Thread: Computer Shuts Down During Battles.

Default Computer Shuts Down During Battles.

Hello all.

I recently bought a new computer. Here's the specs:

Core-2-Duo E66002.4ghz, MSI 965P Neo-F Mother Board, 2 DDR2 800 memory sticks, X1950XT 512MB PCI-Express Video, and 450 watts of power. Now when I first installed m2tw on here the computer would shut down during each and every battle. So I un-installed m2tw and then reinstalled it, resulting in everything working perfectly. I was able to play a full game with four full stacks, on the highest setting with no lag or crashes. Later that day the crashing started up again, so I'm trying to reinstall it.

I also installed Company of Heroes on here and haven't had any problems of this sort. The computer only crashes during m2tw battles, whether 100 men are on screen or 8,000.

Does anyone have any theory as to why this keeps happening?

Default Re: Computer Shuts Down During Battles.

Did you patch it correctly? (patch 1.2 directly over 1.0).When you un-installed the game did you delete all remaining files and clear the registry?If you don't then basically all the problems you had wont go away.

Quote Originally Posted by skullman86 View Post
    Did you patch it correctly? (patch 1.2 directly over 1.0).When you un-installed the game did you delete all remaining files and clear the registry?If you don't then basically all the problems you had wont go away.
    Yup, I installed 1.2 directly over 1.0 and deleted all m2tw files.

EDIT: It was only after a thunder storm caused the computer to crash that it started crashing in medieval 2 battles again. Could that have been the problem?
    Last edited by Theo; July 07, 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Yup, I installed 1.2 directly over 1.0 and deleted all m2tw files.

EDIT: It was only after a thunder storm caused the computer to crash that it started crashing in medieval 2 battles again. Could that have been the problem?
    So wait.....you were playing during a real thunderstorm and you're power went out?Do you use a surge protector?If you don't then it may have damaged your PSU but if CoH works then it's most likely the game or it's files...Have you tried just lowering the settings a bit?Just to be safe though I would download "coretemp" or "speedfan" to see how hot your PC is running cause it may be a hardware issue.It's hard to tell since I don't know what your settings are on CoH.Try updating bios and all of your drivers if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by skullman86 View Post
    So wait.....you were playing during a real thunderstorm and you're power went out?Do you use a surge protector?If you don't then it may damage your PSU but if CoH works it must be the game or it's files...Have you tried just lowering the settings a bit?Maybe consider downloading "coretemp" or "speedfan" to see how hot your PC is running cause it may be a hardware issue.It's hard to tell since I don't know what your settings are on CoH.Try updating bios and all of your drivers if possible.
    I play with all the highest settings on CoH to. And yes I use a surge protector. I just re-installed the game and played an 8,000 man battle without the computer crashing. But I'm worried about this happening again in the future.

I guess if it happens again I'll download coretemp.

Do you have a decent surge protector? The ones that you can get for cheap at places like Kmart or Walmart after a year or two won't cut it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by boboftl View Post
    Do you have a decent surge protector? The ones that you can get for cheap at places like Kmart or Walmart after a year or two won't cut it anymore.

It's pretty old. I really shouldn't be playing during a storm .

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    It's pretty old. I really shouldn't be playing during a storm .
    lol yeah, that is probably the best thing to do.

As for your problem, it sounds like a unique technical issue to me so you may be better off talking to SEGA's tech support .It isnt one of those common issues that regular people have solutions for.

I'd initially pin your problem down to either heat or power (450W is borderline these days).

Do you have any temperature monitoring software installed, and if so, could you give us a peak CPU reading?
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

I've read somewhere else on this board that the crashes are something to do with opening the console or using cheats, and while that doesn't make sense, i do recall only starting to use cheats on my second short campaign once, where i started to get the 'restart half-way thru each battle' bug, as terribly gamedestroying as you could imagine that would be.

i also noticed you have a core2duo 6600 - so do i, and if you search back in the tech help forums, you'll find a few topics asking about the blue-screen-restart bug.
    some theories came up in those posts about this problem being RAM related.

So perhaps some other core2duo/6600 users, or anyone for that matter, can vouch whether this is a personal or global issue.

Icon7 Re: Computer Shuts Down During Battles.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyg86
    also noticed you have a core2duo 6600 - so do i, and if you search back in the tech help forums, you'll find a few topics asking about the blue-screen-restart bug.
    some theories came up in those posts about this problem being RAM related.

So perhaps some other core2duo/6600 users, or anyone for that matter, can vouch whether this is a personal or global issue.
    lol, I don't think it's the 6600, I have one and the game runs flawlessly.Ram being the problem is possible, only this is the only game he has problems with and with the wrong or flawed ram you would expect all games to run poorly.I think it's something to do with the game files or it's a really specific hardware issue that only effects M2tw, like a driver problem or something.

btw how hot does your pc run.

video card-?
    cpu-?
    ambient temp-?
    Last edited by skullman86; July 08, 2007 at 02:47 PM.

my pc runs damn cold, i live at the bottom of australia and its never really ever very hot, and this old house i live in is an icebox, to boot, so along with my decent case cooling, the damn huge cooling on my stock-clocked 8800GTS and my decent stock cooling on my stock-clocked core2duo2 6600, i am really doubting that its cooling that is the issue.

the fact that i can run any other game i install without problems, on ridiculous settings, with no problems at all, kinda makes me suspicious to it being 'my' problem.
    although, medieval2 does have intense ammounts to render and compute etc etc, i understand, but there is other games i play, including armed-assault, which would have just as much or more going on, so i'm not sure.

and the fact that this problem is in various threads on this board, and the problem only seeming to jump up after a few days or weeks of perfect use in most cases, and most problem having decent computers with no previous overheating or ram issues, makes me wonder if it is medieval2 to blame.

the fact i was really convinced from my previous post asking about this, and others i had read, that i had faulty RAM, that i went back to the store who built my new computer only 5 weeks ago, and bought two new sticks of a better quality, which cost me $50AU on top of my refund for the others, only to come home and find the problem exists just as strongly. (although i now have kickarse ram hehe.)

i also think i remember reading someone only having this issue pop up after patching from 1.1 to 1.2.

Anyhow, perhaps in the next patch, this issue will not exist. I can only hope, for i really miss this game, but it's a game of russian roulette if my computer will crash and restart at any point in a battle, so it leaves me either auto-resolving (bleh) or having to play battles 4 or so times to actually complete them, as i have to restart so much. damn it.

thanks for everyones help, though, lets hope we can get this sorted out.