Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Iraq really have the fourth largest army in the world?

Default Did Iraq really have the fourth largest army in the world?

During Desertstorm that is. I got into an argument with a friend of mine about it, because it was odd to me, that Iraq would possess the fourth largest army in the world, yet be destroyed so easily.

Default Re: Did Iraq really have the fourth largest army in the world?

Yes, they did, they got crushed because virtually the entire western hemipsphere attacked them. That beans 2 of the largest.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

The problem with the Iraqi Army in DS was that it had no good junior officers and NCOs. Thus it was heavily reliant upon higher command to give it direction. Well the US and Allied Air Force destroyed the Iraqi Communications apparatus thus the Iraqi Army was unable to fight back effectively.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

it was 4th largest but not fourth best, poorly trained troops and alot of outdated kit (not god awful but not up to yank standards). if you gave evry guy in china a knife you could say they had an army half a billion strong but it wouldnt be a good army
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

This just goes to show you, size isn't everything, money is.

That's why I always roll my eyes when people tell me China and Iran have great armies. No. They have BIG armies.

Size means little. You want to rank armies? Look at defense spending.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    it was 4th largest but not fourth best, poorly trained troops and alot of outdated kit (not god awful but not up to yank standards). if you gave evry guy in china a knife you could say they had an army half a billion strong but it wouldnt be a good army
    Although the Iraqis used a lot of Soviet equipment (US even got a go-ahead from USSR to invade, even), their equipment was poorly serviced by both Russian and American Standards. On top of this, the Americans had pretty much total air superiority...Iraqis didn't exactly have anywhere to hunker down and hide either, not like there were mountains. Everything really worked against them in that war.

More about defense spending:

The U.S. spends in the neighborhood of $450 billion a year on defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._United_States

By comparison Iraq's TOTAL GDP is only $88 billion.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print/iz.html

In other words we spend 5 times as much money on defense as they have, period.

Now of course I'm sure Iraq's GDP was higher at the time (adjusted for inflation anyway), but you get the point.

Iraq had the 4th largest armored division in the world, not the 4th largest army. A lack of air-cover rendered their tanks useless - or giant coffins.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Many People keep forgetting What it was like before Desert Strom , every defense analyst was saying that Iraq would be a tough nut to crack with the 4th largest army and that they had virtually a Decade of Experience of War against the Iranians , they were saying that The coming Fight would be a hard one and they were preparing for massive casualty , about 30,000 in the first few week itself. The Image of Iraq was completely different back then , not like it was before the 2nd gulf war.
    Last edited by Darkragnar; June 29, 2007 at 04:16 PM.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

The problem with the Iraqi Army in DS was that it had no good junior officers and NCOs.
    That's been a major problem of virtually every military in the Middle East for a long time now historically. Just look at the Iran-Iraq War during the 80s and then think of some of the most fundamental modern strategies preached throughout Western military doctrine concerning conventional maneuver warfare for the last half century. Throughout the entire war the ideas/strategems concerning Mobility & Firepower never once went through either the Iraqis' or Iranian's heads. It was literally a redux of WWI in terms of just about everything, leadership, communication, objectives, etc.

Many People keep forgetting What it was like before Desert Strom , every defense analyst was saying that Iraq would be a tough nut to crack with the 4th largest army and that they had virtually a Decade of Experience of War against the Iranians , they were saying that The coming Fight would be a hard one and they were preparing for massive casualty , about 30,000 in the first few weeks itself. The Image of Iraq was completely different back then , not like it was before the 2nd gulf war.
    Couldn't be more accurate if I said it myself, and do you know what the funny thing is? The same people say practically the same thing today concerning Iran and it's "vaunted" military.

Yes it did, but what most people over look is that Saddam's once proud army, came out a crippled man from the Iran-Iraq war. What the media portrayed during the run up to Operation Desert Storm was a myth, constructed during the 1970's, when Iraq was at its highest point, considered a golden age of sorts by most Iraq's, a period long since lost to the shadows of history and crushed by Saddam's violent rule.
    Last edited by Major.Stupidity; July 02, 2007 at 11:58 PM.
    "The ABC of our profession, is to avoid large abstract terms in order to try to discover behind them the only concrete realities, which are human beings."
    - Marc Bloch

Under the Patronage of Lord Rahl

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

I don't think it had the 4th largest. I think the biggest armies were those of China,USA,Russia,India.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

The fact that had the fourth largest army doesn't mean anything,
    USA
    URSS
    Israel
    United Kingdom
    France
    Germany
    ecc. ecc.
    had the most technologically advanced army in world.
    The Iraq army is a typical non professional army, in the Iran-Iraq war the Iraqis soldiers fight at day and sleep at night, the coalition forces with the night vision can fight 24 hour for 24.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    I don't think it had the 4th largest. I think the biggest armies were those of China,USA,Russia,India.
    It had about 1.2 million ground troops according to wikipedia. At the time the Soviet Union was under going cut backs and I don't believe in peacetime the US has ever reached 1 million. China and India however have maintained sizable armies. Its all numbers though a only means something when there is little or no technological advantage.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

We've always had around 2 million peace time and of that 1.2 or 3 active and the rest reserve.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by JP226 View Post
    We've always had around 2 million peace time and of that 1.2 or 3 active and the rest reserve.
    However not all of that is the army. The army is well under 1 million.

Nobodies claiming the Iraqis had a great navy or airforce.

Darsh's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

Iraq had also the first ghost chimical weapons.

Légion étrangère : « Honneur et Fidélité »

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

i think in advance and power Indian and Pakistan armies would come in 3,4 th place because they have [top secret size for the metal ] tanks which have been made with Russians and Chinese scientists so i dont think irag have the 4th place and also check out the list
    btw [american spend more than trillion dollars alone in the irag, afghan war so far rumors have it[they have the highest loan in world bank]]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...f_armed_forces
    Last edited by Chola_Kingdom; June 29, 2007 at 03:54 PM.

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Caelius View Post
    Couldn't be more accurate if I said it myself, and do you know what the funny thing is? The same people say practically the same thing today concerning Iran and it's "vaunted" military.
    Exactly Mate, thats what i keep telling everyone i know of how stupid this really is, they even use the same words, cant be bothered to change them even
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

lets see a couple reasons

first- they had just gotten out of a long brutal war with iran. soldiers were experienced, but very exausted, their will to fight was already very weak. combine this with the fog of war ( no communications and being bombarded from the air for months) and they had the will sapped out of them.

2nd- equipment was haphazard. take their tanks for example, which were considered quite good at the time, but ive heard of things like most of their gunbarrels were worn out, long past their service life of 100 rounds. this could explain their poor accuracy and range. remember think of iraq capabilities like those of the nazi's on D-day, most of their armored divisions had been shot to peices by close air support long before the opposing army came into sight. they most likely were opperating at a fraction of their true strength.

3rd- coalition forces bypassed most of the iraqi defenses situated on the boarder and sea. they iraqi forces had very strong defenses setup, thats why we did the big left hook flank attack and went around them blitz style. if we went head on against most of their dug in forces, it might have been a bit bloodier. this is why the heavy fighting was done by the republican guard, because they were sitting in the iraq boarder to be used as reinforcements, they werent up on the saudi-kuwait boarder, they were sitting back at the iraq-kuwait boarder. the whole battle played out much like the german invasion of france. bypass the heavy defenses and all your fighting is the enemy reserves that are widely dispersed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast