Thread: Zeph's Adding Regions To Any Faction Tutorial

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Default Zeph's Adding Regions To Any Faction Tutorial

Hello guys, I have decided to write a tutorial about giving region/cities of any faction including the rebels to an another faction...

By following the tutorial you will be able to distribute the regions among the factions the way you please.If you are not content with certain regions belonging to certain factions,this tutorial will help you making the necessary changes to make it work.

Allright then here we go...

As the only file we are here concerned with is the descr_strat.txt file,unpacking of the files with CA's unpacker tool is unnecessary.

In this tutorial I'll use a single example and by applying it with the same principles you may be able to change the ownership of regions the way you see fit.

ADDING A REBEL PROVINCE TO A FACTION

As a starter now we will add the rebel province of Florence to HRE,by taking it from the rebels and giving the province to the HRE faction.Please follow the instructions below carefully and you shall have no problems accomplishing it.

First Step(Receieving Coordinations of Florence)

First we'll start the game and by using a certain console command,we will receive the coordinates of Florence,we will be needing the coordinates for spotting which rebel general and its army is positioned in Florence.

We'll delete this general located in Florence to prevent movement related bugs.Also we are requiring the coordinates for a HRE general and his army to be placed in Florence;So here we go...

1-Start your medieval 2 game and choose any faction.
    2-Open the console by pressing the console related button on your keyboard.
    3-When the console is opened on the upper left of your screen,type:

toggle_fow

this will remove the fog of war and will allow you to see the whole of the map.

4-Next find the city named Florence and move your cursor over it,hold your cursor over the city without pressing any of your mouse buttons.
    5- In the console command window this time type the following command:

show_cursorstat

You will see this text appear in on the console command window:

pos 142,100, region id 69(Florence Region)

On the information above we are only interested in numbers highlighted in black.. the number "142" indicates X and the number "100" indicates Y.

So we successfully received the coordinates of Florence as:

Florence: x 142, y 100 jot down this info somewhere on a paper.. Let's move on to the next step...

SECOND STEP(DELETING REBEL GENERAL AND HIS ARMY)

Now we'll find and delete the Rebel army positioned in Florence from the descr_strat.txt file to prevent the movement bug to occur.. Here is how we do it:

1-Go to this directory and enter the folder named: imperial_campaign:

Programfiles/SEGA/Medieaval II Total War/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

2-After entering the imperial_campaign folder,search inside for the file named: descr_strat.txt

3-By default the file is "read-only" and we can't save our changes we make to it,right click on the file and from the general tab, untick the option:
    read-only attribute,close the file by clicking apply or ok...Now we'll be able to save after we make our changes...

4-Open the file by double-leftclicking entering it with Notepad.

5-At the top of the file after entering it, move your cursor over anywhere..hold the button CTRL and press the keyboard letter F

6-Enter the coordinates on the small box that had been opened... Type

x 142, y 100 then press enter or the find next tab...

7- Now along with the coordinates being highlighted you will notice the name of the general along with his army's info as stated below:

character sub_faction venice, Blasio Tasso, general, male, age 28, x 142, y 100
    army
    unit Italian Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Italian Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Italian Spear Militia exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Peasant Crossbowmen exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Delete all of this information,but make sure and check after deleting these;There should be only "1" space left between the other information of the rebel generals and armies.
    Second step is also completed,now we'll move on the next...

STEP 3(ADDING FLORENCE TO HRE)

Now we'll basically add Florence to HRE so that in the map now it will be owned by HRE instead of Rebels.

1-Again scroll up to the top of the file,while holding CTRL press F and this time type: Florence then hit the enter button.
    2-You will see this information:

settlement
    {
    level town
    region Florence_Province

year_founded 0
    population 2200
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator spain
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_pallisade
    }
    }

3-Now highlight all of these and by right-clicking over it choose the option "cut"
    Here be careful after choosing the cut option,the spaces between the city codes will be higher,you should arrange so that only "1" space be left between each code..

4-Again scroll up to the top of the file and by ctrl+f open the small window this time type: Innsbruck

This will take you down to the last city information code entered for HRE and we will add the Florence's city info code just below that one...

5-You will see the city info code of Innsbruck which is exactly as indicated below:

settlement castle
    {
    level town
    region Innsbruck_Province

year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator hre
    building
    {
    type core_castle_building wooden_castle
    }
    building
    {
    type missiles bowyer
    }
    building
    {
    type castle_barracks mustering_hall
    }
    }

6-After seeing the code above,make sure you leave 1 space for our Florence code.. right click and choose "paste".. So that now our Florence code is also entered the whole of it should look like this:

settlement castle
    {
    level town
    region Innsbruck_Province

year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator hre
    building
    {
    type core_castle_building wooden_castle
    }
    building
    {
    type missiles bowyer
    }
    building
    {
    type castle_barracks mustering_hall
    }
    }

settlement
    {
    level town
    region Florence_Province

year_founded 0
    population 2200
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator spain
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_pallisade
    }
    }

7-Finally save and exit the file.. Congratulations! You added Florence to HRE...

Now to test it and make it work:

Find the file named medieval2.preferance.cfg inside the medieval2 total war folder located at the directory Programfiles/SEGA/Medieaval II Total War

Enter the file by left clicking and open it ... At the top of the file copy and paste what I wrote below:

[io]
    file_first = true

Now save and close the file,after that right click on the medieval2.preferance.cfg file choose properties and untick the option "read-only" then press apply or ok...

Well that's it by following the same method you may add any rebel province to any faction... Next I'll update the tutorial of how to give new units to the newly added city or region,also I'll tell you guys how to give a region of a certain faction to another faction...

For now enjoy
    Last edited by Zephrelial; July 11, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Civis

Default Re: Zeph's Adding Regions To Any Faction Tutorial

I shall try this.

Carnium's Avatar Civis

Me too. Time to fix Portugal
    So this may also work if I want to give a region to rebels and I can also add the army and general to it ?
    And probably I need to be sure to transfer all the faction troops and agents out of the new rebel province.
    Will try it soon
    Last edited by Carnium; July 15, 2007 at 02:12 PM.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Is it possible to give a region to another faction after a campaign has started?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Ramah's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Is it possible to give a region to another faction after a campaign has started?
    No, not afaik.

This just changes the settning of the campaign. Not anything else.

when i try to make a country settlment example nottingham start of rebel it does not work
    Dont get mad.Get even

Never mind i got that to work but somtimes when after i edit descr start when i click the start campaign button it just goes back to choose campaign screen and would te game work if i wanted to just make a whole country rebels therfore not having then in the game
    Dont get mad.Get even

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post

Now possible.

Hi,
    The OP says that a further tutorial will be made for adding a garrison force to the city once the original occupants have been deleted and the region transferred. I cannot find a guide on how to do this anywhere. I am removing rebel settlements from the game start and wish to give these settlements to other factions and place a garrison force in the city. Can anyone help?