Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: re: History channel

Default re: History channel

I'm not sure if this is the right place/forum for this.

Yesterday was the 4th of July. The holiday celebrating the independence of the US. On the History channel a documentary was shown called: Revolution...that made me think:

Is the History channel international? If so, did they broadcast that show all over the world? Or do they broadcast different versions for other countries? Do they have a documentary thats taken from the British and French sides?

Default Re: History channel

I think the "History Channel" is just an American channel but they do have a channel called History International which I think may be played in other countries... Also, that revolution show was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jimexander the Mighty View Post
    I think the "History Channel" is just an American channel but they do have a channel called History International which I think may be played in other countries... Also, that revolution show was awesome
    oh ok, I was wondering if some French person was watching a show talking about how the US sold out the French after the Revolution or a British person seeing a show about how Cornwallis lost the colonies

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

We have the History Channel here in Blighty too. It's currently showing "De-Classified" on the Godfathers of Havana. Most of the programmes will be from the US but some are our own. Here is our History Channels site. LINK.
    Quote Originally Posted by morteduzionism View Post
    oh ok, I was wondering if some French person was watching a show talking about how the US sold out the French after the Revolution or a British person seeing a show about how Cornwallis lost the colonies
    Sounds like an interesting programme. I would watch it but I doubt it is the sort of programme that would interest most of the viewers over here. The American Revolutionary war is only really interesting to Americans. To us it was never really anything of importance. We made more money from Jamaica as part of the Empire so losing that would have been more important. Or of course India of which there has been some brilliant "Empire in Colour" programmes on recently.

What I am saying is that the TV producers have to show appropriate shows. Sometimes they overlap (particularly as you speak our language).
    Last edited by William the Bastard; July 05, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

History Channel? Never heard of it.

The Hitler Channel on the other hand....
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    History Channel? Never heard of it.

The Hitler Channel on the other hand....
    Or the UFO Channel. Yeah it can get quite irritating sometimes.

Indefinitely Banned

I don't see how anyone can watch the same documentary on Hitler so many times. In fact, they can't, which is why they make up stuff for new ones like, "Hitler was an evil space alien who's head exploded in 1941 which is why he went mad afterwards"

Quote Originally Posted by William the Bastard View Post
    The American Revolutionary war is only really interesting to Americans. To us it was never really anything of importance.
    See I suggested something like this the other day...and someone took exceptions to it...they acted as if the 4th of July was some sort of Earth holiday and needed to be celebrated worldwide......

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

We have the History Channel here in Blighty too. It's currently showing "De-Classified" on the Godfathers of Havana. Most of the programmes will be from the US but some are our own. Here is our History Channels site. LINK.

Sounds like an interesting programme. I would watch it but I doubt it is the sort of programme that would interest most of the viewers over here. The American Revolutionary war is only really interesting to Americans. To us it was never really anything of importance. We made more money from Jamaica as part of the Empire so losing that would have been more important. Or of course India of which there has been some brilliant "Empire in Colour" programmes on recently.

What I am saying is that the TV producers have to show appropriate shows. Sometimes they overlap (particularly as you speak our language).
    Actually India never became important till you guys lost the American colonies...

But anyways:
    Sixty years ago this week Hitler invaded Poland. This led to the creation of The History Channel. Jay Leno
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

The irony is

Some of the History on the History Channel is also a bit dodgy. From leaving important bits out, to saying things that just aren't true.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

529 on Sky.

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Or the UFO Channel. Yeah it can get quite irritating sometimes.
    I think you guys are confused with the modern marvels channel.

Here is called “Canal de História” and we can translate it by History Channel…

But there are lots of UFOs around there… and much other junk… it had reasonable programs some years ago…
    Um dia destes vou mudar a minha assinatura.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Actually India never became important till you guys lost the American colonies...

But anyways:
    Sixty years ago this week Hitler invaded Poland. This led to the creation of The History Channel. Jay Leno
    Yeah I did know that I just wanted an excuse to give an example of a programme that I wasn't sure was aired in the States - "The British Empire in ColoUr".
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus View Post
    I think you guys are confused with the modern marvels channel.
    As far as I am aware we don't have that channel. We have recently gotten "The Crime and Investigation" Channel that has taken a lot of the (IMHO) History Programmes with it.
    Last edited by William the Bastard; July 05, 2007 at 02:29 PM.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Over here in the states UFOs are more commonly seen on National "Geographic". Ofcourse, that's the same channel that shows like "The Dog Whisperer"(WTF? We've got Animal Planet for that nonsense!) are aired. Great Magazine, really crappy TV station.

The History/Hitler Channel has pretty much sold out to Hollywood at this point. If there isn't a movie on this particular subject, period, or person coming out soonish, chances are you won't see much about it. Like how Kingdom of Heaven was on it's way to theaters and all of a sudden it's Crusader week! Or Pirates of the Carribean, yup, lots of stuff about Pirates. I think the exceptions being the Dark Ages and Barbarians specials that came out awhile ago. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw all this stuff on Noah's Ark with the release of "Even Almighty".

On the upside, this means that every once and awhile they'll have a lull in the WW2 "We kicked some Ass" and the "Is the Bible the Worlds first PC?" specials for something that might be interesting.
    But, once the movie leaves theaters it's back to singing "Hitler & Jesus:I just can't take it anymore!"(Track nine on "The Celt's greatest hits" FYI)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Yeah I did know that I just wanted an excuse to give an example of a programme that I wasn't sure was aired in the States - "The British Empire in ColoUr".

As far as I am aware we don't have that channel. We have recently gotten "The Crime and Investigation" Channel that has taken a lot of the (IMHO) History Programmes with it.
    people say the hitler channel, ufo channel, modern marvel channel. im fairly sure they just refering to the history channel as those often are a majority of programing.

however the history international channel and the military channel are quite good. history channel can be iffy. like when they do the history of paint, or the history of water.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

"History International" is just all of the History Channel's older shows and Specials. Their "Garbage Can" if you will. Granted, alot of their older discontinued series were great.(Excluding the "History of Paper" shows...god that was painful.....) It's just that I've seen them all on History International, and now I just watch it in case a special I missed on the History Channel gets aired there.

The Military Channel has this great Mini-Series on WW1 that they air every once and awhile. But then again, that was a British produced min-series. The one they have on WW2 is basically American soldiers kicking ass while the Brits and Russians(If their mentioned) are just either pissing there pants or following the star-spangled Rambo trial.
    Last edited by Slaxx Hatmen; July 05, 2007 at 03:05 PM.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

I am guessing you do but do you get "Battlefield Detectives" in the States? I am not sure whether it is a British or American production but it seems to have had quite a lot of Brits working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by the celt View Post
    "History International" is just all of the History Channel's older shows and Specials. Their "Garbage Can" if you will. Granted, alot of their older discontinued series were great.(Excluding the "History of Paper" shows...god that was painful.....) It's just that I've seen them all on History International, and now I just watch it in case a special I missed on the History Channel gets aired there.
    actually theres alot of new stuff that comes on history international. while not as much as the military channel we do get a lot still.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

The only good regular shows on History Channel were Conquest and Mail Call. They canceled conquest...

I much prefer the Military Channel than the History Channel. Its much more interesting.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast