Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reality Traits & Supply

Indefinitely Banned

Default Reality Traits & Supply

Is there any way of switching off these new "Reality Traits"? I've only been playing 4.0 for a couple of hours and my irritation level with them is incredibly high.

This is a level of micromanagement that really doesn't appeal. I mean, are we even on a level playing field? Are these restrictions applied equally to the AI? Probably not, would be my guess.

I love SS, and I've been playing it since its first incarnation, it's about the only mod these days that keeps me away from Rome. But this is going to be a game-breaker for me.

Couldn't it be optional, like Land Bridges, Formations or Fatigue are in some of the Rome mods (RTR, XGM etc.)?
    Last edited by Tony83; July 17, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Reality Traits

I agree, I'm not a big fan of all the realism.

Would have been nice as an option instead of it included. It seems like a lot of people like it around here though so I don't know if we have any sway.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

I mostly get comments from people that like it, but kk might consider taking it out if enough didn't. Then those that want those changes could install them as they like.

Meanwhile, keep your armies on the move with a plan in mind and not hanging about in the field. You then will not be too aware of supply restrictions etc. For most players these things become intuitive after a while.

Good luck

You really need to read this before playing:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060
    Last edited by Byg; July 16, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

Default Re: Reality Traits & Supply

Yeah no one really cares for these new stupid traits. I'm going to spend atleast an hour editing the game before I even play it

I half agree. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to like them or not, but again thats personal choice. I do agree that it would've been better to have this as an optional mod especially since its split opinion down the middle, but either way its a bit harsh to call it stupid.

Byg's actually done bloody well to pull off what he has, thats not easy and whether I like them or not I can't help but give him kudo's for that
    30 Mis-spellings of Shaeffer and counting!

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post
    Yeah no one really cares for these new stupid traits. I'm going to spend atleast an hour editing the game before I even play it
    A little harsh don't you think? Byg did a great job with these traits and I respect his work but it's just not my cup of tea.

edit/shaeffer basically summarized it

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    I mostly get comments from people that like it, but kk might consider taking it out if enough didn't. Then those that want those changes could install them as they like.

Meanwhile, keep your armies on the move with a plan in mind and not hanging about in the field. You then will not be too aware of supply restrictions etc. For most players these things become intuitive after a while.

Good luck
    I've just been reading your thread and I'm incredibly impressed with what you have achieved with your mod, and I can understand why a lot of people appreciate and enjoy it. It's not personal, it just doesn't suit the way I like to play the game.

I've also found from experience to avoid mods that include 0-turn recruitment, "Garrison" and "Field-cost" scripting for exactly the same reason.

I hope that some "switch" option is possible, because I'd hate for this to be the parting of the ways for SS and me.

@ Poisoner Isn't that being a little rude?

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

just go thru the export_descr_character_traits file and remove the traits and triggers you dont like. I always removed the stripped trait as I like to move titles around generals

cheers
    Jason

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

I also am not a big fan of this trait mod. I do not mind the supplies so much, that requires some nice strategy and makes it alot harder to rush the AI. Although somehow it needs to be turned off for crusades, When you start in the north it is going to take awhile to get to Jerusalem.

The other traits like overconfident and reputation destroyed and all these other ones that seem to change every turn dont interest me and mostly annoy. Byg did do a great job but it doesnt add realism to me but the opposite.

Not sure who thought to put in the -5 movement for winter but that is a horrible penalty, especially if you are in the north where it snows more.

Patrician

Thanks for the comments, kind or otherwise. My intention for my stuff has always been to make the game very hard for people who like it to really be very hard with more planning and less blitzing. As I have always stated that as my intention then I guess kk included these traits for the same reason.

We have it way too easy fighting the AI. If you are finding it tough with these traits or annoying trying to deal with them then play at hard level in battles in stead of VH and you will probably be able to play a lot more blitz style than my stuff allows at VH.

I hope everyone gets what they want.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

i love this realistic mate so don't get disappointed i love the realism otherwise i would sweep through the europe in 200 turns rather than 400 turns

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Civis

yeah, I like the realistic part of the game too. It will need to take getting used to so.

Byg did a great job on implementing his system into the game, but to me it just detracts from the general gameplay. If i wanted to have to worry about every single issue with the general running of my empire then i'd play civ 4 again, but im here to play Total War. I feel confident in the fact that in the game im sure my generals have a few supply masters that can take care of logistics. It starts to feel like a sid meier game or, oregon trail total war, where i have to worry about not having enough citrus and my troops dying of scurvy :\

The quality of his work is really apparent, but i would rather have certain additions to the game made optional upon install, as i guess at least quite a few people would to further enable each player be able to play the game they want.

@ all

I am not rude, just ask Mike.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post

We have it way too easy fighting the AI. If you are finding it tough with these traits or annoying trying to deal with them then play at hard level in battles in stead of VH and you will probably be able to play a lot more blitz style than my stuff allows at VH.
    Hehe - thanks for the suggestion matey but I guess it still leaves me stuffed, because I play the game M/M and I like a leisurely paced campaign (400 turns is far too short ).

One man's "way too easy" is another's "just right".

Foederatus

For some reason I just captured a castle with my general and he is STILL out of supplies. I cannot move him out because he has NO movement points. He is basically stuck there, troops are deserting. Meh, I wish there was an option for this mod.

Byg's did a great job, but I hate the sheer fact of movement decrease. I just don't like it.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ProneStar! View Post
    Byg did a great job on implementing his system into the game, but to me it just detracts from the general gameplay. If i wanted to have to worry about every single issue with the general running of my empire then i'd play civ 4 again, but im here to play Total War. I feel confident in the fact that in the game im sure my generals have a few supply masters that can take care of logistics. It starts to feel like a sid meier game or, oregon trail total war, where i have to worry about not having enough citrus and my troops dying of scurvy :\

The quality of his work is really apparent, but i would rather have certain additions to the game made optional upon install, as i guess at least quite a few people would to further enable each player be able to play the game they want.
    Good post Sir, to knock out the effect of being out of supplies do this (even mid campaign whilst the game is off):

Open the file export_descr_character_ traits with notepad

search " Level Out_Of_Supplies"

type ";" at the begining of each or all of the effects you dislike.

e.g. Effect Loyalty -4

becomes

; Effect Loyalty -4

save the file.

Supplies will still happen but you wont have to worry about them. The trait will tell you that you still suffer from these effects but you wont.

Good luck in your campaigns. Now I have to get to work introducing scurvy...
    Last edited by Byg; July 16, 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

guys dont do blitzering go easy on give rest to the soldiers give atleast 2 turns then move it and i never ever get the problem for this chalenge except the command point this will give "no starve out" take the better general to the battle not some goofies. capture the near rebel cities build the empire no no and no blitz that will solve it because you guys losing the essence of the game. you can see the timurids and newworld if you use this challenge.
    friends this is game and little bit more challenge is fun
    about 40 months ago i was a slave to the cheats now i can withstand and i feel the realistic there without it and you wont get bored after 100 turns

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpz214 View Post
    For some reason I just captured a castle with my general and he is STILL out of supplies. I cannot move him out because he has NO movement points. He is basically stuck there, troops are deserting. Meh, I wish there was an option for this mod.

Byg's did a great job, but I hate the sheer fact of movement decrease. I just don't like it.
    That's odd, my traits don't take away all movement points. What other traits do you have?

You cannot resupply in a city that is not at least 50% loyal to you (50% your religion type). However on winning a battle/conquering a city you can steal some supplies so you should not be suffering from "out of supplies"

Can you give any more detail - like have you ended the turn?

I hope you can give me more of the details, but otherwise check out my previous post.

OK, lets make this clear, RL got in way of playing so I have not had a chance to play yet. Therefore don't know what out the Byg trait system I will keep (I always mod my files). However I have looked at the file and lots of hard work there, which some people will like, others will not, thats why we have mods.

The attached file removes all the byg traits from the traits file. Why, because of this thread in which some people do not like them. I cannot post which bits I like/not like, because its Byg's mod and thats his decision. Obviously KK liked it, otherwise it would not be in v4.0.

Hope this helps those who prefer the game without. Btw, if this is objectionable, byg/KK let me know and will remove - just trying to help out.

PS: BACKUP FIRST BEFORE REPLACING IN THE \Stainless_Steel_Mod FOLDER.
    Last edited by Quark; January 10, 2008 at 08:42 PM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast