Thread: Lesson 3: Creating Diffuse/Color Textures

Default Lesson 3: Creating Diffuse/Color Textures

Here is the Download Link:

This tutorial goes over how to take the seamless texture you created from Lesson 2, and add dirt and age to it to make it look like a better texture. This uses skills you have learned already and introduces the Brush System:
    http://twc.robg3d.com/tutorials/photoshopTutorial_3.zip

This tutorial is just over 30 minutes long.

Assignment:
    Take the texture you created in Assignment 2, and add dirt and grime and interest using techniques you are shown in the third tutorial and previously. In addition to the method of making a rusty nail as I did in the tutorial, you can try something like take a specific feature from an existing photo (such as a crack, a clump of grass, a rivet, nail, etc.), and putting this into your seamless texture.

I will make a thread tomorrow to post a screenshot of "before" and "after" for your assignment. We will crit them as a class when they are posted, so keep them all to one thread, so everyone sees everyone else's work.

Please post any questions pertaining to the assignment or class in this thread.

Resources:
    Use your assignment from Lesson 2 as a base, or use someone else's from the class.
    You can find Brushes at:
    http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.c...type=downloads
    There are also lots of cool things to take a look at later, but for right now, just download a few of the brushes.

Please contact me or post here with any questions, issues, or suggestions. All assignments should be in by July 9.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Professor420; July 04, 2007 at 12:46 PM.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Default Re: Lesson 3: Creating Diffuse/Color Textures

Hey, was just wondering if its me, or does this tutorial feel a lot more choppier? In the properties, it says 15fps, but to me it looks more like 1-5 fps... hard to follow the mouse...
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

Alright, I recompressed and uploaded a better version.

I also added a download link for Photoshop brushes to the original post.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Still too choppy.

ps: Am I the only one who thinks the 2nd half went too fast?
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Decanus

nope i had it too you, stuff was happening without opening any windows

Can you guys be more specific? What is wrong with the second half? You mean that I went to fast, or the compression, what do you mean?

Both. It kinda makes me wonder if you've watched your own tutorial or just recorded it and put it up for uploading.

First, you spent ~15 minutes just talking and showing various brush features, then kicked into turbo mode and went through the actual changes at light-speed. I would really like a slower-paced and more clean tutorial (without the "oops, I did this wrong, let's delete this layer"), or even 2 separate ones. One, to demo the brushes, and 2nd to go through the rusty nail creation.
    RTR website/SVN admin

No, I don't watch my own tutorials. You think after I spend a half-hour recording a tutorial, then wait an hour to compress it, I am going to redo it because I stuttered a couple times? Perhaps when I'm paid for it but up to now, beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you for the feedback and I'll keep it in mind, but the first half of the tutorial was the important part and what I spent most time on. It wasn't a 'rusty nail' tutorial and the goal wasn't instructing you how to make a rusty nail. In fact, I sort of hoped it wouldn't be easy to recreate; the goal was to demonstrate the features of brushes and then a possible way to use them. I may have gone through the rusty nail quickly, but its the concepts of making the nail (brushes to paint masks, noise, clouds, layer styles) that are important; I could have made the nail 100 different ways, this was meant to demonstrate just one possible process.

If there are any specific questions I will be happy to answer, but focus on the concepts behind the process of creating the nail and not the creation of the nail itself.

There are no beggars here. YOU volunteered for this, and while I appreciate the time you spend making the tutorials, I don't want to waste my time anymore than you do. This is going to sound harsh, but free trash is still trash, and no one is going to want it.

The fact that after 5 days, only 1 person (out of probably over 100 that signed up) turned in their lesson 3 assignment should tell you something...

Truly disappointing.
    RTR website/SVN admin

If you are complaining about the quality of the tutorials, remember this:

I didn't have any Photoshop video tutorials or classes to learn from.

Yes, I had to walk 15 miles uphill in the snow without shoes to get to school. I'm not here to buy you all helicopters, I'm here to help you make that walk. If you want to learn, you have to sacrifice and you have to put in work yourself sometimes; generally I'm here to help you along, but instead of crying when I let go of your hand, perhaps you should concentrate on the task at hand and work through these rough spots.

I added a link to download my brushes (as requestd by Roman Man), http://twc.robg3d.com/tutorials/brushes.zip

I've also put the link in the Course Overview sticky.