Thread: Reasons for trying DLV?

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

Default Reasons for trying DLV?

Hi all!

I've been a loyal follower of LTC for quite some time now after having been disappointed by DLV the first time around (which was some way back). Now I'm thinking of trying it again to see if it's changed for the better but I have a few questions first (note: these are primarily for those of you who have tested both mods!):

1. What would you say are the main differences between LTC and DLV?
    2. What would you say are the main differences between DLV and vanilla?
    3. What are the great benefits of playing DLV?

Now, of course you don't have to answer these questions, shrug and walk off. But I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a clue as to what this mod is about. Thanks!

ZaPPPa's Avatar RTR co-daddy

Default Re: Reasons for trying DLV?

1) For me the main difference is that LTC still used the small vanilla map which I hate. I also think that DLV has the most new traits of any mod on this forum. DLV also features some extra factions. LTC is basically a balanced vanilla, while DLV is an extended version of the original (and pretty balanced as well I might add).

2) New factions, tons of extra traits, different building tree, much slower campaign progress. And, obviously, it is a lot more balanced than vanilla. Oh, and DLV has incorporates all the AI advances that people have developed, so diplomacy is WAY better than vanilla.

3) DLV is completely unpredictable the first time you play it. Take a new faction such as Ireland, Flanders or Kiev Rus and it's like playing a totally different game.. Play on VH/VH and I predict you being crushed the first time around until you get used to the new features.
    Also, expect to become attached to your family members, feeling defeated when your favorite son dies unexpectedly and his perverted, ignorant, queer little brother becoming next in line for the throne.. oh, and the little bastard will live to be 100 years old... obviously.

Not if his one ship is sunk by a full pirate navy
    Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers.
    Aristotle

ZaPPPa's post sez it all for me.

So don't be shy, give it a try!

LTC is an enhanced Vanilla version. You can manipulate it and blitz in LTC, you cannot do that in DLV. You must build slowly and you must be involved with your family. How functional or dysfunctional your family is, will dictate some/most of your strategy. It's a totally different experience and I recommend it.
    'Twas a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it. WC Fields

Yep, Deus lo Vult is a slow burner - but what an explosion when it goes up! You just can't go mad with rolling over everyone and sacking cities for cash quickly (with the garrison scripts).

I take a while building my economy, trying to get by with the smallest army I can possible have to keep the peace in my settlements. I build forts between settlements so I can move troops while avoiding having them out in the wilds on the end of a game turn (costs money). Shattered militia units with only a few guys make great fort watchmen, costing little with so few. I go out of my way to keep the major nearby factions sweet so they become firm allies (in DLV diplomacy holds a little more). Roads, Farms, Markets, Ports! build 'em like crazy! One of my Strongholds gets to build for war (pick one in a region with Iron) but the rest I try to keep as settlements that raise money. I try to maintain 1 full stack army for national emergencies! I send a few units to smash rebels (use equal force) and often get offers of tough battle-hardened 'Men of the Hour' whom I marry my daughters off to. I also send my diplomat off to Rome to bribe his Popliness with maps, money and affirming eternal alliance with him, etc. I avoid attacking any faction first, preferring to move against the rebel regions. On very very rare occasions I'll wade in against an excommunicated faction if it's tactically worth doing). Eventually, a revolution occurs next door, yes, I've had the Scots go half rebel (just like ol' MTW). Once they weakened enough and lost a province, I had my army ready in a fort on the borders ready to rip! I also have French allies so strong that they had a battle near Paris and a unit I didn't own before appeared there so I could fight in the battle with my allies against their enemy. Never seen that before!

Anyhoo - this is getting boring for you all. I'll get back to my 3.2 massive event picture redo. *cough*

-- Tokus

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

I don't know....DLV seem more Epic. You get to test out the lowest lvl troops and the campaign is tough!!!

chgo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Tokus*Maximus View Post
    I also have French allies so strong that they had a battle near Paris and a unit I didn't own before appeared there so I could fight in the battle with my allies against their enemy. Never seen that before!
    never heard of such a thing. Did you have just one unit or a big army appearing there?
    Peace at home, peace in the world - Atatürk

@Chgo

It was a new knight with his bodyguard that appeared.

I'm up town at the studio so don't have the picture. However, I made a screen shot with the [PrtScr] key and will check it on photoshop when I'm home later today (my game machine is there). I was in a heavy alliance with the French for ages and they never got bothered with my unit on their turf. I quickly moved him north into Caen within a turn though to save the 'outside settlement/fort costs. Yes, never seen this before or after!

-- tokus

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

It sounds intriguing I must say.

By the way, does the map in DLV turn the game into a siege fest by adding too many new provinces in a small space or do you still get to have plenty of field battles?

Lord Finga's Avatar Decanus

since the map is veeery big the distances are still much bigger than in vanilla - i would say around three times bigger.

INVENTOR OF THE SettlementOccupiedScript v08 #4(SOS) for dlv 3.0
    INVENTOR OF THE ChangeCapital v2.04 for dlv 5.2