Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reality Traits & Supply

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Reality Traits & Supply

@Chola_Kingdom

This really isn't a "I don't like Byg's mod because it stops me blitzing" issue. As I stated in my last post, I don't blitz and and I do like a leisurely campaign. This is about significantly changing the gameplay. Most people will probably enjoy the extra level of complexity and challenge, and I don't have a problem with that, but it just doesn't suit me and it spoils my enjoyment of the game.

I'm not saying Byg's is a bad mod or a bad idea, far from it, it impresses the hell out of me. I'm just asking for the option not to implement it. In essence, it's no different to having the choice between Easy, Medium, Hard and Very Hard. I play at Medium because that's the level that gives me most fun playing the game, not Very Hard because that's the macho thing to do.

If SS stops being fun for me because of one new element, isn't it reasonable for me to ask if something can be done?

Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    That's odd, my traits don't take away all movement points. What other traits do you have?

You cannot resupply in a city that is not at least 50% loyal to you (50% your religion type). However on winning a battle/conquering a city you can steal some supplies so you should not be suffering from "out of supplies"

Can you give any more detail - like have you ended the turn?

I hope you can give me more of the details, but otherwise check out my previous post.

It's probably nothing to do with your traits matey. In my last Byzantine campaign on 3.2 I had a lousy emperor who gained an "indolence" trait that meant I couldn't even move him out of Constantinople and ship him off to the Black Sea and throw him overboard, let alone go on campaign with him.

In the end I had no option but to let him die of old age. In the good old days of Rome I'd have been able to spike his mushrooms. Where's Livia when you need her.
    Last edited by Tony83; July 16, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    That's odd, my traits don't take away all movement points. What other traits do you have?

You cannot resupply in a city that is not at least 50% loyal to you (50% your religion type). However on winning a battle/conquering a city you can steal some supplies so you should not be suffering from "out of supplies"

Can you give any more detail - like have you ended the turn?

I hope you can give me more of the details, but otherwise check out my previous post.
    Here is a picture of my current situation. Hopefully this can help you find the source of the problem, or point out what I need to do to make this general viable again.

By 50% loyal, do you mean 50% of the population has to be Orthodox? If that is the case, I think I have found my problem.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    OK, lets make this clear, RL got in way of playing so I have not had a chance to play yet. Therefore don't know what out the Byg trait system I will keep (I always mod my files). However I have looked at the file and lots of hard work there, which some people will like, others will not, thats why we have mods.

The attached file removes all the byg traits from the traits file. Why, because of this thread in which some people do not like them. I cannot post which bits I like/not like, because its Byg's mod and thats his decision. Obviously KK liked it, otherwise it would not be in v4.0.

Hope this helps those who prefer the game without. Btw, if this is objectionable, byg/KK let me know and will remove - just trying to help out.

PS: BACKUP FIRST BEFORE REPLACING IN THE \Stainless_Steel_Mod FOLDER.
    Not objectionable at all Quark. Well done.

@ sharpz214

Yes, to get supplies in a city you must have that regions religious loyalty at over 50%.
    I should add that if that trait alone is affecting your movement points then I will ask kk to amend this to half of this loss of movement.
    Thank you very much for this important feedback.
    Are there any other movement traits in his list?

Proximity of all enemy units including rebels affects your foraging ability, but you aren't foraging in a city so you should be ok.
    Try using another army (and initiating battle with the new army not the one inside) to knock away that rebel army. If your general recovers his movement then this is something I must correct, but I doubt this.
    Last edited by Byg; July 16, 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Greenbeef's Avatar Civis

Thank you Quark, that saves me alot of time.

I think it's a great concept, but it really only appeals to a small portion of those that play this mod.

I tend to restrain myself in campaigns to make them more enjoyable. So when there are handicaps given to the AI, it just doesn't play right. With this mini-mod incorporated into the main mod, it forces everyone to use a specific play-style.

Let me end by saying it's a great idea, it just doesn't work for everyone.

PS: Sharpz, can't you just move the units without the general? That might let you side-step this issue.
    Last edited by Greenbeef; July 16, 2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Addition

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeef View Post
    PS: Sharpz, can't you just move the units without the general? That might let you side-step this issue.
    I can, but I will no longer have a general to lead my men, which I am concerned about.

I have also come to to conclusion that I will play with this mod, it adds quite a bit of depth and Total War. I just have to get used to it.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I think it just lacks a good explanation in SS 4.0 description. Knowing how it works and what it adds helps a lot to get accustomed to it and start loving it. I just underwent whole this process and now as a fan of this little thing can write: GIVE IT A LONGER TRY, you will learn to love it. :-)

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpz214 View Post
    I can, but I will no longer have a general to lead my men, which I am concerned about.

I have also come to to conclusion that I will play with this mod, it adds quite a bit of depth and Total War. I just have to get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    I think it just lacks a good explanation in SS 4.0 description. Knowing how it works and what it adds helps a lot to get accustomed to it and start loving it. I just underwent whole this process and now as a fan of this little thing can write: GIVE IT A LONGER TRY, you will learn to love it. :-)
    Thanks Sirs, here's the link to my thread. You most definitely need the full explanation to play with this:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060

Byg - was wondering if you could modify your supply traits when on Crusade, maybe somehow make rations and morale go down only half as quickly since i would be guessing morale was usually higher on crusade?

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Much appreciated Quark.

Byg, don't let people like me get you down, it just aint my thing

byg, the supply traits are awesome, i change my mind. Altho i absolutely hate some of those negative traits, such as dishonor and overconfidence. The overconfidence trait is absolutely ridiculous , it's all over the place. I edited the thing and it's pretty good now,

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

I'm playing as the K-R and moving in a straight line from Kiev to Caffa (closest rebel outpost) my troops were already weary before they got there and I was at 50% supplies...isn't that a bit harsh considering how big the map is?

I personally enjoy the added realism your mod adds to SS Byg!

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel-Richie View Post
    I'm playing as the K-R and moving in a straight line from Kiev to Caffa (closest rebel outpost) my troops were already weary before they got there and I was at 50% supplies...isn't that a bit harsh considering how big the map is?
    quark has a character trait file that removes byg's traits. go to the first page, btw, rename that text to the original and then overwrite it

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Hey Byg, is there any way to be resupplied from forts as well as settlements or ships?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I have just started a Byzantine campaign and I am loving the new supply system! Great work Byg! I must admit it is gonna take a bit of getting used to but it adds a whole new level of gameplay.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Kyias's Avatar Semisalis

The mod looks nice, but like other posters I take a layed back approach on M/M...and ussually take around 10-12 territories then just sit on them like a "country."

The concept is nice but I see this mod getting in the way of my style than helping it.

Would it be possible to have the installer allow us to choose which "extra mods such as UAI 1.5, this Reality mod, BBB and the others we would like to add rather than be stuck with them all?

I know in the UAI installer we had a choice to include the realistic build trees, movement increases and the others...with only the core files being mandatory (rest had check boxes and you choose which you do and don't want.)

Is this the case for SS 4.0 or is it an all or none deal?

Foederatus

I am not quite sure if the trait "overconfident" is from Byg's mod, but it occurs way too much... Over 3/4 of my generals have it and it takes away 3 command points, which is pretty steep... Just thought I would throw that in here and see if it was from Byg's mod. *If it is, what triggers this trait?*

@Byg
    Listen, your mod is very good. It does however, require people to hang on during the learning curve. Not because its THAT complex, but because it requires more patience.

It does not appeal to I'd wager a good 50% of the players...

My guess is that you are just ahead of our time, seriously.

I think a fix for the supply system is in order, although I personally REALLY like it.
    (Still toned down the dishonor trait )

I think it really seperates the players in the increased micromanagement/fast play. Its just a matter of taste really, or so I believe.

This really makes me wonder if there is a point to make my minimod...it requires a more micromanagement than yours!!

Psssssss byg's mod owns. It's super easy to familiarize with, and adds another strategical aspect to campaigning. Unless its implemented differently than in DLV you people are crazy for wanting to remove it.

lol poor Byg's, don't worry. All us DLV player enjoy your mod!

I like to see these guy try out DLV and see how far they can move and how fast they'll run out money in just 1 year.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast