Thread: Can we list possible things causing 'unidentified errors'?

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

Default Can we list possible things causing 'unidentified errors'?

Well, having this with a new map I'm trying out and I can't think what it is. This seems to be a common problem, so thought we could put our heads together and make a check list for people to go through. I'll start-

- Provinces are too large/complex and more need to be added.

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can we list possible things causing 'unidentified errors'?

I have had several because of a missing bracket or comma.

Default Re: Can we list possible things causing 'unidentified errors'?

Can I suggest when you're got a few compiled you make page about it on the Wiki? That way everyone can add ones they find as they crop up and you don't have to keep updating top post (or scrolling through 4 pages of thread to find relevant bit)

There is a Campaign Map Not Loading page done for RTW. You'll find some errors that cause CTD in RTW also cause 'unspecified error' in M2TW (which is really just CTD but with annoying message thrown in)

From the RTW page, Landmass Crash doesn't occur in M2 and mis-named generals now don't cause crash (just error message in log).

I'm reasonable sure
    *Rivers incorrectly drawn in map_features.tga.
    *Incorrect height or width listed in descr_terrain.txt- dimensions must match map_regions.tga
    *Attempting to have more that 200 total 'regions'. Note that regions include different colours used for individual seas, so you can have 199 land regions and 1 sea, or 198 land regions and 2 different coloured seas in map_regions.tga etc...
    which CTD in RTW give the unspecified error in M2

easiest way to figure out what does what is to start with something working and make errors deliberately, if there are any very enthusiastic volunteers around!