Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Byzantium research

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Byzantium research

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrovic View Post
    Since I last posted I got a wild hair up my arse and wrote down a recruitment tree on paper lol. Tis frustrating sitting on the sidelines
    Uhhhhh....what? You should probably go see a doctor about that

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

I just did a little research on the bynzantines (looking for more evidence for my merc mini-mod) and wanted to bring it up here. I feel that The byzantine Empire has been damaged by the omission of two important provinces.

Crete - In 960 Nicephorus Phocas reconquered Crete for the Byzantines, who held it until 1204, when it fell into the hands of the Venetians at the time of the Fourth Crusade.
    Rhodes - In 395, the long Byzantine Empire period began for Rhodes, when the Roman empire was split and the eastern half gradually became a Greek empire. Although part of Byzantium for the next thousand years,

Anyway, I think that these 2 provences would do wonders to help the byzantines out in the early game while not disturbing the balance.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

delra's Avatar Praepositus

We've had a discussion about this a while ago.

Giving them those provinces (+ other like Durazzo, Arta, Sinop and... Caffa (?)) they historically held in 1080 would create a superpower at the beginning which couldn't be challenged by other AI factions. So while historical, it also could be just game breaking.

^ I agree. They are strong enough as it is.

Byzantine do very well to take a huge chunk of Balkans and Asia Minor in most of my games. They also take Iconium very often from Seljuks. And it's mostly due to huge jihad when they fall. I think that the provinces they have now (they were given Athens, best earning city on the whole map) are enough to keep them strong while not too strong.

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Realy? I always see the Islamic factions taking Constantanople within the first 100 turns because the Byzantines arn't powerful enough to stop a jihad. Then they kinda just die off over the next few turns.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen View Post
    Realy? I always see the Islamic factions taking Constantanople within the first 100 turns because the Byzantines arn't powerful enough to stop a jihad. Then they kinda just die off over the next few turns.
    Really? Since 4.0 i've always seen the Byzantines romping everyone.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

They loose Constantinople to AI issues not to lack of power. The AI does not know to garrison a city when it is targeted by a Jihad/crusade and they don't attack Jihad/crusading armys very often.

I saw a number of times a jihad taking Constantinople but never saw Muslims hold onto it for a long time. They were loosing it due to rebels or quick Byzantine counter attacks. No Istanbul scenario in my campaigns so far.

Libertus

Add the Kingdoms Units to those already added in SS and the Byzantine Empire would be just fine heh. Just rename them, like DLV did, and you'd be set.

Only units I could see adding would be some Peltastos (Javalin-wielding skirmishers) and maybe Trapezitos (Tough Light Cavalry). Any more would bloat their unit roster, unless they're units that replace earlier units after a specific event (example: Latinkons replaced by Kavallaroi). After that it would be on to buildings and cultural stuff. A good start would be mercenary recruitment buildings, similar to The Long Road's system.

I would love to play Byzantium, but knowing that I will never have an infantry unit that can stand up against an Armored Sgt is just too depressing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456