Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Computer & Hardware Recommendations

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: 'New Computer or Hardware' recommendations

Irishron:

Thanks.

Found some of your comments along these lines on the GTX680 thread - looks like from your comments the extra hardware mostly helps S2 - but the increase for me on clock speed/processors will be from Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz to i7 Quad 4.1GHz overclocked - and that should provide some improvement for MTW2 right? The pipe is only going to be so big, but what goes through it can go much faster.

Your opinion, more or less likely buying brand-new from Dell to have the graphics problems with S2 and MTW2 I'm reading about with the new-new cards.

The one about 7xxx graphics cards sure sells me on going NVDIA - even if I have to drop back to 1G to afford.
    "I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin."

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

The only TW game that will utilize the 2gb card is Shogun2.

No TW game uses more than one core of a cpu.

These are facts that we have to live with. I also made the statement in another member's thread with a computer similar to one you are considering to buy, it's too good for Total War and I will stand behind this statement.

If you are also into 3D modeling, it will use it. I understand Battlefield3 will use it. Possibly Metro 2033. These would make the purchase worthwhile.

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for the input.

Mostly buying for the future and for S2 (bearing in mind what you've said about cores and ANY TW game to date), and before my current computer dies - 2006 vintage. I'm satisfied with my performance now with what I've got otherwise.

Maybe CA will treat us to multiple core usage in their future products - haven't read enough to see if Rome2 will do so.
    "I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin."

I built my present ont in 2009 and most of the parts are 2008 or older.

Good luck with your new system.

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Irishron:

Follow-up question:

What's the likely experience to be with a new system per above and backward compatibility to earlier TW titles - still play original STW - will they even run? Run if adjusted/XP compatibility mode? or not at all.

Asking based on your other post concerning the GTX680 - "the card maybe too new" for even Shogun2.

One thing I like about good old fashion hex wargames - one can still play on original 1977 Squad Leader Maps - even though playing Advanced Squad Leader 35 years later.

AWRA

Axalon is playing S1 or MTW1 on a 68xx so you can on this.

I play Medieval2, RTW, ETW and S2 in XP compayible.

You can play any Total War game on it but just realize there will be limitations inherit with them we have no control. Graphic hogs in epic battles when the framerates drop are the first to complain.

It would take a software developing team to figure out how to send all the data down one core, the graphics data it can't send to the graphics card yet down the second core and have them meet at the cpu output in a way it makes sense to the rest of the computer to keep it from crashing. The initial game engine would be a nightmare to debug until they learned what to look for where.

3D modeling software like Adobe has does it but look at the specs and price tag, too.

Load them up and enjoy them.

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Irishron:

Thanks for all the patience with what are probably very basic questions from your level.

I think what you said on XP was my cue. Happy to hear they can still be played.

Was over on the Eras section to see what folks had to say - makes me want to go back and play original MTW - seeing some of the battle engine comments - better battle AI in old days according to some.

Rome 2 hints at getting at some better performance, but we'll have to see won't we.

AWRA

Yes, we'll have to wait and see.

Hi all! I brand new here, and I've only been playing MTW2 for a few week now. I've played RTW as well. I getting a bit of lag during battles with over 2000 soldiers in MTW2. I was wondering what could I do to make game play less choppy. I have a home built machine after my old one got hit by an electrical storm. Here are my specs. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Processor: AMD Athlon 7850 Duel Core Processor, MMX 3DNOW
    (2 CPU'S) ~2.8GHZ
    Memory:1792 MB RAM
    Page File: 237 MB used 3193 MB availabe
    DirectX version 9.0C (4.09.000.0904)
    Video Card: Nvidi GeForce 7025/Nvidia nForce 630a chip set
    Approx Total memory: 512mb
    Display Mode: 1280x1024

another gig of RAM would help but the graphics chip for this is a piece of crap to be honest. If you have a pcie x 16 slot, you'd nee dto invest in a dedicacted graphics card likemy 9800GT or better and a new power supply for it and then have the cpu bottleneck it. These two games only use one core, everything including the kitchen sink goes through that one core before it gets to your graphics and the reason you can play battles with the chip, and depends on nothing but cpu speed after that.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    another gig of RAM would help but the graphics chip for this is a piece of crap to be honest. If you have a pcie x 16 slot, you'd nee dto invest in a dedicacted graphics card likemy 9800GT or better and a new power supply for it and then have the cpu bottleneck it. These two games only use one core, everything including the kitchen sink goes through that one core before it gets to your graphics and the reason you can play battles with the chip, and depends on nothing but cpu speed after that.
    What type of power supply would work, and what company makes the 9800GT?

9800GT is Nvidia and the closest you will get now is a GTX 550. The 9800GT os over four years old and out of stock as new.

I had to invest in a 650w Antec to hold it. Corsair brand is also good.

I have another question. A couple of post before you said after getting a new graphics card and power supply, to have the CPU bottle neck it. What do you mean by bottle neck it? I have no clue.

2.8GHz is not that fast, my Phenom II will eat it for breakfast at 3GHz as a lot newer chip, and it still bootlenecks the 9800GT, belive it or not.
    One of those things I learned from experience playing the games.

Hi. I have an old computer and I tried to play a Medieval 2 Mod with a sobmod. All ok at campaign map but at battle fps drop like hell.

Configuration is like this:
    AMD Atlon 1,81 Ghz
    3 Gb of RAM
    Video card is old and slow Gygabyte Radeon X600 128 Mb

What is wierd is in fact I played Staineless Steel 3 years ago on this card and it worked, night battles and so on.
    I have installed Europa Barbarorum and it works like a charm.
    All my problems is the video card?. I can improve the situation? Any suggestion is good. Thank you.

Kill Them All, Let God Sort Them Out!

Have you tried a clean install of Stainless Steel?

It was a clean install. I will try again to see how it works, because I format HD and I put a fresh windows XP SP3. So you think the 128 mb video card can handle SS on low settings in battles? Because in campaign run smooth.

If it can play EB2 it can play SS.

If you mean RTW EB your card could be worn out.

If it can play EB2 it can play SS.

If you mean RTW EB your card could be worn out.

EB 2 is not released yet.