republic_bohemia's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Byzantium research

"One word Naffun"

"One Word:Nafftun Unit hmm Greek logic"

No but for Really is it possible to make something cool for the Byzantine faction like for example make a guild that offers International units for recruitment.

wow great research. i never knew information existed on that many units back then. why the hell arn't many of these in MTW2 vanilla?
    "The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth."
    Jean de la Bruyère

delra's Avatar Praepositus

CA put most of the attention to western factions. Byzantium was second priority.

BTW, how do I change pink colour to red for Byzantine provinces, units, other stuff? I suppose nothing can be done to unit cards, but what about strategic map? I saw a mod where it was all in red somewhere...

has anyone had any sucess at merging byz bap ex 1 with ss 4.0? the modeldb is difficult particulary the way byz bap is formatted. any help appreicated.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

What is "Byz bap?"

Quote Originally Posted by ME2_junky View Post
    Important note: I have not read anywhere that the Klibanophoroi or kataphractoi were remotely related to missiles.
    I actually just read in the Osprey byzantine book (and in other sources) that some Kataphracts were armed with bows and if they were crap at archery they were given javelins.

I guess the main obstacle in making a historically accurate Byzantine faction is that by 1080, Byzantium was passed it's heyday. All the other factions in the game are up-and-comers while Byzantium is on the downslope. Seeing as in 1080 Byzantine armies already had Kataphracts and Varangian guard, if you give them these elite units at the beginning of the game, Byzantium will steamroll everybody in the space of a few years. You could reduce the elite units stats so they arent as powerful at the start of the game, but that is just as ahistorical as delaying their availability till the 1200s. Perhaps make them so expensive that you can only recruit one or two units of them without bankrupting yourself...or perhaps but a limit on them like with agents (not sure if that is possible though).

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    CA put most of the attention to western factions. Byzantium was second priority.

BTW, how do I change pink colour to red for Byzantine provinces, units, other stuff? I suppose nothing can be done to unit cards, but what about strategic map? I saw a mod where it was all in red somewhere...
    In data\descr_sm_factions.txt each faction has settings for its primary and secondary colours. I'm sure fiddling with those would get the changes you want
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; August 19, 2007 at 12:49 AM.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Libertus

A possibility would involve giving the Byzantines a Kataphractoi unit or two right at the beginning, plus some other elite units. The Byzantine's problem was finding new sources of recruitment for their armies, especially after Manzikert. Having some elite units right off the bat would improve Byzantine starting position, true, but this can be remedied by increasing the strength of local rebel settlements. Also, it makes sense historically as, while a Byzantine player has some great units right off the bat their problem is reinforcing and 'keeping' their numbers strong.

It would ruin their economy if they had to pay upkeep for cataphracts so early. I'd rather just give them what they really had in 1080 at the beginning of the game.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    It would ruin their economy if they had to pay upkeep for cataphracts so early.
    Well that'd be historically accurate in itself

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

If only I was the emperor in 1080, we would all be Byzantine now... ;-)

While looking at sieges came across this

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/pdfs/pricej.pdf

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Last edited by jimmy55; August 24, 2007 at 08:44 AM.

Libertus

Lotta interesting reads but has anyone made major progress on a Byzantine Revamp yet? Or is everyone now waiting for Kingdoms lol?

I'd think you could utilize many of the different Byzantine skins created, from Disgruntled Goat to Whitewolf to Vanilla, in addition to all this research to make a very interesting and powerful Byzantine faction. Sadly, I don't know squat about modding and wouldn't have a clue where to begin otherwise I'd do more then talk lol.

As for having some Kataphractoi in the beginning, sure it would be expensive but this can be remedied by improving the starting facilities of Constantinople. The more developed the city would be the more accurate it would be, although we couldn't go overboard with it (maybe add some merchant docks and a level 2 harbor).
    Last edited by Vacrovic; August 26, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

ME2_Junky is missing in action and Byzantine are getting serious bonuses in Kingdoms (flamethrower!). So let's wait.

Libertus

I figured there would be a lull in major modding until a few weeks after Kingdoms, so that everyone can see what has been done and how to improve on it heh. Revamping the Byzantine faction would be something I'd love to work on but I have no idea of where to start or what I'd be changing lol.

Since I last posted I got a wild hair up my arse and wrote down a recruitment tree on paper lol. Tis frustrating sitting on the sidelines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast