Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Faction Preview: The Scythians

Default Re: New Faction Preview: The Scythians

Eprirus is gone, Syracuse will be a 'batch' file -- you'll be able to have it in the game if you want to. Epirus just never did much, and nobody on the team really defended its inclusion. Some of us tend to think think it's a wasted faction slot.

[quote=cherryfunk;1909597]We'll have a new Greek faction pretty soon, since we've agreed that the 'Greek Cities' faction is historically inaccurate. So there's a rather, uh, 'popular' Greek faction in the works, and then others, later, using batch files.

Very Cool! Iam feeling excited!

That's the goal of Roma Surrectum -- we love both the fast, fun gameplay of Darthmod and SPQR and similar mods, and also the historical realism of EB and RTR, so we're trying to find a balance.

I never played SPOR or Darthmodd.
    But have played with EB. Which impressed me with a good list of units for mercs. And Historical Units.
    What i didnt like is the cost for the units and the dates being short after a.d.
    With RS Its a great time period being 218 b.c. and goes into the espansion and the holding of the roman empire. Eb falls short with its date ending in 12 b.c.e.
    With this extra time you could do alot of things like the conquest of Judia
    which hapened at 70 a.d.
    And further expanding.

I feel you gents have my desire !
    I do enjoy Fast fun gameplay and also the realism! Both in units and historical landmarks.
    So you think it will be a few months before we see all this new suff?

looking forward even if i have to start over my campaign for the 3rd time.
    And by the way its worth it.
    I never could know what i was getting into until i bought this RTW!
    You gents are showing the true title of this game.
    ROME TOTAL WAR !!
    If DVK sees fit. I would be willing to give donations to show how sincere
    i am !! Like i said i would pay for this right away if this was a offical patch!
    from CA!!
    thank you Guys!
    ALL OF YOU!!

Oh yes one little thing will you be adding a few units for the Judias rebles?
    Last edited by swhunter; June 30, 2007 at 01:12 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

[QUOTE=swhunter;1909968]
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    We'll have a new Greek faction pretty soon, since we've agreed that the 'Greek Cities' faction is historically inaccurate. So there's a rather, uh, 'popular' Greek faction in the works, and then others, later, using batch files.

Very Cool! Iam feeling excited!

That's the goal of Roma Surrectum -- we love both the fast, fun gameplay of Darthmod and SPQR and similar mods, and also the historical realism of EB and RTR, so we're trying to find a balance.

I never played SPOR or Darthmodd.
    But have played with EB. Which impressed me with a good list of units for mercs. And Historical Units.
    What i didnt like is the cost for the units and the dates being short after a.d.
    With RS Its a great time period being 218 b.c. and goes into the espansion and the holding of the roman empire. Eb falls short with its date ending in 12 b.c.e.
    With this extra time you could do alot of things like the conquest of Judia
    which hapened at 70 a.d.
    And further expanding.

I feel you gents have my desire !
    I do enjoy Fast fun gameplay and also the realism! Both in units and historical landmarks.
    So you think it will be a few months before we see all this new suff?

looking forward even if i have to start over my campaign for the 3rd time.
    And by the way its worth it.
    I never could know what i was getting into until i bought this RTW!
    You gents are showing the true title of this game.
    ROME TOTAL WAR !!
    If DVK sees fit. I would be willing to give donations to show how sincere
    i am !! Like i said i would pay for this right away if this was a offical patch!
    from CA!!
    thank you Guys!
    ALL OF YOU!!

Oh yes one little thing will you be adding a few units for the Judias rebles?
    Swhunter........we do this for the same reason you play it....we all have a love for the time period and this game. I really think one of the reasons that all the mods are so good is because they are done by people who do it for the joy of it, and for free. When you start paying people to do things, then you have 'agendas', and when you have agendas you start boxing in creativity and innovation because the people who pay you dictate the way things are done.

I think one of the best examples I can think of concerning this would be Michelangelo and Pope Julian, who was paying him to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. They gave Michealangelo an 'agenda'...even told him what they wanted painted up there...but he couldn't work that way. Got him into a lot of trouble with the Pope, and the project took forever until he was allowed to paint his own vision of the project. The result was a masterpiece probably unlike any other fresco painting in history. Almost another 'wonder of the world'.

On a much smaller scale, of course, we have our visions too...and I think we have stuck to them for the most part....a depiction of the time as accurate and historical as is 'reasonably possible', and yet, it's still fun to play.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

DVK, What has been done allready, would be a donation, not
    what is yet to come.
    And i only ask. Its your ship, and team, only ideas to be looked at and deicided by you and the others.
    Iam sure its much as fun as putting it together as playing it. Or is it more ?
    Because you gents know what you go though to make it. And see the work involved and the rewards of thanks from us. Which isnt much....( thinking of my self )
    I hope that stuff you told me to do helped about monuments and places of worship from other factions helped.
    If you want me to research anything else ill be glad to help.
    thank you
    Last edited by swhunter; June 30, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    DVK, What has been done allready, would be a donation, not
    what is yet to come.
    And i only ask. Its your ship, and team, only ideas to be looked at and deicided by you and the others.
    Iam sure its much as fun as putting it together as playing it. Or is it more ?
    Because you gents know what you go though to make it. And see the work involved and the rewards of thanks from us. Which isnt much....( thinking of my self )
    I hope that stuff you told me to do helped about monuments and places of worship from other factions helped.
    If you want me to research anything else ill be glad to help.
    thank you
    "Iam sure its much as fun as putting it together as playing it. Or is it more ?"

Yes, it is more. It's learning and getting deeper into the lives and times of these people. Understanding their ideas, goals, joys, sorrows, dreams and accomplishments. They are 'us' in a different time, and someone once said (I've forgotten who), "If you don't know where you've been, then you have no idea where you're going."

When I first started modding this game, I knew a considerable amount about the Romans, a bit about the Greeks, and almost nothing about the barbarians or the eastern nations of this time. Now, I know so much that I'm sad in knowing how LITTLE I know about them. For me, I guess, that's why I enjoy this project so much, because it's a great teacher...and most of the mods are in some sense 'teaching' people about this wonderful age in history.

A good example is the Scythians. RTW porteays them as 'barbarian'...backwords, uncivilized, uneducated....almost like a bunch of monkeys just riding horses killing things and eating and reproducing. But they were a GLORIOUS people!! They had a fabulous understanding of art and culture, a very simple and enviable way of life, and they militarily challenged some of the greatest empires that ever existed. How is that 'barbaric'?

So you see, it's a lot of fun just to know the truth!!

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

tone has whipped up some new pics showing the Scythians in-game and they do look pretty 'glorious'

Last edited by cherryfunk; July 02, 2007 at 06:26 AM.

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

all i can say is...wow

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Im speechlesss lol....... tone those are amazing and I thank the whole RS team for a great mod!!!

WOW !
    Very cool!
    How meny ciites will they be allowed at the start?
    once you have the 3 new factions planned for the next update i guess that will take away from the freepeoples?
    How will that balanced out?
    Also these new factions at the start of the game will not have its elite armour before the romans go into reform would they?
    please explain your plan how this will balance in RS, if you will have the time.
    thank you.

Great work guys. This will probably be the first mod i will ever play as the Scythians. Those fishy scale armour guys are simply awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    WOW !
    Very cool!
    How meny ciites will they be allowed at the start?
    once you have the 3 new factions planned for the next update i guess that will take away from the freepeoples?
    How will that balanced out?
    Also these new factions at the start of the game will not have its elite armour before the romans go into reform would they?
    please explain your plan how this will balance in RS, if you will have the time.
    thank you.
    The Scythians I believe will have two to three regions, Scythian Neapolis will be the capital in the Crimea, Olbia might be a city, and a city cutting Dacia off from the coast I think, don't quote me. The Greek style free people will all be moved to real Greek cities along the Med coast, so they won't really be that weak, and the other two factions coming are not along the coast (a little tidbit for you guys to think about). Of course other factions can get their elite armor before the Marian reforms. Just because the Romans are stupid doesn't mean everyone else has to be. (Dvk will kill me for saying that)

Great work guys. This will probably be the first mod i will ever play as the Scythians. Those fishy scale armour guys are simply awesome.
    So far its the only mod that has the Scythians. Everyone else has only Sarmatians.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

so for the other factions...if they aern't on the coast...what could they be. i guessed athens or sparta, and averni, or chatti or suebi. i think it'll be one of the barbarian factions, but does anyone know of a non coastal greek kingdom or empire? bactra maybe? but the map doesn't got hat far east.

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

well, strictly speaking, there is more than three new factions. as we are renaming and moving some factions. the germans, iberians and gauls have been renamed and moved.

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

could you tell us where they have been moved to, or is that confidential.

No, yes LOL
    We'll tell all soon

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

awww

Thanks guys for all the questions answered from you all!
    sounds like RS is going to be different completely before you know it!
    Which i heard from earlyer posts.
    sounds like not one ounce of vanilla will be left in RS from units mercs.
    sounds sreenshots,landscape or anything!
    Which is a good thing! Looking forward to this!!

yep, same, can't wait to see the finished product of this next patch. percentage wise, how complete is this mod?
    Last edited by icydawgfish; July 02, 2007 at 01:49 AM.

sorry by mistake
    Last edited by swhunter; July 02, 2007 at 02:09 AM.

ok, u tyvm, u might want 2 edit that so dvk, or one of the other mods doesn't chew u out about it. that's what i ddi to mine, and no, i don't have a washing machine. my mom works tommorrow, so maybe i could hide them and then do laundry while she is at work.
    Last edited by icydawgfish; July 02, 2007 at 02:05 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast