Thread: Rolling back the western fog in the early game?

Default Rolling back the western fog in the early game?

Hey all. I was wondering if it would be possible to set the early "fog" in the west back a ways to allow easy sailing/traveling to Arquin. As it is, a human player can do so (by moving his ship/army slowly towards the city, rolling back the fog bit by bit), but the AI will never do so because it plans its moves far in advance, and to its eyes there is no city to target.

I'd prefer not to roll the fog back all the way to America, but opening up western Africa would be awesome.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: Rolling back the western fog in the early game?

Quote Originally Posted by Snipafist View Post
    Hey all. I was wondering if it would be possible to set the early "fog" in the west back a ways to allow easy sailing/traveling to Arquin. As it is, a human player can do so (by moving his ship/army slowly towards the city, rolling back the fog bit by bit), but the AI will never do so because it plans its moves far in advance, and to its eyes there is no city to target.

I'd prefer not to roll the fog back all the way to America, but opening up western Africa would be awesome.
    Open up your map_ground_types.tga file and you'll see a different shade of red indicating unnavigable waters blocking off the coast of West Africa.

Just use the eyedropper tool to select a red that allows for sailing and paint a little corridor along the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Open up your map_ground_types.tga file and you'll see a different shade of red indicating unnavigable waters blocking off the coast of West Africa.

Just use the eyedropper tool to select a red that allows for sailing and paint a little corridor along the coast.
    I have done this, and a human player can easily navigate a boat to Arquin. But the AI refuses to do this, I'd imagine because of the black (as opposed to the usual grey) fog that covers the area. Everything else I've done allows earlier acquisition of this territory, but the black fog is my final hurdle to overcome.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by Snipafist View Post
    I have done this, and a human player can easily navigate a boat to Arquin. But the AI refuses to do this, I'd imagine because of the black (as opposed to the usual grey) fog that covers the area. Everything else I've done allows earlier acquisition of this territory, but the black fog is my final hurdle to overcome.
    Isn't there a map_fog.tga file?

If not, maybe you could try adding AI sight bonuses or plant a watchtower or two down there...

There is in fact such a file. I cannot believe I overlooked it for this long. Arg, I feel dumb. Anyways, thanks for your help. rep for you!