Thread: What sword is that the Abyssynian Champions are using?

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default What sword is that the Abyssynian Champions are using?

In the Preview of Makuria, the Abyssynian Champions seem to be using huge double handed scimitars.. whats your source for that? I would greatly like to know, because I'm a member of Sword Forum International (internets oldest and largest sword collecting community) and the general concensus there is that these 2 handed scimitars didnt exist, I'd love it if their wrong and they did!
    Team Member <3

Default Re: What sword is that the Abyssynian Champions are using?

Someone said they were called either a Shrotel or Lutat, I'm not sure though which one it is.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://&#91;IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png&#91;/IMG]

The Lutat, or Dembus, is the two handed mace. The Shotel is the curved sword of Ethiopia, I forget which side of the blade has the sharp part on.

We went with a two handed version because there was information detailing that the Ethiopians would often wield their swords without a shield but with two hands (Making one assume their swords could be wielded proficiently with two hands, and not be awkward, thus, possibly being more like a bastard sword than a short one) and that there were Ethiopians who would wield a sword with two hands and manage to kill Elephants in two or three strikes.

It did not specify whether the swords were the straight edged or the shotel version, hence why we didn't feel it was right to go wholly with one or wholly with the other, but rather had both in the same unit. Our sources were for the elephant 2 handed killers the writings of a Brit in the 1800s (If you still want it I'll try to find it again), and a wargaming site. Granted the latter is not irrevocably accurate, but they seem as much dedicated to Historical Realism as the most attempting to be historically accurate Mod is.

As for proving their existence: I'll admit it is a bit too ambiguous to prove. Personally I doubt there was no two handed curved swords, particularly in the cultures where straight edged swords may not have been the cultural norm (Like parts of Africa, Southeast Asia, East Asia)
    Last edited by Ahiga; July 08, 2007 at 04:02 PM.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Broken Crescent hasn't ever been Europa Barbarorum strict so some liberties were taken while creating some armour and weapons. Mostly sacrificing some tiny historical things for more, and I quote mirage, badassity.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ah, well it will be helpful information for SFI, Ahiga I'd greatly appreciate if you could find that information again?

Please and thank you!
    Team Member <3

teh.frickin.pope's Avatar Senator

They were apparently sharp on both sides, and were used more to reach around shields and hook people than slice or pierce, if I remember right.

Broken Crescent, Its Frickin Awesome! Sig by Atterdag +rep
    Stop Uwe Boll!

http://www.alldbm.com/lists-detail.php?list=170

Abyssinan swordsmen usually used a long straight cutting sword and sometimes discarded their shields to wield them two-handed, but some instead used the enormous sickle-shaped shotel, intended to hook over an opponent’s shield. The Dembus is described as an iron mace, staff or club.

We used the Lutat as the term, as the idea originated with the Fatimid's use of Sudanese soldiers wielding two handed maces which were apparently very effective against Crusader cavalry. From what I could scrounge up, the Dembus basically sounds like the Lutat, we just decided to refer to the two handed mace as a Lutat, and a one handed mace as a Dembus.

We'll hopefully manage to represent the Lutat's effectiveness by having it lack the bracing value given to spears, but still have it gain good 'vs cavalry' bonuses, so it becomes something you want to utilize after spearmen have absorbed the initial shock of the cavalry.

I'm looking for the elephant hunter one.

Ah, here we go. It was written in colonial times, so expect some level of white man's ignorance or bigotry:

http://books.google.com/books?id=a4U...uWPKQ#PPA92,M1

Page 92. It talks about the Elephant Hunters, or Aggageers, whom 'converted' their weapons to be wielded with two hands.
    Last edited by Ahiga; July 08, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

wow those guys had GUTS, jeez being inches away from a bull elephant, jeez...
    "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Agreed, you have to have some serious steel cajones to hunt an elephant.

That is one badass sword.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Love the swords as well. Its a nice welcome home from camping by having the Kingdom of Armenia and The new African faction.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.