Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do people love guitar solos

Default why do people love guitar solos

why do you think ppl like guitar solos. i like them cause theyre sick
    “We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature.”

Default Re: why do people love guitar solos

only if they are good, over the top 'because i like to wank myself silly' shreding and generally bad solos can ruin a song. good ones are just...good
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Personally I love "emotional" solos.
    Solos that you can feel that not only fits the mood of the song but also the emotions of the one doing the solo. Good examples are Bathory - Call from the grave(Quorthon in general was a emotional player) and Rotting Christ - A Dynasty from the ice.
    Solos like for example Dragonforce do, I just can't stand.
    Yeah he can do 5000 frets a second, wow good for him, it still sounds like ****.

I like a good solo just like the next guy, but I absolutely love rhythm, I dont know why exactly. Obviously that's why I play rhythm guitar. "Mother" & "Pigs on the Wing prt 1&2 by Pink Floyd...ftw. I can sit and play those for ever, feeling every chord, I love it!

"And I have felt the sudden blow of a nameless wind's cold breath,
    And watched the grisly pilgrims go that walk the roads of Death,
    And I have seen black valleys gape, abysses in the gloom,
    And I have fought the deathless Ape that guards the Doors of Doom."
    -Robert E. Howard "Recompense"

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Only the good ones, because they rockkkkkkkkk.......
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Personally I love "emotional" solos.
    Solos that you can feel that not only fits the mood of the song but also the emotions of the one doing the solo. Good examples are Bathory - Call from the grave(Quorthon in general was a emotional player) and Rotting Christ - A Dynasty from the ice.
    Solos like for example Dragonforce do, I just can't stand.
    Yeah he can do 5000 frets a second, wow good for him, it still sounds like ****.
    Agreed completely, especially on Bathory!

Guitar solos when they fit. not retarded shredding that takes up 10 mins
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

guitar solos is what separates the pussies from the bad asses! it determines if your good or not . solos kick ass and you're in the spot light if you shred like a maniac!!

i dont like solos.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

There's a difference between shredding and playing the best solos. Look at some of those people that can play fifty bajillion (that's the exact number) notes a second, but it sounds crap. Now look at some of Santana's stuff, or Led Zeppelin. Sure it's hard to play, but it's not shredding thousands of notes a second.

Same goes for Eric Clapton's stuff and his ilk.

Shredding is impressive ... the first ten times. After that it gets old really fast.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Guitar solos kick ass. Especially if Kerry King of Jeff Hanneman are playing.

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

There are few guitar solos lasting more than 15 seconds that I think are worth listening to.

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post
    Guitar solos kick ass. Especially if Kerry King of Jeff Hanneman are playing.

Slayer solo's suck..... Atonal, random rubbish......
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

hunter260859's Avatar Senator

i like solos especially ones with feel

judas priest do some of the greatest solos as do piink floyd and led zepp

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Rhah View Post
    Slayer solo's suck..... Atonal, random rubbish......
    Agree.
    +rep for you

they started ok at show no mercy then it went down hill after each record

i think dave murray and adrian smith make the best pair, their harmonies are 2nd to none.

sure shredding can get boring, people who can do that are like a dime a dozen these days. like rusty cooley and michael angelo, theyre awesome but they play the same stuff over and over again and yes it gets really boring.
    but there are some shredders who are just plain awesome, joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen, steve vai, paul gilbert and buckethead.

hunter260859's Avatar Senator

i think KK DOWNING and GLEN TIPTON make a better pair they play of each solos so well and their harmonies are great though i do like dave and adrain also why does janick have to do that thing with his guitar every show wheres hes polaying it like above his head.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter260859 View Post
    i think KK DOWNING and GLEN TIPTON make a better pair they play of each solos so well and their harmonies are great though i do like dave and adrain also why does janick have to do that thing with his guitar every show wheres hes polaying it like above his head.
    yea priest is pretty awesome. i think janick does it for show or as a signature move or something

"Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb" has one of the best emotional feeling solos in my opinion.
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

A fantastic solo can make an average song into a great song

Audioslave - Doesn't Remind Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOMSB7s15C8

About 2:50 is one of my favorite guitar solos. The key is to not just be impressive or difficult, but to fit and add to the rest of the song.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast