Thread: Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War: The Dark Crusade

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War: The Dark Crusade

Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War: The Dark Crusade

Finally after probably one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in a long time Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War Platinum Edition comes to an end (sadly). I just finished playing through the campaign and exploring the little tid bits of the second expansion: The Dark Crusade - and I must say....I'm quite impressed! This mere expansion very well outdoes even the original game.

Review:

As with Winter Assault there's really no point in going through all the categories again and saying the same thing yeah? Well anyway the graphics are about on the same level - obviously with new races, new weapons, and such comes new visual effects. In other words more explosions, lasers, and fire will fill up your screen. The model and unit details seem to be a little bit improved over the last two games though...

As with any RTS expansion DC comes with new units for each race, but what DC's greatest addition to the Dawn of War series is is the inclusion of two new, in-depth, races (the Tau Empire and the Necrons) and the total reworking of the game's campaign.

Both the Tau and the Necrons are powerful races that are both fun to play as and are totally unique to the other races of the game. This gives DC a grand total of 7 playable races - each with their own units, buildings, strategies, and feel to them.

I feel the campaign needs to be talked about in a lengthy way so here we go...

The Campaign -

The new campaign layout is probably one of the greatest additions to the Dawn of War series, and is most likely one of the most fun ways to play an RTS of this caliber.

Rather than introduce the player to an already in motion story with set characters and such, DC instead lays out the background of what's going on and tells you to make the rest up as you go. Instead of advancing through a set number of missions till the end of the game DC gives you a campaign map of the planet Kronus. It also gives you the choice of picking between all seven races (Space Marines, Imperium, Tau, Necrons, Chaos, Orks, Eldar) and each race has its own main character that will lead your army.

On the campaign map there are a grand total of 25 provinces - each race starts in their own beginning territories called "strongholds" and can move their armies about the map conquering bordering territories to add to their conquest in a turn base style. When you attack a province a skirmish map will open up and you'll basically play a skirmish round against your given enemy (obj = destroy their HQ). Although sometimes this is not the case and you'll play a mission style round - this usually happens when you attack either extremely valuable provinces or enemy strongholds.

Your army is made up of your main character and his "honor guard". Honor guard are champion units that can either be purchased (with a turn based addition of requisition) or earned through conquering certain provinces. When a skirmish map opens up you'll start with your leader and his honor guard plus an HQ and a builder unit...this changes though when you conquer the province that lets you establish a forward base - before battles you can use requisition to buy buildings and such that will already be there when the game starts.

There are no unit or building restrictions in the campaign (like in the linear campaigns of the first two games) so anything and everything is game. Your basically free to do and make whatever you want as long as you either destroy your enemies HQ or yours gets destroyed.

Besides attacking, you'll also have to defend your provinces against attacking enemies. This is done in the same skirmish way only you wont have your army and leader but rather whatever reinforcements you have in that province. On any given turn you can choose to reinforce your provinces with units in return for requisition - making them harder to take for the enemy. But, defending is something you don't need to be worried about too much on the easier difficulty levels.

Throughout the campaign you'll earn not only honor guard units and special province abilities but also "wargear". Wargear allows you to upgrade the loadout of your leader - adding armor, weapons, and such to him to make him more powerful. Each leader has maybe...10 items of wargear that are unlocked by achieving objectives throughout the campaign (i.e. killing 2000 enemies, conquering 3 races, winning 5 conquests, etc).

With 25 provinces and 7 races playing in a turn based way the campaign to take Kronus can take 25+ skirmish rounds to finally win. All in all playing as the Chaos on the campaign it took me from July 3rd to this morning (July 8th) playing a good 2 hours a day to finally beat the campaign on easy.

This lengthy campaign provides much satisfaction and the fact that there are still 6 other races to play as only further increases the amount of time you can put into this game and the replay value skyrockets.

As you can see the campaign itself earns the game a perfect score for gameplay as well as the replay value - this is really great news for DC and those wishing to play it.

Another little thing of interest is that DC is a standalone expansion - in other words it does not need the original Dawn of War to play. Truthfully I don't know who in their right minds would just buy DC and not either of the two past games but it seems as though the only restriction to this standalone expansion is the online play - without the key codes for Dawn of War and Winter Assault a player cannot play as the Orks, Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, and Imperium in online skirmishes. Yet - they can play as these races in the campaign and skirmish modes.

Graphics = 9/10
    Gameplay = 10/10
    Audio = 4/5
    Replay Value = 5/5
    Story/Plot = 8/10

Conclusion:

What can I really say about the Dawn of War series I haven't said before? It's an amazing series of games and if you're a sci-fi RTS lover or just an RTS lover in general this is your golden chalice, this is your holy grail...Dawn of War is probably one of the most sophisticated, detailed, and plainly fun as hell RTS games out on the market right now (and it's cheap!).

I can say that buying the Platinum Edition of Dawn of War was one of the best investments and one of the best uses of my hard earned money (all 30 bucks of it) in a very long time.

I'm very much looking forward to either another expansion type DoW game or maybe even a DoW 2 in the near future - I can't imagine why of all things this series would simply stop.

Final Score = 36/40 or 90%
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Default Re: Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War: The Dark Crusade

Beautiful review! I think I may just go buy this right now! Seriously.......

Civitate

Wow, well I'm glad I helped you out man! Make sure to not JUST buy Dark Crusade though (if you don't have the two previous games) go ahead and fork up the 30 or so bucks to get the Platinum Edition that comes with all three of the games on ONE disc.

It will certainly be worth it, trust me.

I think I am going to download the Platinum Edition off of Direct2Drive for 40 bucks, seems like a good deal

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I suggest to buy disc version. This game is a few that worth to replay again and again (I have reinstall and uninstall this game four times now).

We also have a great thread about this game, and a bunch of insane players!!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Another little thing of interest is that DC is a standalone expansion - in other words it does not need the original Dawn of War to play. Truthfully I don't know who in their right minds would just buy DC and not either of the two past games but it seems as though the only restriction to this standalone expansion is the online play - without the key codes for Dawn of War and Winter Assault a player cannot play as the Orks, Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, and Imperium in online skirmishes. Yet - they can play as these races in the campaign and skirmish modes.
    I guess most people do once they know how ugly the online play is for this game - you would not win unless you play in insane way.

By the way, my favour unit is Chaos Berserker!!! "Why are we waiting for!!! Kill, Kill!!!"

I just bought the Warhammer Platinum Pack and am installing it right now . I have thought about buying these games for so long but after reading this review I finally went out and bought it, Thanks VOP

I must admit I'm very tempted as well. Very good review VOP2288!
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Civitate

I must admit I'm very tempted as well. Very good review VOP2288!
    Thank you...I look forward to providing more reviews for you guys on any other games I come across. A hopefully one of those games in the future will be another Dawn of War game...

White Knight - BUY IT! If you wanna give the whole 3 game series a shot than buy the Platinum Edition, on Amazon it's like 30 bucks (40 on EB's website I think) but if you're not too sure about all of them and just wanna give DC a try than I've found it for as low as 15.00

Also if you're not sure give the demos a run...you should have no trouble finding a Dawn of War demo and a Dark Crusade demo on either Filefront's or Gamespot's websites

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Thank you...I look forward to providing more reviews for you guys on any other games I come across. A hopefully one of those games in the future will be another Dawn of War game...

White Knight - BUY IT! If you wanna give the whole 3 game series a shot than buy the Platinum Edition, on Amazon it's like 30 bucks (40 on EB's website I think) but if you're not too sure about all of them and just wanna give DC a try than I've found it for as low as 15.00

Also if you're not sure give the demos a run...you should have no trouble finding a Dawn of War demo and a Dark Crusade demo on either Filefront's or Gamespot's websites
    I have already tried those, thought they were very fun too. (I always like to play demo's. I mean parts of games - free of charge!)
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

I have the urge to buy this game.

i have the other 2
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Great review, great game.

Modern life is rubbish- Do so. You won't be dissapointed.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Civitate

I have the urge to buy this game.

i have the other 2
    What are you waiting for? BUY IT! Especially if you have the other two and loved those...

The campaign and replayability have gone through the roof in DC - plus you get more new units for the existing races and two new races plus more skirmish maps...I don't see what you've got to lose...except maybe $15.00

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...48#post1954348
    just incase you missed the Circus Maximus article.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Congrats VOP!

Civitate

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...48#post1954348
    just incase you missed the Circus Maximus article.
    Holy crap...wow...nice

thanks Darkragnar for the mention...this only further inspires me to keep writing reviews for you guys in hopes of you liking them lol.