Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Fourth Age: Total War - The New Shadow Trailer Released!

Default Re: The Fourth Age: Total War - The New Shadow Trailer Released!

Read on our SCC forum and you might find out something. (www.stratcommandcenter.com)

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Yeah, now every single one of the special units has been fixed and works as desired. It took me some hours to get the trolls done particularly, due to the large number of variables involved, but in the end...
    Their charge is pretty much unstoppable now (and spectacular indeed) and very lethal too.
    brilliant, they are one of the key units the orc tribes have! (that and repeating ballista)
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Siege machines also tweaked.
    Tact, are you using the same movement_speed_modifiers.txt as we do? The charge of units is affected by it, as slower grounds make the charge animations (and therefore bonus application) expire before units make contact.

Celtic Champion, if you can't guess after following Arakorn's link, then you'll have to be tortured for a bit more...

I got it!! the new Faction is the Men of Dale isn't it?
    Repent Today for tomorrow We die
    -Dark Angel Battle Cry

You'll see....

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Siege machines also tweaked.
    I've got snaga orcs powering around on the wagon-mounted ballista, them vs. trolls is very, very funny

Trolls vs. dragons is even more fun

Tact, are you using the same movement_speed_modifiers.txt as we do? The charge of units is affected by it, as slower grounds make the charge animations (and therefore bonus application) expire before units make contact
    The units I'm using are about 2 months old so I doubt it - I need to recover the mod (still working on doing so) after my disk crash before I add anything new in.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Dragons vs Trolls and wagon-mounted, goblin-manned ballistas...
    I wanna play this mod!!!!

Good luck with the recovery!

Icon14 Re: The Fourth Age: Total War - The New Shadow Trailer Released!

WOW This is great !!

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Fantastic video great scenes all the way through.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

Fantastic trailer. Loved the previous releases. This one is looking even better.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

WOW just WOW! I had a laugh out loud moment when the Trolls went a cleaving...

Awesome work guys!

it's beautiful
    Mayab Tok 'Palak
    (formerly Yucatan : Total War)
    planning/recruitment thread

Civis

Very lovely trailer! I hope to try this mod once I've exhausted vanilla RTW.

However, it was so good that a few points keep it frustratingly away from "fantastic" status, IMHO.

If I can be allowed some (hopefully) constructive criticism: The trailer probably could have been edited down to half this length and had more "punch". By the time some scrolling text came up, it had been so long since the last snippet that I forgot what it was saying. Consequently, the whole thing felt a little disjointed -- especially since there was no discernible change in the visual theme between each corresponding snippet of text.

At the risk of seeming like I'm picking apart "crian"s hard work, I'm giving it a closer watch, and I'll comment piece by piece:

0:00 - 0:25
    The intro is fantastic -- the muted sepia tones, the standing, ready troops, the slow rhythmic percussion. Very tense and poised.

0:25 - 0:35
    "Dark forces are stirring"

Are the blue guys dark forces? Or the burgundy guys with the horns on their helmets? Or the green guys on horses? Or all three? The visual style wasn't distinct enough here, and everything was happening under a sunny sky. I was told about dark forces stirring -- I expect to see dark forces stirring.

0:35 - 1:20
    "and old alliances have grown cold"

This was a good bit -- with old alliances growing cold, one expects to see everyone mobilising for war. This was a little too long, however. Dudes marching. Horses marching. More horses marching. Dudes standing. Wash, rinse, repeat.

1:02 - 1:05
    The video quality on YouTube was probably too low to do this clip (a sea of horses marching over a hilly grassland) justice.

1:20 - 3:28
    "The darkness spreads, war shall engulf Middle-earth"

This is another good bit. Footmen readying their shields, archers firing on the advancing orcs (I think?); and then another, hillside battle with a more brutal feel and darker colours; then a plateau battle. It made an excellent build-up to the climax.

But we're barely half-way through the trailer! Why is it climaxing so quickly?

3:28 - 4:39
    This cavalry-themed battle montage would have been excellent if the whole trailer were half the length. As such it just seems to drag on a bit.

4:39 - 5:11
    "...but the darkest shadow of all lies within"

The tagline hints at some sort of drama or intrigue.. but we're treated to (albeit lovely) artillery fire. Is artillery the darkest shadow? This scene seems a little disjointed.

5:11 - 5:17
    Perfect! We see massive trolls for a brief moment, then we see them RIPPING :wub: UP through some footmen, then they're gone. Very brief, brutal and dramatic.

5:17 - 5:22
    "prepare for total war!"

Again, perfect. The warning to prepare makes us feel apprehension, and the tie-in with total war (the military term and the gaming franchise) is very apropos.

5:22 - 5:35
    Another perfect scene. One last brief, violent glimpse of trolls absolutely destroying some footmen. The troll shrieking sound (I assume that's what it was) makes an excellent addition to the scene.

5:35 - 5:40
    "The Fourth Age: Total War // The New Shadow // www.thefourthage.org"

Very nice, especially with the panning shot of the troops in battle. Again, the sepia tones settle the mood and make for a graceful exit. However, I would have liked to see "The New Shadow" fade in under "The Fourth Age: Total War", instead of replacing it, as it confuses me -- what is the mod's name? The Fourth Age, or The New Shadow? Then the addy fading in at the bottom, so that all the text is on the screen at the very end. That's just me though.

Anyways, I hope I didn't come off like a pedantic :wub:, but I wanted to leave my input. I hope it's received in the spirit in which it was given.

Like I said, I quite liked the trailer overall, and look forward to trying the mod itself. Good job boys (and girl(s)?)!

-Glee
    Last edited by Gleemonex; July 19, 2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

Thx for your feedback, I'm sure Crian will appreciate it!

Nah, no girls on the team currently...

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

That was a very good critique and I cannot disagree with it.

The mod is 'The Fourth Age - Total War : The New Shadow"
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

This video is cool.

Just playing my first RK campaign and I think the mod is awesome, marvellous.

Besides, its very stable, with not a single CTD at hte moment.

BTW, any hints about which will be the new 2.0 faction - aside from Hobbit Legionnaries- and the date for the new release -aside from soon or when it's done? ;-)

No. (Or I could just tell you what I've told the others, there mayb be snippets of info on our SCC forum)

Oh, well, thanks... snippets at SCC... Perhaps something specially evil I saw there?

Miki, thx for the comments, stability is one of the things we strive for.
    And yep, the New Shadow is full of eeeeeviiiiiil......

did i give you permission to use my name? nooo. so it can't be THAT evil
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast