Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.1 FAQs, Problems & Solutions

Default Re: 4.0 FAQs, Problems & Solutions

Strangely enough yes it's affecting vanilla too. Though it never did with v3.2

Here's the sys.log for you from the /log folder

Hey, I have just seen this in

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111575

Same issues. I think there may have be a problem with the files downloaded. Check out my answer there.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Hi Greg,
    15:21:43.656 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    15:24:22.031 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Game crashes when ending turn, but not every turn. Playing as the Templars, installed the Hotfix #3.

Anyone else have a similar problem with any faction? The screen goes blank, and the windows 'error' sound plays. Pressing enter gets you back to desktop, but then you don't know what the error message was.
    hmm.. The system.log doesn't show any unusual errors, so I don't know what could have caused this...
    btw, 1. are you sure that the hotfix is installed correctly? 2. are you using windows vista?

Hi Holy Crusade,
    Every time I start a battle, (custom, quick, or campaign battle) the game crashes saying Medieval II Total War encountered an unspecified error.

P.S. Great mod, it worked on my old computer.

P.P.S. Could this perhaps be because I have Vista?
    When you say it worked on you old computer and that it crashes in every battle with vista, I strongly assume that Vista causes this problem.
    Unfortuntely I have no idea what could fix this..
    Maybe a new driver version?

Hi cueshot,
    I just dlded the mod, installed it, installed HotFix #3, launched, chose Aragon on first game. Played until starting my first battle at which already M2TW crashes with the unspecified error.

Last 3 lines of system.log file including the unspecified error:

21:02:30.140 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds is missing
    21:02:30.171 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#weather.tga.dds is missing
    21:02:37.187 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Those are not the only 2 lines stating an image is missing. There are dozens of such image missing lines before these with each giving a different image missing.
    Well, the missing pictures warnings don't matter. They also exist in vanilla...
    I assume you can't play any battle when you crashed at the first one?
    Ao, also the question: are you using windows vista?

Hi kelvintyk,
    Ok i'll try it out. But what about the varangian archer's missing swords?
    Really? I'll fix it then...

@everyone with an unspecified error:

it would be very helpful for me if someone could upload a save-game before your game crashed. This would make it much easier for me to find this error...
    You could easily upload one here: http://www.megaupload.com/en
    Just upload the file, make any description, accept the terms and click on "send".
    Thanks in davance!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

hi KK and team
    as you wished I uploaded my savegame
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8JM74WSF

you need to attack from antioch to the near hungarian generals army

I already explained my problem here :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=111575&page=2

I hope it's not my pc or CA

thanks for this great mod

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

- Kievan Rus faction speaks with an English-English accent
    I hate saying English-English but I coulnd't find a better way to explane it .
    Anyway, what do I need to change to make them speak in the good ol' Russian accent?

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_Bavaria View Post
    - Kievan Rus faction speaks with an English-English accent
    I hate saying English-English but I coulnd't find a better way to explane it .
    Anyway, what do I need to change to make them speak in the good ol' Russian accent?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110476

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Danke .

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

Hi Guys!

Well I downloaded Stainless Steel 4.0 today, completely renewed my Medieval 2 Installation and then installed the mod. I then start the .bat file but it almost immediately crashes back to the desktop without any notice of error...

I'll attach my system log and I'm not without hope that there is maybe a solution for this problem.

14:37:18.593 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    14:37:18.593 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec 5 2006 version development ===
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/menu_english.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:18.609 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/menu_english.txt is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/diplomacy.txt is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/missions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/missions.txt is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:18.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
    14:37:19.468 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    14:37:19.468 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    14:37:19.468 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    14:37:19.484 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    14:37:20.562 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:20.562 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/religions.txt is missing
    14:37:20.562 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:20.562 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/climates.txt is missing
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 52, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrow3]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 53, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrow2]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 54, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [pesarrow]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 55, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrowhorse]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 56, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arrow3horse]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 57, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [crossbow_bolt2]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 58, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [crossbow_bolt]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 59, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [steel_crossbow_bolt]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 60, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [hand_gun_bullet]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 61, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [arquebus_bullet]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 62, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [musket_bullet]
    14:37:20.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 63, column 14
    Unknown delay ammo type [elephant_cannon_shot]
    14:37:20.609 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:20.609 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
    14:37:20.609 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:37:20.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
    14:37:20.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 117, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_English_Armoured_Horse'.
    14:37:20.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 147, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_English_Barded_Horse'.
    14:37:20.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 162, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_French_Barded_Horse'.
    14:37:20.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 242, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_AdV_French_Heavy_Horse'.
    14:37:21.125 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14936, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'macemen'.

14:37:21.125 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

Hi jkoci,
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoci View Post
    hi KK and team
    as you wished I uploaded my savegame
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8JM74WSF

you need to attack from antioch to the near hungarian generals army

I already explained my problem here :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=111575&page=2

I hope it's not my pc or CA

thanks for this great mod
    Thanks for uploading your save-game!
    I could solve the crash through applying Darth's Magic Fix 4. It seems that were problems with too many horse missile and other missile units in one army.

To apply the newest Darth Mod fix, download the fix here, extract the file where you want, copy the following files:
    - battle_config.xml
    - config_ai_battle.xml
    - descr_formations_ai.txt
    - descr_projectile.txt
    and paste them into the Stainless_Steel_Mod/data folder and overwrite the existing files.

This should solve the problem.

Hi student,

Nice to see you that you are still alive!
    Not so nice that you can't start the mod...
    Well, are you sure that you don't have (or had) any other mods installed?
    The problem seems to be that there are some files missing or maybe replaced by others..
    I never heard of a similar problem that the mod couldn't be started, so I would probably recommend to re-install medieval and SS and delete all remaining folders.
    Then I don't see a reason why SS shouldn't work for you when you install it in the correct folder, of course.
    I hope this helps...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

thank you very much KK
    I will try your fix ASAP

you saved my day

**** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i love your mod but it wouldn't start the Imperial campaign, when i start one it wait a bit then crashes to desktop with a stupid massage "Medieval 2 Total War has encountered an un expected error"
    i never had any mod installed before
    i never put medieval 2 on my pc
    i got 1.2 patch on and the bug fix that you made with ss4.0
    i re-installed the game deleted the folder and ran registry cleaner 7 times

it sucks!!!!
    vanilla plays fine but this mod doesn't let me to do an imperial campaign.
    please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After hours and hours of installing medieval 2 over and over again...I finally give up...! Its so depressing...I checked the registry for possible entries...I erased every trace of medieval 2 or mods...but still, the game crashes immediately to the desktop...

System log keeps saying

03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 53, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 54, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 55, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 56, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 57, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 58, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 59, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 60, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 61, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 62, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 63, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    03:39:43.781 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
    03:39:43.781 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    03:39:43.781 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 117, column 1
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 147, column 1
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 162, column 1
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 242, column 1
    03:39:44.296 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14936, column 1

03:39:44.296 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

I did install the 1.2 patch on a vanilla total war installation, then I installed 4.0 and afterwards the hotfix...again and again...but nothing!!!

Somebody please help, I'm slowly going nuts! I have vacation but cannot play it! (

Quick thoughts
    1. Are you using Xp or Vista.
    2. Does MTW II 1.2 vanilla work or does that crash as well.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

can anyone help me?????????
    im dying here

i love your mod but it wouldn't start the Imperial campaign, when i start one it wait a bit then crashes to desktop with a stupid massage "Medieval 2 Total War has encountered an un expected error"

it sucks!!!!

gary's Avatar Domesticus

Default Screen shots please

Hi wondering, to play this or not? I am at the mo, playing DVL3.2.
    So would like to see some screenies
    My Granfather Frederick Avery.Battalion Boxing champion. Regiment.The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. dorcorated D.C.M. M.M.
    campaigns

(India.1930) (Norway 1940) (Fontenay le Pesnil) (North-West Europe1944-45) (Argoub Se!lah)
    (Sicily, 1943 Salerno) (Minturno) (Anzio Gemmano Ridge)
    "Burma, 1942"
    My grandfather was a hero, modest, quiet and wounded twice, in hand to hand combat at Casino Italy.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by student23 View Post
    After hours and hours of installing medieval 2 over and over again...I finally give up...! Its so depressing...I checked the registry for possible entries...I erased every trace of medieval 2 or mods...but still, the game crashes immediately to the desktop...

System log keeps saying

03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 53, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 54, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 55, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 56, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 57, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 58, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 59, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 60, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 61, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 62, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 63, column 14
    03:39:43.765 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    03:39:43.781 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
    03:39:43.781 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    03:39:43.781 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 117, column 1
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 147, column 1
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 162, column 1
    03:39:43.937 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 242, column 1
    03:39:44.296 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14936, column 1

03:39:44.296 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

I did install the 1.2 patch on a vanilla total war installation, then I installed 4.0 and afterwards the hotfix...again and again...but nothing!!!

Somebody please help, I'm slowly going nuts! I have vacation but cannot play it! (

It looks like you are missing the modeldb file. The game is unable to read from that file (which is why it says Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'macemen'.")

Go into M2TW/Stainlesssteel Mod/data and check to see if there is a unit_models folder there.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by Potato View Post

it sucks!!!!
    Have you installed the hot-fix? Unexpedcted errors are usually related to the unit models.

If definitely sounds like your missing something along the line.

can you tell me how to put details in here so you could help me like you helped that dude?

and yes i did re-installed i re-installed everything 7 times.
    and 1 time i tried without the fix.

No, that isn't a banana

Go into your M2TW folder and look for the system.log file. you can open it up and scroll to the bottow - usually the last three lines tell you where the problem occurred - but since yours was an unexpected error, I don't think we'll find the answer there.

Are you using Vista? I am, and I had a similar problem. I only installed M2 and the 1.2 patch first. I launched the game, and changed the options in-game to how I wanted them (ie graphics/game setting etc). I did this to make sure the game worked on Vista ok.

Then I ran the installer for SS4.0, and ran the game again to made sure it worked.

Apply the hot fix #3 and it was still working.

The only suggestion I can make at this time, and I know it's getting frustrating, is to try and reinstall it again. This time, try putting it in a completely different folder.