Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total War at an End?

Default Re: Total War at an End?

Yes, they will continue making them as long as we buy them. Even though the game company treats us like 50 cent whores. Lots of bugs and very few patches. Still the games are ******ing great. I know I will sucker up and buy them all.

I am such a cheap slut.........

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

it will end when they finish making MTW2 I think.

They probably won't make another total war since mtw2 kind of....as it promised to be so much better than the ****** rtw we had to suffer through...

shogun and mtw1 were outstanding!

But then when rome came out, it was wicked bad...

so when they announced mtw2 they said "rtw was crap we know, and we will make it up to you in mtw2!!!"

but when mtw2 came out it wasn't that great...

so I think they can't really do it again...

I mean they'll be like "Well, we definitely didn't give you a game that made up for how awful rtw was, but it was decent yes? So would you like to have us make you a game that is slightly better than mtw2 just for the heck of it?"
    Last edited by Axe-Battler; July 06, 2007 at 12:45 PM.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Carwars was a great game, played it quite a bit myself.

JS

They probably won't make another total war since mtw2 kind of....as it promised to be so much better than the ****** rtw we had to suffer through...
    Considering they've been working on the next one for a few years I find that unlikely
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Indefinitely Banned

I think they have enough juice left to squeeze one or two more games out. Probably something to do with colonial times and involving real naval battles - that seems to be natural next step. Once thats done I think the TW series will be laid to rest, and we will form cults to worship it and become a psuedo-religion.

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

All things come to an end, empires are good example...Egyptians, Romans,..Maybe America will end...Be it 4000 years before another empire strikes it down.

Anyway Total War will end. Eventually. I think in the year 2517 yes? ok.

Wait sorry not "Total War" like war but the series Creative Assembly made.
    Last edited by HaveFallen; July 07, 2007 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Said something Wrong
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???

Considering they've been working on the next one for a few years I find that unlikely
    So they've been working on the one that will come after mtw2 before mtw2 was even being worked on?

Rome: Total War was being worked on before Medieval Total War was released. M2TW was being worked on before RTW was released. And so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtha View Post
    So they've been working on the one that will come after mtw2 before mtw2 was even being worked on?
    yeah.

They work in twos; one evolutionary game, and one revolutionary game at the same time (ie MTW and RTW were being developed at roughly the same time).

I suspect the next game is further along than many of us would think.

How long was it after barbarian invasion was released that mtw2 got announced?

Wasn't bi about december 2005 or so?
    Then mtw2 got announced in january 2006 right?

(god I'm probably way off)

so once the mtw2 expansion gets out I'm guessing we'll here about the new total war?
    Last edited by Axe-Battler; July 07, 2007 at 04:23 AM.

As long as they keep selling, I suppose we could eventually see Medieval XIV:Total War.
    When you have a camp divided, find a common enemy and declare war - Machiavelli

Probably near the end of this year, yeah.

Not sure about the release timing, tbh; I doubt it'll be ready for christmas 07, but as that's the most profitable time we might get lucky and CA might get to work on it 'till chrissie 08

Bacon!'s Avatar Decanus

of course it will die eventually but they will make as much money as possible out of it before it does die

It will carry on until Apocalypse: Total War.
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well medieval 2 total war indicates they are willing to redo old games. Since I still have many ideas for sequels of the medieval games I wouldnt mind it if they would make a medieval 3 ten years from now.

They could cover the entire medieval period, more factions, naval battles, a lot more differences in soldiers, especially their faces, a unit that uses different weapons, only proffessional soldiers would form in units with the same weapons after all. Dismemberment could also be put in in future titles, a general's appearance could be linked to its portrait, cities could look all look unique and in the style they used to be, beach fights could be included when an enemy army tries to invade by sea, players could get the ability to tell enemy armies to get the **** of their land, horses and riders could get seperate lives, soldiers could be placed on towers, castles, roofs etc, moats could be digged, faction leaders could hold meetings, the traits, command level and followers of a general could determine the available options in battle, the entire world could be included, etc.

See? still lots of ideas for just the medieval total war games.

I personly dislike the way there was fought in the napoleonic times since it looks rediculous to fire guns at each other from a short distance without any cover but it is suitable for a total war game, same for prehistoric times but that would not give much buildings and unit variation. I do think there are great opportunities for fantasy games. Rome and medieval 2 total war reminded me of lord of the rings at times, it would have been great to see a lord of the rings total war. Or what about Dungeons and Dragons total war? that has several settings as well to exploit. And more examples could be made.

No they could make at least 30 total war games still. They just need to stay innovative to stay at the top. I used to consider ensemble studios the best maker of historical strategy games but since rome total war I think they lost their crown to the total war series. This could happen to the total war series too, another might overthrow them.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

I still suspect a Shogun 2. Then after that, maybe a Rome 2. Then a Napoleonic era that will be more hated than the previous games combined since they wouldn't be able to pull a real gun-era game of without making it boring.

As the above poster pointed out, there are a gazillion of features out there, but only a very few makes it into the games, often one at the time. This while they also remove some old features which people loved. Smart move.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They could make a fantasy total war....

cant ****ing believe you are saying that rtw sucked.... it is on my ****ing top 5 list!
    Man that game was awesome, pitty bi sucked
    Last edited by Habelo; July 07, 2007 at 08:01 AM.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

I would like to see a shogun 2 as the first one sounded good but i didnt like the look of the gameplay. With the new engine and battle config it should be great
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod... and he'll break it up for firewood, or swap it for a fish.

"I grabbed a pile of dust, and holding it up, foolishly asked for as many birthdays as the grains of dust, I forgot to ask that they be years of youth. "
    — Ovid (Metamorphoses)

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I would love a shogun 2 as well, medieval 1 and shogun 1 I never tried because the graphics looked horrible compared to other strategy games.

Even better would be to let the far east clash with the west. It never happend thats why it seems so interesting. I dont mean the mongols since they dont differ too much from middle eastern armies in their tactics with relying on horse archers. I want to see Samurai fighting knights. I know Japan was secluded and all but what if others tried to invade them? Or what if they decided to expand their ground? Scotland never sacked Venice but that can happen too in Medieval 2.

Knights and Samurai are both bound by honour and such, seeing them clash is truly something I wish to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast