Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assignment 3 Critiques

Default Assignment 3 Critiques

Please post finished assignments in this thread.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Hattori's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Assignment 3 Critiques

Ok here it is.

From this

To this

by blending this image and adding those plants.

Under Patronage of MARCVS

Here is what I started out with originally:

http://history-guy.com/ps_class/Marble_After_001A.jpg

And than this is what I got from manipulating it:

http://history-guy.com/ps_class/Marble_After_001B.jpg

I used an ice texture to give the marble a more "speckaled" look. I made it into a new layer, than changed the lighting, and than the colours to make it blend in nicely. One mishab: you can see the tile which I attempted to fix. But to no avail...

Hattori, now it just looks like a regular distanced-shot photo, and not so much a texture anymore It's still pretty sexy though, don't get me wrong.

Hattori: That's excellent. No crit, really. Perfect spots for the grass, too. Excellent.

HistoryGuy: Its alright, but its like another version of the previous texture; it looks quite nice but I was looking for more contextual sorts of grime/cracks/stains, etc. Partially my fault, I should have been more clear.

Cranky: Good job. It needs work, but its technically and conceptually good; it needs to be executed better, but that comes with experience and acquired skill and talent. I would just take some more reference as to how rust forms and looks, also, if a bolt were going into a steel plate, there's probably be some scratches or dents, etc, and also there should actually be some sort of plate and not a flat metal texture (or else why the bolts). These are the things that make a good texture artist, but you showed me you understand the technical concepts which is the main goal.

... I just realized I ruined the integrity of the whole thing by adding 'grime' from cement, when indeed it had a metal base. :\ lol, so much for that!

I am sorry to be late, but I had a really hard week in my job.
    Because I would like to try this trick with nail, I prepare new texture, re-doing the lesson 2.
    There are staring images:
    http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?i...2begin1ge1.jpg
    http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?i...2begin2yt6.jpg
    that my new texture:
    http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?i...22finalga6.jpg
    and that is my final image with dirt and nail:
    http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t3finalgm7.jpg

I think that this is little better that previous

PS: Professor I think that would be good if you can post your starting and final images for the lesson, because due the quality of the video it is hard to see the details on the image. For the video tutorial it is ok, but I think that can help.

Decanus

ok i think i missed the point completely. For this i made a New texture as the main base texture but used my old one for the dirt bits...

starting dirt one:
    http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=tiled.jpg
    base one:
    http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=leather.jpg
    tiled a couple times final one:
    http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...urrent=img.jpg

i think i missed the point tho and didn't do enough dirt...

Jurand: Well its not bad but I would have urged you to try something different. I know you understand the technical concepts, which is the important part right now. Start thinking about, if you had treebark, would a nail be in it? What would the nail look like, how would it rust differently? Just things to keep in mind when you start really texturing. The nail doesn't look bad because its done poorly, more because it is out of place on the bark. But good job nonetheless.

msTubbz: That's actually excellent. You didn't do what I did but you took the lessons and did something else with them; made 'tiles' using the same sort of technique, using the generic "texture" as the tiles and using Layer Styles to create the tiling. Very smart.

gladiatort's Avatar BamBimBangBam
    Lithuania/Litauen/Lietuva (LIE-TU-VA!!! ju sanava bych!)

ok, finally found some time for playing with photoshop, hard summer this year so here it is, easy job like last time
    before-

after-

Member of B.A.L.T.S. Member of Lithuania Mod!!!

and here we go

Last edited by phoen!x; July 13, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

gladiatort: excellent job, the only suggestion I'd make would be to make the foilage yellowish; its a sandy environment, and wouldn't be so vibrant. Also, maybe paint in some shadow underneath that layer. But very good job.

phoenix: good progress in just a few days, made it worthwhile to keep registration open. The nail is alright. I would make the drop shadow less apparent, increase the grime and moss and stuff on the brick wall... its pretty beaten up so you could have added lots of grime to it. For the nail, make it darker so it looks like it is part of the environment; everything is orange and rusty so in order to stand out, the nail has to be very rusty. Also, think where a nail would go in the brick wall. These are the things that will make your texture stand out; instead of a nail I would have added a big crack, maybe some worn-off paint, even moss in the cracks, etc. Its technically alright but push it further.

Alright, heres my first work:
    http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4...tresultba9.jpg

and heres the result with some added cracks and moss to make it look more like rock wall:

not really pleased with it, as I don't think I've really made anything more than another type of texture... though this one is less tile-able. It doesn't have much more detail of sorts... so I'll be sure to make another one soon.
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

PUSHED IT FURTHER

Last edited by phoen!x; July 14, 2007 at 07:36 AM.

A bit disappointed with this one. Started with this:

Ended with this:

RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

drak: Really nicely done. No crits really, good job. Would be cool maybe to get some sort of vegetation in the cracks or unique stains/flora, etc., but well done.

phoenix: Nice improvement. Really looks cohesive, and extremely dirty, now. That overlay of cracked paint or whatever it is works pretty well, I think, though I meant using it differently (like actual paint that is cracking off).

Roman Man: Its the funniest assignment turned in so far . Its not really a texture but its an interesting excersize; think, though, how to integrate the objects with the texture. Mainly, it means matching the lighting. The best way to do this is with a drop shadow, and then some levels/hue-saturation to correct the brightness, contrast, and hue. The cigarette is almost there, the feather needs work such as the dark fringe, and the color correction (also maybe make some areas slightly transparent with a layer mask). The conch shell will be hard and I would suggest trying something different or removing it completely, but you can try painting in shadows by hand. Remember, too, that environments reflect light; the base is very orange/yellowish, so that light will reflect on the objects. You will never have a purely colored object, such as the feather, since it would receive light reflected from the environment which would tinge it yellowish. Same is true of the conch and of the cigarette (the white area on the cigarette could use a yellowish tint where it contacts the ground, for example). This aspect of lighting is called "radiosity" and is worth looking up; it will make your photoshopping and editing much more believable when you are able to integrate disparate objects from separate photos with greater understanding than just image adjustments, and actually paint in new hues and shadows, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I think this one turned out better. Hopefully

The footprint just doesn't seem to be there. The clone stamp wasn't, apparently, working properly, but, I will try another thing.

Much better! Technically one of the more challenging things attempted so far and you pulled it off pretty well, other than the footprint. For the cigarette, the ember should still be orange; the "cherry" is emitting light, and thus would be unaffected (or at least less affected) by the orange light in the environment. It should retain its original hue. The feather is also "blown out" to white; open it up in your histogram, if there is a big hill all the way on the right side, its blown out; few things should be "clipped" to pure white or black. You can't really save it once that happens, you need to take the original feather and fix it from that. As for the footprint, think about it- first, would it be that clean-cut? Second, what does a footprint look like? Would it pat down the grass, make it wet, etc. Would it indent into the grass? How would you achieve these? For example, doing some brushwork to the edge of the footprint's layer mask would make it less regular and exact, and adding an Inner Shadow layer style would make it look indented.

I try yet again to get this right. Bear with me for this, it might take some time

Thanks for the feedback Prof

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast