Thread: a problem in amerca

Default a problem in amerca

tort reformm is neccesary in america these days. trial lawyers are ggetting out of hand and it is clogging the legal system and driving up the price of h3ealthcare. even worse it is driving away good doctors and nurses due to the high price of malpractice insurance. thus the us legal system needs major reforms now. reforms such as limits on the amount of money gained via pain and suffering. common sense limitations on lawsuits that are ridiculous such as the 54 million dollar pants. many more reforms are also required in order to make the legal system less clogged, protect people from frivolous lawsuits, and lower the price of malpractice insurance. what are your opions?

Default Re: a problem in amerca

Hi, I'm ferrets54. I'm sure we'll get along swimmingly.

Anyway, you're actually right. I couldn't believe my eyes when this Christmas in Florida I saw an advert on television for a lawyer who garaunteed recently bereft families of smokers that he could successfully sue tobacco companies for compensation.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBushismyhero View Post
    tort reformm is neccesary in america these days. trial lawyers are ggetting out of hand and it is clogging the legal system and driving up the price of h3ealthcare. even worse it is driving away good doctors and nurses due to the high price of malpractice insurance. thus the us legal system needs major reforms now. reforms such as limits on the amount of money gained via pain and suffering. common sense limitations on lawsuits that are ridiculous such as the 54 million dollar pants. many more reforms are also required in order to make the legal system less clogged, protect people from frivolous lawsuits, and lower the price of malpractice insurance. what are your opions?
    I agree.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

My opinion would be to wonder if you are working for the Chamber of Commerce.

common sense limitations on lawsuits that are ridiculous such as the 54 million dollar pants. many more reforms are also required in order to make the legal system less clogged, protect people from frivolous lawsuits, and lower the price of malpractice insurance. what are your opions?
    The legal system seems to have handled the 54 million dollar pants issues well enough seeing how it was rejected. Moreover the plaintiff was order to cover court costs and seems to be in jeopardy of also being forced to cover the defendant’s legal fees as well.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I do agree that the legal system is out of hand and people are getting buckets of cash (well the lawyers actually) for doing stupid things they should have known better in the first place, it quite out of hand.

On one side, I think companies should be held accountable for their products. But on the other, people need to use common sense. Coffee is hot, a lawnmower is not a hedge clipper, if you smoked until you coughed up your lungs you had a choice to try and quit. I do think it would be a good idea for the plaintif to have to cover all court costs if they're suit fails.

But on the other side of that coin, will that stop people from persuing legitimate cases. Also, how will making more laws help an already confusing legal system? In my opinion things need to be streamlined and there needs to be a level of accountability held on both sides of the table. And the lawyers should be the ones responsible for paying any costs insued by persueing and/or losing a frivolous lawsuit. Perhaps then lawyers would counsel their clients better.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Hi, I'm Sher Khan. I'm one of the bravest chaps you'll meet. I still want to be a doctor, with or without reform.

Indefinitely Banned

First, let us differentiate between civil cases before a judge and before a jury.

When one looks at civils before a judge, you see most of the problems go away.

IE - The real problem is not the system as far as lawyers are concerned, it is allowing those who were not intelligent enough to get out of jury duty, to rule on cases, that causes the madness.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I would like to see a loser pays system. So many lawsuits are just another form of blackmail. When faced with a maginal lawsuit a defendant has to ask whether settling out of court will be cheaper than sucessfully defending themselves in a trail.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

and lets not forget the legitimate usage of lawsuits to bring to task large company and rich people ; to answer for actions against the less fortunate, definitely abused but to remove it altogether would remove the common mans ability to defend himself in any way that would be dangerous to larger financial entity.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    and lets not forget the legitimate usage of lawsuits to bring to task large company and rich people ; to answer for actions against the less fortunate, definitely abused but to remove it altogether would remove the common mans ability to defend himself in any way that would be dangerous to larger financial entity.
    I love class warfare.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

well its not just that, Im just sayinig that lawsuits are your only means of recourse if someone say backs out of a contract, or in some way treats you unfairly simply because they dont think you can muster the legal support to attack them.

trust me, lawsuits have a place in society, without them many enviromental and medical reforms would never be undertaken as well as almost all of the civil rights advances were due to lawsuits which went to the supreme court

but yes frivolous lawsuits undermine the proper lawsuits.-- but dont just hate on lawsuits because some people abuse them ( and the ones where they get outrageous settlements its almost always reduced)