Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.1 FAQs, Problems & Solutions

Default 4.1 FAQs, Problems & Solutions

FAQ:

How do I install this mod?
    1. Requirement is the official M2 patch 1.2.
    2. Install Stainless Steel 4.0
    2. Install Stainless Steel 4.1 Patch

Note: It is very important that you install the mod and the patch into the correct directory.
    Normally this is ".../Program Files/SEGA/Medieval II Total War".
    When you have installed the mod in another directory, just point it manually to the correct directory.

How do I launch this mod?
    - Double-click the "Stainless Steel" icon on your desktop
    (or double-click "Launch_Stainless_Steel_Mod.bat" in your default "medieval II Total War" directory)

Is this mod seperated from the original game and other mods?
    - Yes.

Customizing SS 4.1

How can I remove the additinal blood/new skies?
    - Delete the "overlaytextures"/"globallighting" folder (in Stainless_Steel/data)

How can I deactivate the Reality traits? (army attrition & supplies)
    - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110516
    (temporarily it is to use with SS 4.0)

How can I play with the original game length of 225 turns?
    1. Backup the following files and delete them:
    - export_descr_buildings.txt (Stainless_Steel_Mod/data)
    - descr_settlement_mechanics.xml (Stainless_Steel_Mod/data)
    - descr_strat.txt (Stainless_Steel_Mod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign)
    2. Go into the "--- NEW 2 YEARS PER TURN FILES ---" folder (in Stainless_Steel_Mod/data) and replace the above mentioned files with them.
    NOTE: This changes will only take effect with starting a new campaign.

How can I install Ultimate AI 1.5?
    1. Download UAI and install it where you want (not in the Stainless_Steel folders!)
    2. Copy (from .../UltimateAI/data)
    - descr_campaign_ai_db.xml
    - descr_diplomacy.xml
    - descr_faction_standing.txt
    and and paste the files into Stainless_Steel_Mod/data. Overwrite existing files.
    3. Open descr_strat.txt (UltimateAI\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)
    and the copy the whole "diplomacy section" at the bottom of the file and replace the diplomacy section of SS's descr_strat.txt.
    Finally change the "ai_labels" (in SS descr_strat) for:
    - mongols and timurids from "default" to "mongols".
    - egypt, moors, turks from "default" to "islam"
    - byzantium, russia and kievan_rus from "default" to "orthodox"
    Finished!

Possible Problems & Solutions:

Wrong character sounds and other sound problems:
    - delete events.dat and events.idx from the Stainless_Steel /data/sounds folder. Copy events.dat and events.idx from your main Medieval II Total War/data/sounds folder and paste them into the Stainless_Steel /data/sounds folder.

- assassin, spy movies are missing
    Nerazzurri has made a handy program to fix this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110476

The game freezes in the first AI turn(s)
    - Probably not related to this mod. Search the technical help or the general discussion forum

Unspecific crash to desktop
    - please look into your system.log file (In Medieval II Total War folder) and paste the last 2 lines here. This will help me to find the problem more quickly.
    Last edited by King Kong; October 13, 2007 at 06:43 AM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Default Re: 4.0 FAQs, Problems & Solutions

I think I may have messed up during uninstall.
    I uninstalled M2TW and then I clicked uninstall stainless steel and then deleted the SS folder.

reboot computer and start my install of M2TW, half way through the install I get the following message:
    Feature Transfer Error
    Feature: Packs
    component: packs
    file: D:\main\packs\data_4.pack
    error: gegevensfout (cyclische redunantiecontrole)

last line is in dutch, think it means data error (cyclic redundance controle)
    what's my Ddrive got to do with this?? I only ever install on C. tried it several times from scraatch and the install just crashes halfway through following this message.

I hope I can get hands on our external hard drive and apply my last backup on my computer.
    To avoid doing the same thing again?
    what steps should I take vbefore installing SS4????

thanks in advance

off to play Supreme Commander for change
    als het paard de haver niet lust, dat het dan mijn kloten kust

Geraardsbergen, home of the REAL Manneke Pis

Mate, this seems like a corrupted DVD. That usually cannot be fixed unless you own very good burning device to read the corrupted disc. This D:\main\packs\data_4.pack meaning that the error (bad sector on the disc) is this file... use your backup discs if you have any or try to get new disc from store you purchased M2TW if that's possible...

EDIT: forgot that my backup files only include my documents and media files, damn

I think I know where my mistake is, but not the solution.
    when I clicked the unionstall stainless steel icon it asked if i wanted to delete a file that is write protected, whateever that is, i clicked yes, and then the same message appeared, i then clicked no on all. maybe that one file is out for revenge??

dunno, but I've got a feeling this may be the untimely death of M2TW on my laptop :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Mate, this seems like a corrupted DVD. That usually cannot be fixed unless you own very good burning device to read the corrupted disc. This D:\main\packs\data_4.pack meaning that the error (bad sector on the disc) is this file... use your backup discs if you have any or try to get new disc from store you purchased M2TW if that's possible...

thx for the advice

hmm, may try it with some of my mates'copies since they stopped playing M2TW (they obviously never played SS, only vanilla)

thx again, enjoy yourself

I had lots of different CTD. It happens, for example, at end turn or when i check unit description from buildings.

18:20:22.640 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_strat/residences/textures/NE_ship_dock.TGA.dds is missing
    18:20:22.906 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/water.tga.dds is missing

Are the last 2 lines of .log

thanks in advance

PS: Great mod!

"18:43:28.078 [system.io] [warning] open: data/unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_omail_omail_poland.texture is missing
    18:43:28.578 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

Game crashes when I enter battle mode as Kiev!

EDIT: I fixed it myself. I noticed you have a fix for it out too, but I fixed it by copying and renaming the "EN_omail_omail_kievan.texture" file to "EN_omail_omail_poland.texture"
    Last edited by EvilNed; July 17, 2007 at 01:39 PM.

Started playing as the English - I can not convert the small castles in York and Cork to cities; the conversion is incomplete. The cities remain open without any walls and no buttons to build walls or other city buildings.

How can this be corrected?

Anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by Fridericus Rex View Post
    Started playing as the English - I can not convert the small castles in York and Cork to cities; the conversion is incomplete. The cities remain open without any walls and no buttons to build walls or other city buildings.

How can this be corrected?

Anybody else?
    I had conversion problem too, but I could build other buildings. When I tried to train a unit.. I could select it, but it didn't get retrained. It was grey in color, unlike the usual green.

Default Help...

Ok, so im playing MTW2 using Steam (yeah, yeah, i know, bad idea) anyways, i installed the game, unpacked the files, and then installed SS 4.0. I changed the launch options in steam, and much to my amazement, SS worked. So i started a campaign with the English, and everything was perfect until my first battle. I saw my army for a split second, and then the game crashed. Now, every time i enter a battle the game crashes. Then i ran vanilla, and it still crashed at the begining of every battle.

I hope one of you can help.

Hey does anyone know how to get the cine ed to work with the 4.0?

FYI I have never used cine ed with a M2TW mod.

I'm impressed:

I just saw a Venetian General with 20 knights rip through 225 Byzantine Spearmen who had the high-ground. There were @30 spearmen in each of the three units left when they'd had enough and routed. Oh, at a loss of FOUR knights.

Also, in 1107 AD I toggled the FoW and Sicily had taken over all of Africa between Egypt and the Moors, Caligari, Bari and were starting in on the Venetians, too.

I don't THINK so...

Something's amiss?
    Last edited by HistoryProf; July 18, 2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot something?

Mate try Quark and Shef's RC/UAI solution and you will see the difference.
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

Default Re: Help...

Report the last three lines from the system log file in the main folder. SS updates the staregy and shared sd files for vanilla, so it may be thats the issue. Try downloading the hotfix 3 as this resets those files.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Default Re: Help...

Do you have official patch 1.2 ?
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

12:23:44.890 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists

observation:
    during a turn all the images went weird, and some general's face replaced every button (eg. assault castle, close window, etc. butons). when I clicked end turn it CTD'd.

one question as well, is UAI ctually incorperated in this? it crashed before I could tell, I just noticed that troop movement points were low (unlike UAI), so I guess, is there something I need to do to enable UAI in it?

thanks,

Hi demostene & maydarz,

The bug with the symbols is fixed when you install the newest Hotfix.

Hi fredericus Rex,
    hmm.. never happened to me, but I'll look into this...

Hi IrishDrunk,
    Hey does anyone know how to get the cine ed to work with the 4.0?

FYI I have never used cine ed with a M2TW mod.
    Chola Kingdom has made a guide for this. You'll find it in the "User Mods & Contributions" topic.

Hi History Prof,
    I just saw a Venetian General with 20 knights rip through 225 Byzantine Spearmen who had the high-ground. There were @30 spearmen in each of the three units left when they'd had enough and routed. Oh, at a loss of FOUR knights.
    The units will be much more balanced in the next patch...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Hi MaxDarz

Yes, UAI is included, but only the AI - not the actual campaign settings or movement modifiers, they're all SS unique.

As for your problem with the textures appearing all over the place, check out the stickied thread for hotfix #3 as that should fix this
    30 Mis-spellings of Shaeffer and counting!

15:21:43.656 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    15:24:22.031 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Game crashes when ending turn, but not every turn. Playing as the Templars, installed the Hotfix #3.

Anyone else have a similar problem with any faction? The screen goes blank, and the windows 'error' sound plays. Pressing enter gets you back to desktop, but then you don't know what the error message was.

Default problem with SS 4.0

I installed Stainless Steel 4.0 and redirection it on the right files on steam, where i buy it, the problem is when i launch stainless steel I got this error: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...is/erreur_.jpg

Strange cause i was on steam.....

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast