Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The game I was allways searching for?

calamiga's Avatar Civis

Default The game I was allways searching for?

What the... I have never ever heared of Europa Universalis before.
    Now I look here around and I'm totaly surprised: Huge map, many provinces, many many other factions.

Can anyone tell me why I still play old MedievalII?
    I dont care about turnbased or not, my privileges are:
    - Not only military, I want politics and diplomacy
    - Religion and culture playing a huge role
    - I want to decide how the people live in my state. Giving wealth and rights to them or just use them as slaves for my diabolic state of doom and terror. Republic, Theocracy, Kingdom of, etc - I want to decide!

Can EUIII offer this to me?
    Or is it just Medieval in Real Time and with bad graphics?
    Last edited by calamiga; July 07, 2007 at 12:38 PM.

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

Default Re: The game I was allwayes searching for?

I consider this to be more of a politics game with taking over the world as an option. I am of course a fan of this game so I wouldn't be able to give an unbiased opinion of it. So......... yeah it sounds like the game you always wanted.

calamiga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by William the Bastard View Post
    I consider this to be more of a politics game with taking over the world as an option.
    That's great!

Who cares about taking over the world?
    I want a tiny little Kingdom. Maybe some day this Kingdom gets an mad King how tries to invade all neighbour countries.
    But usually I just want little Kingdoms, trying to survive again the big ones - with bad ass diplomacy
    Last edited by calamiga; July 07, 2007 at 02:15 PM.

I see from your avatar that you are a German Muslim. Why not take the Ottomans through Hungary and Austria in the heartlands of the First Reich? Send some Muslim missionaries (Annoyingly they have a small percentage of actually working but if you think about it they kind of would wouldn't they?) to convert the Christian infidel to the true enlightened religion?

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Asadullah ibn Touma View Post
    - Not only military, I want politics and diplomacy
    In spades. People have built empires without ever attacking anyone. Try that in TW.

- Religion and culture playing a huge role
    Religon plays a large role, culture an epic one. Culture effects revolts, your technological gains, the stability of your realm, just about everything.

- I want to decide how the people live in my state. Giving wealth and rights to them or just use them as slaves for my diabolic state of doom and terror. Republic, Theocracy, Kingdom of, etc - I want to decide!
    You can decide government type. It goes deeper than republic/monarchy/theocracy, there are over 15. You can choose between free subjects and slaves, or somewhere in the middle (normally somewhere in the middle) and there are advantages and disadvantages to each (slaves are less happy, but easier to control, work harder). That is handled on your government page, and there are a series of choices like that to be made.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Oh and if you do get it don't forget to tell us so we can get you on one of the many Multi Player games that we have. Does TW have that function? I can't remember.

calamiga's Avatar Civis

I see from your avatar that you are a German Muslim. Why not take the Ottomans through Hungary and Austria in the heartlands of the First Reich? Send some Muslim missionaries (Annoyingly they have a small percentage of actually working but if you think about it they kind of would wouldn't they?) to convert the Christian infidel to the true enlightened religion?
    Haha, can you imagine how often I tried to do so in TW?
    But it never really worked. You have to stay in your home territory or conquer the whole world - but just settle away from your home and build your empire somewhere else is quit impossible.

Hmm... I'm really looking forward to buy this game!
    Last question before I'm confident of this games greatness:
    In TW, the NPC-factions just attacked boarders. They never went to America. How in this game? Are the dutch heading to Indonesia, e.g.?

Haha, can you imagine how often I tried to do so in TW?
    But it never really worked. You have to stay in your home territory or conquer the whole world - but just settle away from your home and build your empire somewhere else is quit impossible.

Hmm... I'm really looking forward to buy this game!
    Last question before I'm confident of this games greatness:
    In TW, the NPC-factions just attacked boarders. They never went to America. How in this game? Are the dutch heading to Indonesia, e.g.?
    Colonization is a huge part of the game, and lots of factions go lots of places... almost too much. Castille, Aragon, France, England, Portugal, all make pushes into america almost every game. Others, genoa, mecklenburg, sicily, burgundy, denmark, tuetonic order, as well as many others, go in some games. Every faction with a coast has the chance.
    And they don't only go to america. Along with NA, SA, and the carb, you also see colonization of Africa, and Indonesia, and other places.

Like you wouldn't believe. Colonising is a main feature of this game. You don't have to send armies or ships there either. All you have to have is an empty province (It might have some locals there but they shouldn't be a problem. Unless they are fierce or numerous.....You'll find out yourself) that is visible.To enter hidden terra incognita you need to have conquistadors at the head of an army or explorers at the head of a fleet. As Brandenburg in one of my campaigns Spain and Portugal did all the exploring and colonising so I took what was left.

AI in this game is often cleverer than you (or me at least). Last night I ended up with the AI making an alliance that was how shall we say......Non co-operative to my future prospects.

Aragon had colonised Australia in my German campaign! Sweden has Chile, The Papal States has Paraguay. The Falklands has fallen to Novgorod! Nihil would be so proud.
    Last edited by William the Bastard; July 07, 2007 at 11:06 AM.

calamiga's Avatar Civis

Oh my god, you can play as Aceh!
    I'm going to buy this game as soon I have the money for it!
    Great! Can't believe, that nearly nobody knows this game and everyone is till playing Total War.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Oh my god, you can play as Aceh!
    I'm going to buy this game as soon I have the money for it!
    Great! Can't believe, that nearly nobody knows this game and everyone is till playing Total War.
    You better believe it

It's really fun and the AI really is smart. They try to take advantage of me all the time. The Palatinate declared war on france shortly after i allied with them, because they expected my help lol. They probbly crapped their pants when i left the fools to fight the french on their own.

And i have yet to ever see the AI just attacking for no reason like they do in M2TW. Frankly, the AI only attack if they know you are weak and they actually have a chance of defeating you.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

calamiga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede View Post
    And i have yet to ever see the AI just attacking for no reason like they do in M2TW. Frankly, the AI only attack if they know you are weak and they actually have a chance of defeating you.
    Yeah, that's what pissed me off most on TW.

I played at turks. I was the superpower. Huge land (Greece, Anatolia, Middle East and nearly all of north Africa) and super rich. Nobody could mess with me.
    And I always tried to help the Moors. They had only one City left and I conquered whole Spain for them and gave it to them for free. I gave them every turn around 10,000 gold, so that they could restore.
    But still - their military was quite weak and I had to defend their borders.
    And what happens after 100 years?
    They ****ing allied with the P.O.P.E. and tried to backstab me. In 10 years, all moors were killed and Rome was sacked.
    Stupid AI, really.
    Last edited by calamiga; July 07, 2007 at 02:17 PM.

Default Re: The game I was allways searching for?

lol the ai wont backstab you on this.... and muslims wont ally with the pope.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Yeah, you can leave the TW AI behind you. Alliances in EU3 are important, and your ally actually helps you. Your ally will ask you for military access and move armies through your territory to help you.

I think you will get a positive impression

And oh, you will shortly forget about how realtively boring battles are supposed to be. Soon you will bite your nails over the next dice roll

Sig by Lord Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede View Post
    And oh, you will shortly forget about how realtively boring battles are supposed to be. Soon you will bite your nails over the next dice roll
    I can't even watch battles. I just can't. Watching the dice roll that decide the fait of my empire is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabolous View Post
    I can't even watch battles. I just can't. Watching the dice roll that decide the fait of my empire is difficult.
    Aye it is. Sucks hard when you manage to strike rolls below 2 three times in a row, and loose when you have 10,000 men against the enemys 3,000...

Yes it just happened...

Sig by Lord Rahl

Bah I need to get this game.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

My dream game would merge TW with Europa Universalis
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

calamiga's Avatar Civis

I borrowed the game from a gameshop and played around 3 hours.
    Phew, it really is complicated!
    Seems like I have to read the whole manual to understand everything.

btw: Can I change the music in the game just by deleting the mp3s in the music folder and putting my own there?

Daimon's Avatar Miles

I think so..But i'm not sure

BTW - Don't forget about their great modding community! Just check the Paradox forums and you see what I'm talking about! Their are some great mods for EUIII or EUII. And then there is their great AAR community where i learned almost everything about the games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast