Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Byg's Grim Reality - Supply and Command (BGRIII, BGR IV & BGRIV Enhanced)

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality - Supply and Command III beta release

Quote Originally Posted by Methoz View Post
    only for SS4/5 - DLV ?
    2.1 and III can be used in any mod (just don't use the supplied world folder), but you wont get the recruitment effects used in III as the code needs to specify units and settlements. You will stil get the messages etc about which generals can recruit, but it wont happen. All the other effects are there though.

The new versions can only be used with DLV if you first remove all of my traits that are currently in DLV. I must do that sometime, it doesn't take long.

However, we (Nerazzurri is coding it) are testing a new installer that modders can use to make the recruitment code for any mod as easily as possible. Perhaps in hours, rather than the weeks the Stainless Steel Version took.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Patrician

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality - Supply and Command III UPDATED release

BGRIII Latest Version is now available. Upgrade from BGRIII beta or install into your copy of Stainless Steel or your modded copy of Stainless Steel below:

Join the BGRIII forum and download here:
    http://www.nerazzurri.net/bgr-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

If you are not using stainless steel mod, but would like to use BGRIII with any other mod please inquire in the BGRIII testers forum (The link is in my signature).

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

does this work for BC mod?:hmmm:

You'll need to setup the recruitment system manually because there's currently no predefined settings for it but it should work fine.

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

I would like to know how to get this to work with Darthmod please.

Patrician

It's a simple process to adapt BGRIII to any mod, but it will/may take time depending on what you want to do.

First, read the install instructions on the bgrIII testers forum HERE and about the mod, either HERE or on the first page of this thread on this forum so that you understand the principle. Then read on below.

Instead of loading up the .bgr file when the instructions tell you to, just edit the recruitment list yourself.

Select the mod directory you want to install into in the browse window.

Click on the limited recruitment button.

It's a question of going through the list and ticking who should have recruitment of each unit in the list.

Ticking captain means everyone will always be able to recruit that unit.

General means all generals and War Councillors can recruit that unit

War council means only war councillors can recruit that unit.

When done or at any time during, just click export to save the file. You can import it again to finish it or just before you install.

Don't click install unitil your list is finished.

If you do use the stainless steel .bgr file with another mod it will select all the units that are common to SS5.1 and your mod and set them for you the same as SS5.1 and will highlight any that have not been set that your mod introduces. (I have not yet tried this feature)

Don't select any mercenary only units as anything other than captain.

Units selected as general or war council will be subject to the religious AOR and all the other recruitment traits.

Will put up a decent tutorial sometime.
    Last edited by Byg; March 04, 2008 at 05:11 AM.

Ok, I did all that and the installer will not install. It says "could not install, check install log."

The log is in your temp directory (enter %temp% in the address bar of a Windows Explorer window). It will give details of why it failed.

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

I was wondering, when a character has "Impaired recruitment Ability" does that affect only the recruitment of the superior units or does it affect all recruitment?
    I am trying to find out whether this trait limits all recruitment in the event that the total kingdom armies reach or exceed a certain number. (so that a limited number of units can be fielded within given parameters)
    Thanks

I successfully installed the mod and have been playing it for about an hour now. I noticed however, that the trait "army fully supplied", "50 percent supplied," seems to just go away after sever turns of a siege or even just being in enemy territory. Does it still have an effect or is something wrong?

And how are captains treated? I mean with their morale bonuses (Or lack thereof) and supplies.

Patrician

Scalylizard
    Was answered on other thread. HERE

Quote Originally Posted by captainbloodloss View Post
    I successfully installed the mod and have been playing it for about an hour now. I noticed however, that the trait "army fully supplied", "50 percent supplied," seems to just go away after sever turns of a siege or even just being in enemy territory. Does it still have an effect or is something wrong?

And how are captains treated? I mean with their morale bonuses (Or lack thereof) and supplies.
    Do you mean the popup message in faction announcements ceases to announce supply status or that there is no supply trait in the general's trait list? Can you post your export_descr_character_traits file in the bgrIII testers forum? (Zip it first).

Captains are subject to occasional rebellion, so at least with a general you have some indication of whether he will rebel, making large captained armies unwise. The idea is that captained armies only exist on foraging/pillaging and using that method only for supply makes the men unruly.

Splitting a large captained army up fits with the reasoning as some will find forage and some wont (it is less likely that both parts of a split army will rebel). The same logic can be thought of with generalled armies who run out of supplies. Split the army up and run for a home settlement or risk it and leave things to chance.

Ok, I posted it there.

Patrician

[QUOTE=captainbloodloss;2764164]I successfully installed the mod and have been playing it for about an hour now. I noticed however, that the trait "army fully supplied", "50 percent supplied," seems to just go away after sever turns of a siege or even just being in enemy territory. Does it still have an effect or is something wrong?
    QUOTE]

Looking at the file you uploaded indicates that you installed bgrIII on top of an older version of bgr.

Older or even current versions of bgr must always be removed before installing bgr again or you may get two versions of the traits. The installer tried to cope by renaming some, but didn't quite manage it.

I was not aware that darthmod used an old version or any version of bgr, so where is it from?

Did you install some manual version by mistake before you used the auto installer?
    Last edited by Byg; March 05, 2008 at 05:35 PM.

Patrician

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality - Supply and Command IV (available for testing)

BGR IV Now available for testing. Here

The test files are for Stainless Steel 6.1 users only. As usual a multi mod version will follow after testing.

The main threads for all BGR versions are the first two below in my signature.
    Last edited by Byg; October 29, 2008 at 09:01 AM.

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Byg - the only reason I gave upon your mod and other mods like it was it made small countries like Scotland ridiculously strong and made them as powerful in units as England with 6 times the cities and towns. The second thing was that the game regularly was not generating enough sons/generals to be able to cope with the demands of your mod. Remembering that you have to have a General in each of your major cities/forts, when trying to expand your faction you regularly find there is just not enough.

How does BYG IV, in your view, deal with these issues?
    Search THEN ask on these forums!!!

.... and check out the Expanded America's mod at :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185565

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
    Byg - the only reason I gave upon your mod and other mods like it was it made small countries like Scotland ridiculously strong and made them as powerful in units as England with 6 times the cities and towns. The second thing was that the game regularly was not generating enough sons/generals to be able to cope with the demands of your mod. Remembering that you have to have a General in each of your major cities/forts, when trying to expand your faction you regularly find there is just not enough.

How does BYG IV, in your view, deal with these issues?
    You mean "made small factions strong", by making it a harder and more taxing mental challenge to build an army for the human player who may be playing as a large faction? Well, in a sense it doesn't because it also makes big factions strong as long as they are ai controlled. That sounds confusing, but essentially it makes your own faction weaker as it expands, relative to ai factions. That is the same in IV as III.

On a historical sidenote, small factions do not always have the least powerful or smallest armies anyway. The Mongols had a population of hundreds of thousands, yet still beat the Chinese who had a population of millions. Its how you use your people that matters.

You don't actually have to have a general in each settlement and fort.

Nevertheless if lack of generals was an issue for you (I have not found it to be in my own campaigns) then I expect you were using your war councillors for constant recruitment and waging war with your weaker generals and getting them killed. I think we all were using bgrIII that way.
    Am i right? If that's the case then you wont be able to do that in BGRIV because the disincentives are too great. When the King says he wants professional, centralised army control he means it this time. Hopefully in this version the King and his two associate War Councillors will get to do all your fighting and with them being your most powerful generals you wont lose so many.
    Also you will find that it is now much easier to get two other War Councillors, again encouraging your better generals to lead the armies. If there is not a strong contender for the position then your leader will pick a weaker one up to a point.
    The same issue will also be helped by WCs being able to pass on their recruiting ability without losing their fighting ability.
    I hope that answers your points.
    Last edited by Byg; October 29, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

As I said BYG, I haven't used any mod like your for a while, and still have problems sometimes having enough generals. I know you don't need a general for every small town and fort, but you need enough for the big cities and forts that can produce the higher units and you need to control cities to generate the best income, etc. So by the time an England is taking on France and has half the country under its control, for example, it just gets harder to have all the generals needed even without the extra demands you mod puts on having them. If anything reality would say there was a surplus of Generals and Kings used their advisors to choose the best. It wasn't a case of being so few you had to use weak generals whether yuo wanted to or not! You make it sound like it's the player's fault for using Captains and weak Generals, but I say this happens out of neccessity.

Patrician

As I said BYG, I haven't used any mod like your for a while, and still have problems sometimes having enough generals. I know you don't need a general for every small town and fort, but you need enough for the big cities and forts that can produce the higher units and you need to control cities to generate the best income, etc. So by the time an England is taking on France and has half the country under its control, for example, it just gets harder to have all the generals needed even without the extra demands you mod puts on having them. If anything reality would say there was a surplus of Generals and Kings used their advisors to choose the best. It wasn't a case of being so few you had to use weak generals whether yuo wanted to or not! You make it sound like it's the player's fault for using Captains and weak Generals, but I say this happens out of neccessity.
    Sounds like you are really after recruitable generals. It's not terrible thing to have recruitable generals, but I personally was glad to see them go. The M2TW engine does actually aim to give a constant ratio of characters to settlements afaik, though obviously if you take a few settlements fast it will take time for more members to come of age and usually you find more adoptees instead.
    As I said, I have not suffered from lack of generals other than through loss on the field, which is my own fault and I accept the loss.
    I do actually say it is players fault for using captains & weak generals if better ones are sitting about. Its all about making decisions and facing the repercussions.
    Maybe you could track down a mod that will make generals recruitable or you could grab some tips from the modding tutorial section and add them to the buildings file. You could then do this procedure in whatever mod you are currently playing or ever want to play. There may also be a tweak to make family members generate faster, but I don't know.
    Should I find in my current test campaign that lack of generals has become a problem then I will increase them.

Thanks for that BYG, will check around to see whats out there. Would be nice to be able to say 'no' appointees, but I find I am desperate for every single one that appears and grab them even though thy are dubious as I am always short of what I need! Daughters/Princesses are not any better in that it seems random whether you snag a foreign General or the girl falls for him! I might say the same for the merchants. Why can I have a merchant on a site for 30 turns and him niot know enough about the area and his product to be taken over by a Dane or whoever just walzing in? I'd love to know the math on Sons/Daughters Princesses/Generals and Merchantslosing winning. I know each have experience levels which come into account,I am just saying why, for a merchant for example, is not 30 turns learning his product and his area not raising his level, but moving around knowing a little about a lot gets you the levelling up!

It's all these little things that when added to what your mod forces makes the game more a drudgery than entertaining.

Patrician

Thanks for that BYG, will check around to see whats out there. Would be nice to be able to say 'no' appointees, but I find I am desperate for every single one that appears and grab them even though thy are dubious as I am always short of what I need! Daughters/Princesses are not any better in that it seems random whether you snag a foreign General or the girl falls for him! I might say the same for the merchants. Why can I have a merchant on a site for 30 turns and him niot know enough about the area and his product to be taken over by a Dane or whoever just walzing in? I'd love to know the math on Sons/Daughters Princesses/Generals and Merchantslosing winning. I know each have experience levels which come into account,I am just saying why, for a merchant for example, is not 30 turns learning his product and his area not raising his level, but moving around knowing a little about a lot gets you the levelling up!

It's all these little things that when added to what your mod forces makes the game more a drudgery than entertaining.
    Hi, well as you say, those things aren't part of my mod, so what you can do is turn down your campaign level difficulty, that way M2TW makes your stats count more equally vs ai stats in some respects.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast