Thread: RTR Platinum 1.9 crash

Default RTR Platinum 1.9 crash

Hello, everybody. I have installed the RTR PLatinum 1.9 full, after patching the clean Rome Total War with 1.3 and 1.5 patches. I chose to play with Carthage. Everything seemed to work fine, until I reached 202 BC. So, every time I hit the END TURN button in 202 BC (playing with Carthage) the game just crashes to desktop. Is it a bug or what and how can I resolve this issue? Thank you

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: RTR Platinum 1.9 crash

I've also had some CTDs with RTR 1.9 but fortunately for me I have been able to load from the autosave and continue the campaign.

It only was a major problem when as Pathia I had defeated a much larger Bactrian army with their King and managed to kill them all - on the battle results screen I got a CTD.

Anyway, I've read in some posts that it's possible to dleete the map.rwm file and this resolves many problems.

I am not sure if running the 'campaign_map_reset.bat' does this for you.

The map.rwm file is usually in data\world\maps\base or bi\data\world\maps\base folders. If this file is deleted the game will recreate the file from other files within the folder - it just takes a little time to do this.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I did try deleting the map.rwm file and nothing happened. There was still a crash in 202 BC. I guess this has something to do with the rebellions. Playing with Carthage assumes lots of corruption and riots all over the Republic. I started the campaign all over again (Carthage again). However, this time I am trying to invest in culture a lot, and in increasing the level of happiness throughout the cities. I haven't reached 202 BC yet, I hope there won't be a CTD this time. Besides the option you mentioned above, is there any other solution to this annoying problem?
    Thank you

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

It may be possible to post your save game somewhere and include a link in this thread for someone to have a look at what is going on. (In the Rometotal realism.net forum it was possible to attach compressed files to the posts - most sites don't allow that.)

One thing to do to isolate where the problem is is the following;

edit the preferences.txt file (I am not sure if the one used by RTR PE is the one in the main folder or the one in the 'preferences' folder) and change the following
    "CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:SKIP_AI_FACTIONS" to "CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:FOLLOW_AI_FACTIONS"

"LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE" to "LABEL_CHARACTERS:TRUE"

"FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE" to "FOG_OF_WAR:FALSE"

Note - it's possible to change the last on in game using the console (for a UK keyboard it's pressing the button under the escape key with the campaign map showing (i.e. the '¬' key) - it is different on various keyboards) - by entering 'toggle fow'.

Once you've done that load your save game and press 'end turn'. Watch the actions closely - you will see all the movements of all the AI factions. This can be very boring to watch. I cheat now-a-days and use FRAPS to record what is going on-screen - I've paid for a license so I can record longer video.

If you can find what is going on you may either be able to influence what is going on (if it's a AI character and you have an assassin handy you can kill them.

The alternative is to use the 'cheats' (commands enterered via the console) to kill or move characters. I've tried to do this in the past when trying to resolve CTDs but have never had any luck with the commands (I somehow think it may be down to the UK keyboard that I am using).

When you've finished the above I'd suggest changing the options back to the original settings (when you watch the game you will understand).

Hope the above helps.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Thank you very much... I have started the campaign all over again, and I have no problems now. Everything works smoothly. Thanks anyway. Salute!

Hi everybody and thanks a lot for your time!

I installed RTR Platinum Full Install as follows:

1. Install Rome Total War.
    2. Install the RTW v1.3 Patch.
    3. Install the RTW v1.5 Patch.
    4. Download and install the RTR Platinum Full Install.

but I have problem with crash at desktop when I click the end turn button- about 215 B.C. (i play Greeks). I thought that it was a problem with the current filename that I save the game, so I tried loading and saving the game with another filename. The problem was solved, but it was only temporary. After 1-2 turns I had crash at desktop again more often, and finally, after a lot of load-save with another filename, I have continual crashes to desktop at 210 B.C.
    I kept a backup of the last filename save game, and I uninstalled and installed again the whole game and the patches. I find somewhere that maybe the problem is with the map.rtw files. I deleted manually the map.rtw files from any folders that contain them (world folder e.t.c) and also I installed the campaign_map_reset.bat program.
    Unfortunately when I put the backup filename savegame at the saves folders, load it and click the end turn button, I have crash again. Also I notice that after that, a map.rtw file appears again at the world folder!

I read to your post that I must edit the preferences.txt file and change the following
    "CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:SKIP_AI_FACTIONS" to "CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:FOLLOW_AI_FACTIONS"

"LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE" to "LABEL_CHARACTERS:TRUE"

"FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE" to "FOG_OF_WAR:FALSE".
    I did it. The same crash again – always with the backup of the savegame.

Is it possible that the new settings work only with the new games I am playing or do they apply with the backup games also?

Why the map.rtw file reappears each time I load the backup savegame?

The map.rwm file is generated by the game each time you start it(provided that there isn`t one in place already). You delete it initially especially so that the game generates a new one based on the new info brought by the mod. That`s normal.

About your crashes. Have you installed the revolt ctd hotfix?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112696

Thanks for your reply! I cant manage to instaled he revolt ctd hotfix http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112696. Its only a txt file...

Do you have the simple or the modswitch version of RTRPE? Check in your Rome Total War folder and see if you have a folder called RTRPE. Afaik that is where the mod switch version installs. As for the hotfix, you should have two files:
    export_descr_unit
    export_descr_buildings

You need to copy them in this location:
    for the simple, no mod switch version:
    Rome - Total War/data
    for the mod switch version:
    Rome - Total War/RTRPE/data

You will be asked if you want to overwrite the files. Say yes. But I recommend you that you first make a backup of the original files and store them someplace else. This way you`ll be able to revert the changes if you want to.
    Last edited by florin80; March 29, 2008 at 08:24 AM.

hey guys, i have a major problem. in rtr platinum 1.9 the bottom toolbar doesn't work at all. end turn, finances, even units decrpts don't work. i am so confsued. help!!!!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Toolbar ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Playing the RTR 1.9 game as Rome. It happens on Carthages turn and it crashes to desktop (232 B.C) Does anyone have any fixes for this? FYI I installed both Rome TW, Barbarian TW and RTR on my D drive. I'm playing on VH/VH and I don't want to lose all the progress I made!!!

So I fixed the issue above but now I am unable to play any battles on the mini-map. It says this... RTRPE/data/RTR/Models_units/egypt_general.cas

Then when I click ok it says....

Script error in...

data/descr_model_battle.txt, at line 639, column 32.

Does anyone have any idea???

I just installed a clean version of Rome and RTR and when I just try to start the Roman campaign it crashes to desktop. It never tells me what the error is. It just says that windows is looking for a solution. The game worked fine in Vista on my old machine but in W7 I get nothing. My other old games work.

Quote Originally Posted by landfair123 View Post
    I just installed a clean version of Rome and RTR and when I just try to start the Roman campaign it crashes to desktop. It never tells me what the error is. It just says that windows is looking for a solution. The game worked fine in Vista on my old machine but in W7 I get nothing. My other old games work.
    Might be an old thread I'm bumping, but I have exactly the same problem. I'd really like to play the mod again. Is there anyone who might be able to help me?
    Knowledge is a deadly friend
    When no one sets the rules.

Maybe some driver conflicts ? Can you play vanilla Rome ?

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Maybe some driver conflicts ? Can you play vanilla Rome ?
    Yeah it works. In vanilla I can start a campaign just fine. With the mod installed I crash to desktop when I try to start a campaign with any faction. Do you need any additional information?
    Knowledge is a deadly friend
    When no one sets the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Emperor View Post
    Yeah it works. In vanilla I can start a campaign just fine. With the mod installed I crash to desktop when I try to start a campaign with any faction. Do you need any additional information?
    If vanilla works and mod does not then it seems the mod was not installed correctly.