian Holocaust.
    lolll don't mention the "genocide" otherwise they'll come to this thread and start beating their chests over it!

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Just finished watching that. Really great documentary. Its great that Al-Jazeera would produce such a balanced piece on him - not that I'd expect anything less from them. Thanks Jankren.
    Yeah, that's true. Surprisingly, Al-Jazeera English has turned out to be very balanced in it's views. Some people are still afraid of it though because of either a phobia or because their television network doesn't want them to switch over.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus Loverlord View Post
    jankern, I really don't know if Kemalism will meet the same fate or not but what I want to see is a spreading of his ideology to Pakistan, at least. The Arab states have their kings using religion to subdue their sheep and since they have a thing against the Turks, I don't see them adopting it.

The problem is that although the fundamentalists are in a minority in the assembly, they're the noisiest and they want the semi-literate and illiterate majority to think that secularism literally means "anti-religion". They instill the fear of rampant prostitution and drunkards running around the streets if secularism is introduced. Although more than 90% of Pakistan's laws are secular (meaning that they've been made via a constitution and a national assembly instead of Quranic references or with the help of mullahs), the far-right Mullahs have been able to make sure that oppressive ordinances such as the Hudood Ordinance still stay.
    Actually I think Pervez Musharraf is in the best position to be the Ataturk of Pakistan. However, unfortunately he does not seem to possess the great charisma and vision of Mustafa Kemal.

I don't know what to say about the Kurds though. They're ungrateful, to begin with. How will the divided Kurds fare if, for instance, Syria, Iran and Iraq give them land for their own country? They'd be so weak that Al-Qaeda will conquer them in 30 seconds. I guess it'd be good if both the Kurdish terrorists and Al-Qaeda terrorists fight and kill each other.
    I personally think the Turkishness policy of Turkey is kind of ridiculous. What is wrong with being Armenian Turk, Greek Turk, Arab Turk or Kurdish Turk? So long as everyone is guaranteed of equal rights I dont think there would be a problem emerging from granting people to preserve their cultures. The last time I heard the Kurds are not even allowed to speak Kurdish publicly in Turkey. I dont know if this law has been abolished.

Peace,

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Indefinitely Banned

I'll have to agree with Jankren on the issue of "Turkishness". The brutality that the Kurds and Armenians have suffered at the hands of the Turkish nationalism is horrendous. Up until recently people were not even allowed to speak Kurdish or identify themselves as such. Its just a travesty considering that the Kurds and Armenians are far more ancient inhabitants of those lands than the Turks. I just think Turks need to seriously tone down the their nationalism. It seems they've thrown out one mistake (islamic gov't) only to embrace another (blind nationalism).

Domesticus

As an anarchist I find the worship of power and leaders as entirely repulsive. Leaders and violent institutions (such as governments) rarely improve the world --- its the popular movements that represent real civilization.

Araturk created a state establishment which has had extremely violent and oppressive tendencies, praticullarly against the Kurds who were oppressed -- with all forms of torture imaginable, brutalities, mass murder etc -- while the extremely power-worshipping, timid Western intellectual culture admires Turkey because its so "democratic" and "secular".
    Last edited by Princeps; July 22, 2007 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Actually I think Pervez Musharraf is in the best position to be the Ataturk of Pakistan. However, unfortunately he does not seem to possess the great charisma and vision of Mustafa Kemal.
    Not a chance. Musharraf is a complete scumball with one and only one priority - Pervez Musharraf. Diametric opposite of Ataturk.

It was pretty funny when he did his recent Western tour: a newspaper that interviewed him quoted him saying something which made him look bad about the plight of a Pakistani woman refugee. So one or two days later, when he was speaking to a women's group, he accused them of lying. The newspaper responded by putting the tape of him saying what they'd quoted him saying on the Internet. How stupid do you have to be to deny something you said while being taped? But I guess in Pakistan the newspaper would have known to drop the subject before the army closed it down.

The (kind of) good news is that he's lasted about as long as most Pakistani leaders have, so he should be leaving power any time now. But who's going to replace him? If it's another general, what will their attitude towards using their nuclear weapons be?

Pakistan is a horrible, horrible mess

Ataturk was certainly one of the finer leaders of the 20th century.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Kemalism=Extreme Nationalism
    Leninism=Communism
    They have nothing in common.
    Leninism is perhaps the most temperate type of communism.
    Kemalism is the Turkish nationalism, which worships Kemal.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

K. Ataturk is national hero for many Turks no doubt about that and he gained such 'worship' by the way he transformed Turkey into modern state. Of course there're many who paid the price of such transformation but it was like it'll always be - nothing new really, He did his duty for sure.
    Lenin was ranting madman who established the most inhuman, sick and malicious system ever. Only complete dumb or bad to the bone could 'worship' him and his descendants. The sum of all plagues together can't compete with hecatomb they commited in the name of their private deeds and ambitions.
    It's insulting to put K. Ataturk in the same row with such invidual like Lenin...Hitler fits better.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Lenin wasn't so harsh, blame Stalin.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Lenin was just as brutal as Stalin, but did not live enough to knock up as many kills.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    Lenin wasn't so harsh, blame Stalin.
    Without Lenin and his lapdog Dzierżyński - Stalin most likely will remain petty thug at Ochrana payroll down south in Georgia . They created opportunities and METHODS which Stalin so eagerly upgraded or made them more 'effective' when he's become STALIN finally.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

I don't remember Lenin ordering mass murders.

Sol lucet omnibus.

He did.

never heard about "The Great Red Terror" and "War Communism"???

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast