Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Byzantium research

Default Re: Byzantium research

i understand that most ppl does, i'm not against that either, everyone has the rights to have opinions. So, please don't criticize me for not liking those traits

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Maybe I need to type slower...

I never criticized you for liking or disliking anything. I merely pointed out that releasing Byg's mod separately from SS 4.0 would not be a good way for KK to spend his time and resources, as by and large, almost everyone seems to like the idea of having the mod, and if KK catered to everyone's individual tastes and whims, 4.0 would never be released.

To wade in, I am not keen either, but the thread is about byzantium so to add something, I assume everyone knows about

http://www.byzantium1200.com/introduction.html
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medweb/
    Last edited by Quark; July 13, 2007 at 07:57 AM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Great links Quark

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

I suppose if we wanted a Byzantium resource thread it would to have to be in Vestigia Vetustatis, but I thought I would throw a few in here.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

@Quark
    Yeah man, nice links.

And please lets leave other mods out of the discussion. We do not want to get side tracked.

those are some pretty good links. Actually right now i am waiting on a new book about byzantine infantry specifically.

@ME2 junky

i'll probably get you a writeup of my current stuff sometime next week, i've been busy with work :\

No worries man, I' stuck with some nonsense unit card problem & some real life time consuming things...
    Real life sucks man...takes up all your time...

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I know that Byzantines were asked a number of times to reunite with the catholic church and that its different religion was one of many things that led to the fall of the empire (4th crusade wouldn't plunder Constantinople, there would be much more help against the Turks from Christian countries especially in later ages, before Constantinople fell the Pope who was asked for help by the emperor said he will do help them if they become catholics again and so on).

Is it possible to mod something like a christian reunification event to the game, maybe as a diplomatic move between the Pope and the Byzantines? (and Russians too?)

It could raise your standing with the Pope and all the catholic factions but cause a lot of turmoil in the country, rebellions due to different religion, orthodox priests turning into heretics and so on.

What do you guys think?

no way, orthodox is the third religion inside of this game... just like muslim and christian... 2 just doesn't seem right

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    I know that Byzantines were asked a number of times to reunite with the catholic church and that its different religion was one of many things that led to the fall of the empire (4th crusade wouldn't plunder Constantinople, there would be much more help against the Turks from Christian countries especially in later ages, before Constantinople fell the Pope who was asked for help by the emperor said he will do help them if they become catholics again and so on).

Is it possible to mod something like a christian reunification event to the game, maybe as a diplomatic move between the Pope and the Byzantines? (and Russians too?)

It could raise your standing with the Pope and all the catholic factions but cause a lot of turmoil in the country, rebellions due to different religion, orthodox priests turning into heretics and so on.

What do you guys think?
    thou speaketh above thine head.

Serious business though the religious schism between them had to deal with a lot of factors, one of which was arianism and its spinoffs, but a lot of it has to do with people liking power. You obviously are well studied in this subject because your post reveals several erroneous views on how religion and matters of state were back then. Really i could go on for pages about the religious systems and differences between the 2, but i will merely point you in the right path towards enlightenment. That being start looking up things on the patriarch of the orthodox church and in the eastern roman empire, also look into the great schism and its causes. Then you may understand why the silly barbarians in the west did things that effected relations with the Byz for centuries later.

In other news i absolutely cant stand people that call in for tech support. No joke if you cant setup a modem by reading the instructions you shouldnt be on the interwebz. More importantly dont blame me because your bad ISP has an outage in your area and you cant play your silly WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by ProneStar! View Post
    In other news i absolutely cant stand people that call in for tech support. No joke if you cant setup a modem by reading the instructions you shouldnt be on the interwebz. More importantly dont blame me because your bad ISP has an outage in your area and you cant play your silly WOW.
    10 bucks to whoever can guess what Pronestar does for a living

delra's Avatar Praepositus

He's a neffatun in sultan's army?

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    He's a neffatun in sultan's army?
    Actually I think that would solve his problem. Annoying tech support customers get a ceramic pot full of flaming naptha in the face

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Actually I think that would solve his problem. Annoying tech support customers get a ceramic pot full of flaming naptha in the face
    oh how i wish , but sadly its not so , Talking to people all day is rather annoying as most of them are unhappy, or just dont understand what i mean by the "address bar" in their browser. On the plus side my work doesnt block any websites so i can sit here and look at different websites all day. It pays ok right now, but at the end of this month if i keep performing as i am i will get promoted 2!!!!! spots and get a very nice raise

In college and i have no idea what im going to do, though i probably will just go with a history/poli sci degree. Computers are great and all, but i dont want to have to actually work with them forever. Until then i intend to play a lot of games, and play as the Byzantines a lot.

As for religions...I do not think it is even an option that can be implemented...changing religions is not something that can be done ATM...I understand that Kingdoms will offer such a path...amking it a possibility.

So who knows?

But currently it is not an option.

yeah, but with the Byz it would be more of bringing the pope back under Constantinople's control, rather than a lets all follow the guy with the hat.

An interesting idea...maybe Kingdoms' feature of changing religions will allow ascript to force your religion on vassal factions. Thus the real challange in the game could be making your religion the most dominant...since catholisism is already dominant they could possibly require the elimination of any other religion..?
    Just a thought there...

would be nice to make the papal states actually DESTROYABLE the damn popes just keep coming, like a freakin pope company producing clones...

not entirely positive, but if you destroy all catholic factions completely, supposedly the pope stops coming back. What they should have with the pope is how it happened back then. The more powerful nations could bend the pope to their will and control them. They need to make a system so that whoever controls rome controls the papacy. However to make it somewhat fair, make it so that if a player takes rome the other factions will immediately try to take it back.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast