Thread: Tuareg Camel Spearmen BUG?

Default Tuareg Camel Spearmen BUG?

Hey guys
    First off, SUPERB mod - I loved SS 3.2 and this is even better!

However I have noticed a problem, which must surely be a bug.
    I was playing my "Crown of Aragon" campaign this afternoon, and defending a fort from a large stack of Moors.

I was doing well, killing them in my gate breach, and that was when the problems with Tuarge camel spearmen began.

I had sent out 2 units of mailed knights through a side gate in the fort, to flank the enemy and hit their javelinmen and other soft units.
    Seeing a unit of Tuarge Camel spearmen in the open, I decided to charge my Mailed Knights at them, fully knowing that TCS are good against cavalry as they scare horses, yet reasoning that a quick charge would get me a few kills and then I could pull out.
    WRONG!
    The TCS were charged, lost NOONE in the initial charge, then proceeded to slaughter the enitre unit of Mailed Knights, who had an armour upgrade and were 2 bronze chevron, yet my mailed knights did not even kill a SINGLE opponent!

Thinking that they were just supremely hardcore, I pulled back and fought on.

I got right through the difficult battle, until the enemy had just 2 units of TCS left.
    They were hanging right back by their battering rams, so I wheeled out a unit of ballistae and opened fire with flaming ammo.
    I fired, and I fied, and I fired....

Every single ballista round was used, big flaming bolts slamming into the enemy units, and continuing till the artillery had totally run out of ammunition.
    Not one single enemy dead. Not a single one!
    I zoomed in, and saw a ballista bolt slam straight into one of the TCS, the round exploded as it hit the enemy, showering fire and sparks all over the place. The guy did not die. He didn't even flinch!

I charged a unit of Mercenry spearmen at them, reasoning that they are good Vs. Cavalry, and that there were still 75 of them in the unit.

I charged, the TCS did not move to counter the charge, they just sat there and took it.
    I did not kill a single enemy, but they killed 42 of my spearmen, who promptly routed and were run down.

Thing is, the are not always invincible - crossbowmen can kill them, but it seems that cavalry and infantry and artillery cannot.

I ended up losing the battle, despite having over 50% of my army left, while the enemy just had those 2 units of TCS - who had been depleted by crossbow fire.

I am playing on Hard / Hard by the way. Clean install, straight over a Vanilla 1.2 installation.

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe it isn't a bug, and they are just hardcore. If so then this really needs to be altered. Fair enough TCS should be pretty decent, but they should not be able to be charged by a unit of lance wielding Mailed Knights, not move to counter, take the charge, and then utterly annihilate the enemy unit for no losses... This is just wrong.

has anyone else experienced this?

I also noticed at many points in the battle the TCS would stop by my walls, and one of the soldiers in the unit would start to run around in circles VERY fast.....
    Last edited by Delenda est Carthago; July 18, 2007 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: Tuareg Camel Spearmen BUG?

Something's wrong with (God Bless K.K.) 4.0, methinks. I just witnessed a mob of 225 buffed Byzantine Spears (3 3 3) on a hill get annihilated by some one-star Venetian General with 20 knights, who only suffered 4 losses before the Spears bailed (and those casualties may have been from archers...)

I can't play like this.

Oh, and I saw the spazzy twirler in one of my battles, as well.

Just some fun stats while messing around with cavalry in 4.0

-General took Bucharest by himself, killing 120 spearmen and 310 units overall, while losing 4 horsemen.

-1 unit of chivalric knights (no upgrades) vs. 3 units of dismounted feudal knights = 181 dead feudal knights (all) vs. 31 dead cavalry (victor).

-1 unit of Royal Banderium (fully upgraded) vs. an entire army of highland rabble = 1,387 dead rabble vs. 17 dead cavalry (victor).

Also, there was no charging in any of the battles above.

Thx to Quark and Shef there is a solution for ppl like us who find cavalry way too overpowered. Till KK decide what to do with the combat system we can definetely use this system and still can enjoy the game with all the new stuff.

Remember that KK is just one person doing amazing things, this kind of combat revamp needs extensive testing and by different style players. I couldnt play 4.0 with out RC/UAI combo, it was stupidly easy for me.
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

Quote Originally Posted by Delenda est Carthago View Post
    Hey guys
    First off, SUPERB mod - I loved SS 3.2 and this is even better!

The TCS were charged, lost NO ONE in the initial charge, then proceeded to slaughter the enitre unit of Mailed Knights, who had an armour upgrade and were 2 bronze chevron, yet my mailed knights did not even kill a SINGLE opponent!

Every single ballista round was used, big flaming bolts slamming into the enemy units, and continuing till the artillery had totally run out of ammunition.
    Not one single enemy dead. Not a single one!
    I zoomed in, and saw a ballista bolt slam straight into one of the TCS, the round exploded as it hit the enemy, showering fire and sparks all over the place. The guy did not die. He didn't even flinch!

I charged a unit of Mercenry spearmen at them, reasoning that they are good Vs. Cavalry, and that there were still 75 of them in the unit.

I charged, the TCS did not move to counter the charge, they just sat there and took it.
    I did not kill a single enemy, but they killed 42 of my spearmen, who promptly routed and were run down.
    Nope, I still find it's upkeep cost expensive.

Joke aside, I was literally shocked when I see it's upkeep is 300. And I actually found this page just to check if there is anything I don't know about them. After all, They are just camel riders from deserts, while even most elite knights have the upkeep of 250.
    I thought I finally found a reason for the upkeep: They may have a superb advantage somehow.
    But resisting ballista bolts are probably not put to the game intentional!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Why don't you use RR/RC submod?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader