Thread: Vassalage and Attack Faction - do they work?

Default Vassalage and Attack Faction - do they work?

What has been people's experience in UAI 1.5 with making AI factions your vassals, and paying factions to attack other factions?

I've still not seen factions attack other factions when I pay them to do it. Has anyone had a different experience?

As for vassalage, I'm a little stumped. I take it your military power has to be "supreme," you have to be seen as very wealthy, and your target AI faction probably has to be "bankrupt" with "pathetic" military power. But how does your reputation factor in to vassalage? Does it matter if you are despicable or immaculate? Or is it just all about wealth and power?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Icon6 Re: Vassalage and Attack Faction - do they work?

The thing about vassalage the AI will only except an offer like that if you have a good relationship with them.(Like trade rights and Mapinfo) However, as in RTW, the demand vassal option is only available in the diplomacy menu if your at war with that faction. Pretty stupid I know, but I think that's the reason why it's so hard to get a vassal/protectorate in these games and keep them.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Eranshahr's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Vassalage and Attack Faction - do they work?

I can get vassals pretty easy on my game. But the problem is that I have no use for them. they do nothing. they are supposed to assist in war, but no. Nothing. The only funny thing is that I feel superior over a whole civilization, and only if the vassal has one city.

And what about Attack Faction? Anyone ever see any results from that?

Actually, its rather easy to get a vassal. An example of that is in a campaign i had in Custom campaigns (normal campaign ai of course). I was Hungary and me and the byzantines allied, beat back the venetians (byzantines are by far the most powerful) then they send about 4 stacks after me, of course after losing my army i cause a stalemate, slowly i pick off his land, call ceasefires, raise our rep. Eventually i had them down to 2 provinces, after maybe 50 turns of hardcore-fighting. offered them vassalage, they accepted. Keep in mind my king was full chivalry, i never once executed or sacked or even exterminated an army or city. I always Occupied a city and released prisoners, it really helps in diplomacy. Now as for the attack faction, the most i got outa the byzantines as a vassale, was to give them 10,000gold and all they did was blockade crete, so dont expect much if they do attack.

notger's Avatar Decanus

Playing Genoa in SicilianVespers 2.1 (with UAI 1.5), I made Venice a vassal. Venice was attacked by the Byzzies and offering assistance I was able to cancel all agreements with the Byzzies and go to war without losing any reputation. So that might be linked.
    (And reputation went up, as I continued to 'protect' my vassal.)

Icon5 Re: Vassalage and Attack Faction - do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Naja View Post
    And what about Attack Faction? Anyone ever see any results from that?
    I wonder about the exact same thing, I have tried a few times but they just take my money and do nothing. Is it disabled in this mod? Can it be re-enabled somehow? Or is it just buggy from the get-go?