Thread: How to make crosbowmen rate of fire slower

Default How to make crosbowmen rate of fire slower

Hello,
    If somebody needs it:
    You can play arroud with modifiers of crossbowmens to change them for modifiers of hand gunners

there are 3 different levels of slower rate of fire you can achive:

1)They will fire from first rank only (1/2 or 1/3 of troops can fire simultiniously)
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, gunpowder_unit, gunmen

2)They will fire from first rank only and l spent extra time until the change they ranks (using fire_by_ranks modifier)
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, gunpowder_unit, gunmen, fire_by_rank

3)They will fire by ranks and wait praticular time aiming until fire
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, gunpowder_unit, fire_by_rank, start_not_skirmishing
    stat_pri 14, 1, musket_bullet, 180, 30, missile, missile_gunpowder, piercing, none, 25, 1
    and set
    delay gunpowder 30.0 (or such)
    in descr_projectile.txt

Note
    1)You can't just copy attributes, stat_pri from musketeer, because it will cause that the crossbow will releas smoke
    wich looks quite strange for mechanical weapon ) bud if you remove some parameters of gunners the smoke doesnt apear
    the sound and crossbow animation is not affected.
    2)Maybe the gunnpowder paremeters can affect battle that "the weapon cause fear" and/or in campaigne crossbowunits
    would't be avaible until gunpowder is invented. I didn't test it.

I intend to mod missle units like
    set higher accuracy_vs_units 0.005-0.03
    1)archers - attack 1-5, rapid rate of fire
    2)longbowmens - attack 5-10 rapid rate of fire
    3)crossbow - attack 10-15 slow rate of fire (by ranks)
    5)Gunners - attack 15-25 slow rate of fire, wait while aiming
    because I'd like to have archers to kill quickly unarmoured units and has almost no effect on armoured, and crossbowmens and gunners to kill armoured bud be
    ineffective agains massive armies of weak unarmoured units.

and I find that ways like changing stat_fire_delay and
    stat_pri 14, 1, musket_bullet, 180, 30, missile, missile_gunpowder, piercing, none, 25, 1
    in export_descr_unit.txt and
    delay crossbow_bolt 50.0
    doesn't work
    Last edited by asiJa; July 14, 2007 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: How to make crosbowmen rate of fire slower

What I've noticed was that adding 'gunpowder_unit' attribute to crossbow units made crossbow units fire from the front ranks only.

This does not slow down the rate of fire, but reduces the number of crossbows are used in each volley.

Quote Originally Posted by leeho730 View Post
    What I've noticed was that adding 'gunpowder_unit' attribute to crossbow units made crossbow units fire from the front ranks only.

This does not slow down the rate of fire, but reduces the number of crossbows are used in each volley.
    Yes, and also doesn't this attribute often bug the AI gunpowder units, as they stand around and do nothing?

I've actually modded it out so gunpowder units fire like archer units. I've compensated it by dramatically reducing their range.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

This was done to remove unrealistic firing of densely packed gun powder units. I usually only remove it for skirmisher units (together with the dense formation). It looks a bit odd having the second and third row firing their guns next to the ear of the guy in front of them if you remove it from, let's say, standard musketeers.