Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control: I just don't know what to think!

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

Default Gun control: I just don't know what to think!

Since as long as I can remember, I've had an aversion to guns.

I don't like the things. They're loud, dangerous, and (so I thought) unnecessary. Whenever people mention that they own them, I'm involuntarily repulsed.

While I still hold a personal aversion to guns, as an American, I have inherent qualms when terms like "regulation", "restriction", and "control" start being tossed around.

Gun control is one of only a handful of issues that I'm completely undecided on.

Does less guns equal less crime? Can guns work in a free society? Are they necessary for a society to be truly free?

To try out the Youtube embed, here's something by John Stossel, one of the few people in the media that I respect, giving his take.

Default Re: Gun control: I just don't know what to think!

There should be sensible restrictions on guns. I think there is far too large a proportion of people, frankly Americans that do not approach firearms with the maturity and respect that is necessary when dealing with lethal weapons.

The simple question is: What's the purpose of gun ownership?

For sports, okay, for hunting, if it is necessary for wildlife preserves, security... Uhm, somehow most other western countries do not need guns for citizens to ensure their safety.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

I was raised with firearms around me as child. Naturally I think they are the keystone to American liberty. It's only when I drive through downtown Cleveland or Charlotte that I realize there really are some citizens who are not responsible enough to own them. Let's face it, we aren't the nation of English Yeoman than the founding fathers envisioned. Nevertheless, I would fight for the second amendment as much as the first; it is important for at least the core of American society to be armed not only for hunting or personal security, but as a reminder to the state that the people really do hold the ultimate authority.
    Last edited by deRougemont; July 10, 2007 at 04:29 AM.

I agree that people are the problem.

So we have to make sure that only qualified people can get the guns who can store guns securely and can handle guns responsibly and that people around him/her such as neighbours, classmates and relatives feel safe for the owner to have guns.

And gun control does not ban people from using it for self-defence. We, in NZ, had several cases of using guns for self defence during home invasion and the gun owner was not charged.

Like Virginia shooting case, the offender shouldn't get the gun in the first place. Student arming themselves with pistols in campus is really ridiculous. Might as well arm all the teachers with pistols to make it even safer!

What kind of society is this?

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    I was raised with firearms around me as child. Naturally I think they are the keystone to American liberty. It's only when I drive through downtown Cleveland or Charlotte that I realize there really are some citizens who are not responsible enough to own them. Let's face it, we aren't the nation of English Yeoman than the founding fathers envisioned. Nevertheless, I would fight for the second amendment as much as the first; it is important for at least the core of American society to be armed not only for hunting or personal security, but as a reminder to the state that the people really do hold the ultimate authority.
    I believe Swiss interpretation of 2nd Amendment (self-armed militia to reduce cost spent by the federal government) is what Forefathers intended, and Swiss people in general are way more disciplined in terms of use of guns, thanks to compulsory military training. Swiss as a nation practically copied US constitution and seem much better at implementing than US! Less corruption, better democracy, people have real power over the government, relatively crime-free etc etc.

Mind you, they also had a small scale civil war between lefties and righties hundreds of years ago...
    Last edited by leeho730; July 10, 2007 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    With guns? Great... so they fate of the state lies in the hands of any idiot capable to shoot someone which... given the efficiency of today's guns is any idiot walking the streets. That guns can somehow control a government is imo a bit naive. Iraq, Afghanistan and in other regimes the possession of military grade weapons by the populace is normal, but somehow none of these regimes had any great problems beating any armed rebellions to a pulp if the need arose.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

It's also a counter-productive approach because it will cause more net deaths and injuries due to accidents.

Gun control is good, but too much is worse. For instance, if just one person had a CCW permit during the V Tech shootings, it would have ended MUCH faster.

Perhaps. It's speculation at best, fantasy at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinian View Post
    Gun control is good, but too much is worse. For instance, if just one person had a CCW permit during the V Tech shootings, it would have ended MUCH faster.
    Who knows?

Might have become a classic Western-style gun fight (mind you, Cho was also very, very well prepared), or might even have evolved as a hostage situation.

Would have been much more preventable if Cho didn't get the gun in the first place.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well Evariste, all I can say is do your own research on why liberal democrats want them banned, on who the founders of the modern concept of gun control were, on just how effective gun control really has been, and especially on how effective Clinton's famous "Assault Wweapon Ban" was, (i.e. one of the biggest wastes of money and civil liberties in American history, because asdies from cosmentically, assault weapons do not differ from semi auto hunting weapons).

Then answer me this, while you may have an aversion to them, and aversion you have just explained as more or less grounded in fear and personal dislike, you are not being forced to own one. And why should you and others like you take away a right (that many are willing to kill and die for, and indeed they should) simply because you and them are too ignorant on the issue both of guns and on the history/methods of gun control (do you believe banning a rifle simply because it has a bayonet lug on it, will stop crime?) .

And then I'm very grateful you actually posted that you dont have an opinion, because you are ignorant, instead of posting that you do have an opinion and acting like you arent ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Perhaps. It's speculation at best, fantasy at worst.
    You do realise all the myriad cases of robberies, attempted murders, AND attempted massacres dont make it on national or international news right?
    Last edited by Evariste; July 10, 2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Team Member <3

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

In my counrty it's illegal to own a gun. We don't have guns but we are safe.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

same as derouge I was raised with guns, I learned how to shoot when I was only 10 ( and busted my forehead open because I didnt know how to contain the recoil :O)-- I am NOT a hunter nor have I ever liked the attitude behind hunting, we have never had to use our firearms in any way (save a rare few times on animals who are dangerous, and to test them)

--but I feel guns are art, my father manufactured guns for a long time, and I spent many hours helping him tool them, and etching designs into the steel, I feel a gun is equal to any other piece of art, and I will keep collecting them until my dying day

I am very very familiar with the american gun laws and let me tell you they are not lax in the least, I have personally been involved in 3 atf visits to my home where we gave them full tours, explanations, and serials, and a full list of everything in our possession; anyone who owns a gun legally ( for the most part) will NEVER commit a crime with it.

I agree with ferrets that many people do not give the proper respect to guns that they deserve, they are tools of only one purpose, machines designed for only killing, they should never ever be in the hands of people who dont realize how dangerous they are-- but the same goes for hazzardous chemicals, cars etc.

and lastly owning a weapon is the only thing that truly makes you a citizen, whithout your own rifle you are simply a slave. :O (waiting to happen)

but like I said despite my bs reasons, I was raised with guns, I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword of Cao Cao View Post
    You do realise all the myriad cases of robberies, attempted murders, AND attempted massacres dont make it on national or international news right?
    I assume where you're going with this is that they're all stopped by good ol' boys with guns, yee-haw.

no but thousands of crimes are stopped by responsible citizens using firearms to protect themselves and others.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    I assume where you're going with this is that they're all stopped by good ol' boys with guns, yee-haw.
    I'm not a ****ing redneck, I dont have a ****ing accent, I do not live by them around them or with them.

You dont wanna be ****ing stereotyped? Dont you dare do it to me.
    Last edited by Scorch; July 10, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
    Team Member <3

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

not this topic again!, last time we had 50 pages worth of it and we just went around in circles.

its a cultural thing i guess because I can never understand why some (we are talking only some here) seem to just against the slightest form of control.

i personally dont see how any normal sane person would object to the following gun controls.

no one under the age 18 is allowed to buy or own a firearm.
    kids once they are 13 can use a gun under the care of an adult.

what would anyone have against that? i hear kids as young as 7 having guns!

i personally say treat a gun like a car, before you can have one you need a few lessions and a test, written and practical to prove you can be responcible before being allowed to have a gun

Syron's Avatar Civitate

Of course there should be an age limit on gun ownership but above that i don't see how you have the right to refuse someone the right to have a gun.
    Member and acting regent of the House of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Under the patronage of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Freedom from religion is just as much a basic human right as freedom of it.

Particle Physics Gives Me a Hadron

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword of Cao Cao View Post
    I'm not a ****ing redneck, I dont have a ****ing accent, I do not live by them around them or with them.

You dont wanna be ****ing stereotyped? Dont you dare do it to me.
    May I politely ask, then, if you would not mind, explaining to me what instead was the thrust of your point?

Juggernawt's Avatar Semisalis

That clip is just stupid. The problem is that there already is a massive amount of guns in the US and there's no way to get people to toss them all. Guns get people killed, no matter if they're criminals or kids. You should compare a country without a gunfanatic history with any state in the US and you'll quickly see that the crimerate and deathrate involving guns is a fraction of the rate in the US. Main difference is, as I'm sure you know, the availability of firearms, mainly handguns.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast