Thread: For Steam Users

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default For Steam Users

I searched the forum looking for an answer, and there seems to be nothing on the subject of how to install a mod for those who downloaded the game via steam. I've been looking forward to this mod for the last couple of days and have zero technical skills to speak of, so my mastery of copy and paste to the steam directory didn't seem to help me. Could anyone walk me through the process? Thanks in advance.

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Default Re: For Steam Users

Keep in mind that the developers may not have a solution to this if they go the game from DVD rather then Steam. I for one didn't even know that M2TW was available through that system.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Well let me begin by saying i cant stand steam. I dl'd half-life 2 over it and its one of the buggiest games ive ever played. So i suggest you never buy a steam game again.

Well let me get to the point, you cant install mods on medieval 2 through steam. For some reason all steam games are in a crazy large GCF file (whatever that is). Half-Life 2 is a 800mb GCF file for example. There are no folders in which your game files are found therefore, there is just one massive unreadable computer code file that runs the game.

I suggest you go out and buy a normal copy of Medieval if you have the money, otherwise your out of luck.
    Nuclear violence is prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by MEanBOb View Post
    Well let me begin by saying i cant stand steam. I dl'd half-life 2 over it and its one of the buggiest games ive ever played. So i suggest you never buy a steam game again.

Well let me get to the point, you cant install mods on medieval 2 through steam. For some reason all steam games are in a crazy large GCF file (whatever that is). Half-Life 2 is a 800mb GCF file for example. There are no folders in which your game files are found therefore, there is just one massive unreadable computer code file that runs the game.

I suggest you go out and buy a normal copy of Medieval if you have the money, otherwise your out of luck.

That's actually untrue.

To run mods in steam all you have to do is first put the files in
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war

Then right click M2TW on the list of games, click "Set launch options.." and type "@" then the name of the .cfg the mod provides you. For example.

Mine currently says "@ultimateAI.cfg".
    Then hit ok and start game.

Oo almost forgot. If the mod has an installer, then point it to the M2TW directory which is
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war
    You might get errors but then all you do is add the @ plus name of .cfg file to Set Launch Options like I said before.
    Last edited by coldsmoke; July 22, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

thank you for giving me an answer too. I've gotten custom campaign mod to work threw steam but this opens up a bunch of new ones for me.