Thread: Is it Possible...?

Laetus

Default Is it Possible...?

I've just posted a "mod idea" thread on a forum I use and I was wondering if the following would be possible.

• Bring back titles. If there is one thing I miss more than any other, it is the titles available to give to generals, making them permanent governers over a provinces rather than relying on whoever was in the castle for that turn. With this I would attempt to bring back Acumen and Educational buildings back into the game. This would also mean my Generals wouldn't be rotting away in their castles just so my settlement has a governor.

• Stationing armies on others land will lead to the worsening of relations and eventually a declaration of war. I would like to add a "Get off my lands" option to the diplomacy screen, among others. With Armies defending on enemy land gaining much less of an advantage from being the defnding army.

• Non military buildings which produce units (brothels and such) will create units at a base of 1 experience point at the lowest building quality and produce units at +1 unit experience per upgrade of the building. I'm mostly just sick of building these upgrades and it having almost no effect on the units I am creating. It feels like I'm paying 500 florins for a peasant to put on a suit. So this way the better the building the better the unit it will produce. (Maybe some variety for Spy's and Assasins as they are essentially mercenaries) Actually I'm not certain if this is already the case or not. If it is then ignore.

• In accordance with the above issue it may be neccesary to make assasinations harder. (I've seen this is possible)

• Non Military units appear outside the city/castle which produced them. Just basically so it's possible to keep track of them, and you don't have Princesses rotting away inside a castle for 10 years before you notice them.

• Make enemies less inclined to try bribing your armies. It's just really annoying and slows up the end of turn run through if you are watching enemy moves. Infact, I'd like to stop the game from displaying any failed subversive incidents because I may go insane if I have to watch these slow motion encounters anymore. Though I have decided to never tick the "watch enemy moves" option now, the problem appears to persist if they are doing it to me.

• Give rebels who pop up in your lands a greater ability to disturb trade and public order. The game I've just played I had two rebel armies situated in England and Wales and I just left them there because they didn't seem to be causing me any problems. This will force the player to enforce the rule of Law.

• Bring back the slaugther of POW's on the battlefield and the sound which used accompany it. I would like if I could get this to lead to a temporary, greater fear of your general and lessened enemy moral, dependant on the numbers kill. (unlikely I'd imagine)

• Removal of the Americas and shortening of the grand Campaign, with each move representing 6 months. They didn't even appear in the game I've played so I can't guage if they add anything to the game, but my belief is that they are a gimick. I would end the Campaign in the year 1453 (Or possibly earlier, but I like the year 1453).

• Introduce a new Campaign type which represents the life of your monarch. So it would end if he was killed in Battle. Refer to the bottom for the details on this.

• For the Kings Campaign (above), each turn would represent a season, so four per year (I have read that this isn't possible, pretty much nullifying this as a possibility). This would mean averaging about 120 - 160 turns for those campaigns.EDIT Just tried out alpaca's script for this, and many thanks. It worked really well from the few turns I tried. The main problem I see now with this, is that it would have many different campaigns (with one playable faction), all starting on different years (the crowning of the king) and I noticed that a lot of the scripting with regards to time was done as an offset of the starting period. I assume this will cause problems. I'm going to have a look into this tomorrow.

• Complete overhaul of the traits and Retinue system including : Effect, probabilities, causes and influence during battle.

Aesthetics
    • Re-design of the GUI on both the Campaign and Battle map. I'm not sure if I'd actually change button positions, but I'd definately change the chunky surrounds. They just look kack.

• Darker terrain textures, less cartoony and vibrant. I'd make them dull and wet looking for western and eastern Europe, not sure If I'd change the Middle Eastern regions

• Removal of the cgi videos, replaced with pictures like in Medieval 1 or videos akin to those of Company of Heroes. I'll see if I can get the artwork that's shown at the end of Medieval 1 for proof of this over gay videos.

• Replace the English Castle mesh on the Campaign with the one they have in central Europe.

I propose a campaign based completely around the King available at that time. With the Campaign ending with the death of the King, your death. I believe this will create a much more involving experience and bring back the strong character elements of the game which have become diluted through larger family trees and random superfluous character traits. I remember in M1 I used to actively try and play the game a little different with each King, but in the end it was always at the preservation of the Kingdom, I hope this much shortened and frantic campaign would allow people to try something different and will lead to the latter game stages being a less futile experience. This would also make people more inclined to take care to have stronger children in terms of their traits. I remember in M1 I quite often killed my future heir if he was a "damaged", in M2 I don't even notice who is my heir. I'd like to make it so the player can spectate for a hundred turns after his death or something, but yeah not too bothered about that.

This is the main element of the mod I'd like to implement, so if that's not possible (and it would require a time scale of 0.25 to work properly) then I won't bother.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by cHeal; July 14, 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it Possible...?

Moved to the workshop...

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Bring back titles. If there is one thing I miss more than any other, it is the titles available to give to generals, making them permanent governers over a provinces rather than relying on whoever was in the castle for that turn. With this I would attempt to bring back Acumen and Educational buildings back into the game. This would also mean my Generals wouldn't be rotting away in their castles just so my settlement has a governor.
    You can have them as traits but not as the MTW style titles.

Stationing armies on others land will lead to the worsening of relations
    Already happens.

I would like to add a "Get off my lands" option to the diplomacy screen, among others. With Armies defending on enemy land gaining much less of an advantage from being the defnding army.
    Not possible.

Non military buildings which produce units (brothels and such) will create units at a base of 1 experience point at the lowest building quality and produce units at +1 unit experience per upgrade of the building. I'm mostly just sick of building these upgrades and it having almost no effect on the units I am creating. It feels like I'm paying 500 florins for a peasant to put on a suit. So this way the better the building the better the unit it will produce. (Maybe some variety for Spy's and Assasins as they are essentially mercenaries) Actually I'm not certain if this is already the case or not. If it is then ignore.
    Yup that's possible via the export_descr_buildings.txt file.
    In accordance with the above issue it may be neccesary to make assasinations harder. (I've seen this is possible)
    Yes it is possible. descr_campaign_db.xml

Non Military units appear outside the city/castle which produced them. Just basically so it's possible to keep track of them, and you don't have Princesses rotting away inside a castle for 10 years before you notice them.
    Not possible.

Make enemies less inclined to try bribing your armies. It's just really annoying and slows up the end of turn run through if you are watching enemy moves. Infact, I'd like to stop the game from displaying any failed subversive incidents because I may go insane if I have to watch these slow motion encounters anymore. Though I have decided to never tick the "watch enemy moves" option now, the problem appears to persist if they are doing it to me.
    That only happens when your relatinos with that faction are deteriorating, so unless you mod it so your relations stay good, no way to stop that from happening.

Give rebels who pop up in your lands a greater ability to disturb trade and public order. The game I've just played I had two rebel armies situated in England and Wales and I just left them there because they didn't seem to be causing me any problems. This will force the player to enforce the rule of Law.
    Increasing the effects of devestation in descr_settlement_mechanics.xml will make rebels more of a problem.

Bring back the slaugther of POW's on the battlefield and the sound which used accompany it. I would like if I could get this to lead to a temporary, greater fear of your general and lessened enemy moral, dependant on the numbers kill. (unlikely I'd imagine)
    Not possible.

Removal of the Americas and shortening of the grand Campaign, with each move representing 6 months. They didn't even appear in the game I've played so I can't guage if they add anything to the game, but my belief is that they are a gimick. I would end the Campaign in the year 1453 (Or possibly earlier, but I like the year 1453).
    Possible through map editing to remove the Americas. you'd need to edit descr_strat.txt to change the timescale and end date.

Introduce a new Campaign type which represents the life of your monarch. So it would end if he was killed in Battle. Refer to the bottom for the details on this.
    Not possible.
    Complete overhaul of the traits and Retinue system including : Effect, probabilities, causes and influence during battle.
    Doable through editing export_descr_character_traits.txt

Re-design of the GUI on both the Campaign and Battle map. I'm not sure if I'd actually change button positions, but I'd definately change the chunky surrounds. They just look kack.
    You can edit the look of the GUI through editing the .tga files for it.
    Darker terrain textures, less cartoony and vibrant. I'd make them dull and wet looking for western and eastern Europe, not sure If I'd change the Middle Eastern regions
    Same as above.

Removal of the cgi videos, replaced with pictures like in Medieval 1 or videos akin to those of Company of Heroes. I'll see if I can get the artwork that's shown at the end of Medieval 1 for proof of this over gay videos.
    Possible.

Replace the English Castle mesh on the Campaign with the one they have in central Europe.
    They're the same.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Laetus

Much appreciated, thanks.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Non Military units appear outside the city/castle which produced them. Just basically so it's possible to keep track of them, and you don't have Princesses rotting away inside a castle for 10 years before you notice them.
    This is possible I think, you would have to check the AgentCreated then use e_select_character then move to x,y. But its a total waste of resources. Right clicking on your agents tab will bring up a list. Anyone with only a city name is inside the city, anyone with Something Region isnt in a settlement.

The other thing you could do is bring up a message window when AgentCreated tags true then snap to or flash the settlement. But like I said waste of time.

Introduce a new Campaign type which represents the life of your monarch. So it would end if he was killed in Battle. Refer to the bottom for the details on this.
    This is partially possible, depending on what exactly you want to happen. You would have to take a serious look at the conditions for victory and make sure you could actually win a game.

First off you can do 4 years per turn, alpaca wrote a script on it but there are some issues, I dont remember exactly what they are. I know some of the issues revolve around winter showing up on battle maps and stuff like that.

As for ending the campaign when the king dies the trigger would be:
    CeasedFactionLeader tied to the name of your king, which you control through desc_strat

Then you would call console_command victory and give the victory to another faction and play a video

Then you would call game_quit and end the game.

Laetus

ARRRGHHH. None of the scripting is working. ARRGGHHH. I'm getting increasingly tired of this. I'll have to have a proper read of the scripting tuts, but at the moment half the commands don't work. Not even game_quit!!!!

Where exactly can I find the "available_ui_element_ids.txt" file?

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment, all I want is to get the bloody campaign to quit when the leader dies.