Thread: (EB modding) Modding out the Red Sea Canal on the EB Map...

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Default (EB modding) Modding out the Red Sea Canal on the EB Map...

Has anyone tried modding out the Red Sea canal in the EB map? I've tried to remove it myself, following the tutorials available (I'm doing this because it mars an otherwise perfect map). However, after having edited the .tga files for the map, I can only reduce the canals width to a small sliver of water from the red sea to the mediterranean. According to the tutorials, I shoud be seeing land and no water. Is there something I'm missing? Are the water trade routes preventing the canal from being entirely removed? Is there a .txt file I need to edit?

If anyone has advice or has edited successfully removed the canal, please post files or suggestions. Perhaps a list of every file I must edit to deal with water tiles would be a good start.

thanks, dR
    Last edited by deRougemont; July 02, 2007 at 03:22 PM.

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Default Re: (EB modding) Modding out the Red Sea Canal on the EB Map...

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    Has anyone tried modding out the Red Sea canal in the EB map? I've tried to remove it myself, following the tutorials available (I'm doing this because it mars an otherwise perfect map). However, after having edited the .tga files for the map, I can only reduce the canals width to a small sliver of water from the red sea to the mediterranean. According to the tutorials, I shoud be seeing land and no water. Is there something I'm missing? Are the water trade routes preventing the canal from being entirely removed? Is there a .txt file I need to edit?

If anyone has advice or has edited successfully removed the canal, please post files or suggestions. Perhaps a list of every file I must edit to deal with water tiles would be a good start.

thanks, dR
    I'm not 100% familiar with EB's map but I can tell you this:

What you should do:
    - Edited the map_heights.tga and made the channel 1,1,1 (or any other grey-scale value).
    - Edited the map_ground_types.tga and made the channel something else than water.
    - Edited the map_regions.tga and gave the channel stroke an existing region color value.
    - Deleted the map.rwm file

You don't have to edit any of the TXT files and the map_trade_routes.tga is unnecessary.

This should do it, technically

W

Quote Originally Posted by WImPyTjeH View Post
    I'm not 100% familiar with EB's map but I can tell you this:

What you should do:
    - Edited the map_heights.tga and made the channel 1,1,1 (or any other grey-scale value).
    - Edited the map_ground_types.tga and made the channel something else than water.
    - Edited the map_regions.tga and gave the channel stroke an existing region color value.
    - Deleted the map.rwm file

You don't have to edit any of the TXT files and the map_trade_routes.tga is unnecessary.

This should do it, technically

W
    Alright, those are the three files I've edited previous to coming to the rome workshop for help (I also deleted the map.rwm). The canal has been made a region color, water has been replaced by ground types and the blue has been blacked out. Yet, the canal only shrinks in size. How is it possible that with the water edited out of the three .tga's that some water still shows up in-game (there is just barely enough to connect the red sea to the the Mediterranean for some reason)? I didn't think that was possible. Any ideas?
    Last edited by deRougemont; July 02, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

UPDATE: With the help of sister makanyane, I figured out that I was using the RGB values of 000 instead of 111 as you mentioned wimpy. I only had to alter the map_heights.tga file to eliminate the red sea canal. All is well now, thanks for your help. + rep.
    Last edited by deRougemont; July 02, 2007 at 09:37 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    UPDATE: With the help of brother makanyane, I figured out that I was using the RGB values of 000 instead of 111 as you mentioned wimpy. I only had to alter the map_heights.tga file to eliminate the red sea canal. All is well now, thanks for your help. + rep.
    BROTHER ??? ... no no...try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    BROTHER ??? ... no no...try again.
    Whoops! Sister of course (a slip of the tongue, erm, finger!)