Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32843444546474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1084

Thread: Unit proposals

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Unit proposals

yes and while we are at it we can let Hierosolyma build suicide AOR units
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Makuramanche View Post
    neh... why not just have barbarians train dreadnought battleship... ^^
    Because people from northern europe use different ship building techniques.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Because people from northern europe use different ship building techniques.
    +1

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

I say Maccabean AOR units be added to the Hasmonean regions, and I think the Diadochian Kingdoms need an Ekdromoi-like unit (a fast, lightly armored hoplite that was superior in melee to skirmishers that could detach from the main battle line and disrupt said skirmishers).

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    I say Maccabean AOR units be added to the Hasmonean regions, and I think the Diadochian Kingdoms need an Ekdromoi-like unit (a fast, lightly armored hoplite that was superior in melee to skirmishers that could detach from the main battle line and disrupt said skirmishers).
    Maccabean------------------------->wut(Im a pleb)
    Hasmonean ------------------------->wut(Im a duoble pleb)

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Maccabean------------------------->wut(Im a pleb)
    Hasmonean ------------------------->wut(Im a duoble pleb)
    The Hasmonean Dynasty was the Jewish dynasty that resurged after Antiochus IV Epiphanes tried too hard to hellenize Judea after one of his client rulers was deposed and it backfired, causing Judea to reject hellinization and revolt. They retained their independence as a dependant of Seleucia until it was put down by the Romans in ~66 AD.

It's the story of Hannukah

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    The Hasmonean Dynasty was the Jewish dynasty that resurged after Antiochus IV Epiphanes tried too hard to hellenize Judea after one of his client rulers was deposed and it backfired, causing Judea to reject hellinization and revolt. They retained their independence as a dependant of Seleucia until it was put down by the Romans in ~66 AD.

It's the story of Hannukah
    Oh...them.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

Hey guys, I am trying to switch my Greek General from Cavalry mounted units to an Infantry unit, can't figure it out would love some help :/

Laetus

I've posted it somewhere else, but i repeat.
    what about creating an ulfsark unit for germans? it should be like a combination of an ambushing unit and a berserk wich may end at a very devastating force, to avoid players to spam them you could give them in small numbers (40-50 per battalion) and you could made a special building named " sacred cave to Fenris" from where they are recruited, this "cave" should be 4th settlement level or somethig like that

1) Civic Swordsmen
    2) Carthage
    3) Early to mid-game
    4) Regular
    5) Similar armor to that of the civic infantry, but with the Falcata equipped as a weapon.
    6) Can be recruited from all Carthaginian settlements.
    7) The most major historical reference could be the fact that Roman shields had to be modified to survive the strength of the Falcata
    8) It bugs me that in the vanilla, the Iberian infantry were basically weak pissants with really low attack. As deadly as the gladius is, the Falcata is deadlier. The fact that Carthage has no real swordsmen that can be recruited anywhere (outside of Iberia) saddens me as well.

1) Civic Legions
    2) Carthage
    3) After the Marian reforms. Should replace Civic Swordsmen.
    4) Middling: I.E between elite and normal.
    5) Similar equipment to that of low tier roman legionnaires,(using javelins instead of Pilae) but with Carthaginian influences, Falcata, and Hoplite shield.
    6) Can be recruited anywhere
    7) There are no historical references to this since Carthage was pretty much gone by this time, if I'm correct.
    8) This is just basically an extension to the previous listing. I figured that it might behoove Carthage to keep up with the times and since they are a hugely trade-based faction, that they could find the resources and knowledge to replicate a good idea in their own fashion.

1) Sacred Band Swordsmen
    2) Carthage
    3) "Early" to Marian reforms.
    4) Elite
    5) Same armor as the standard Sacred Band, but with a Falcata equipped in place of spear.
    6) Anywhere
    7) No references that I can think of, but since swords of almost every type were expensive in old days, they would be relegated for the elite soldiers to use. Hence, this.
    8) another niche that Carthage needs to fill, elite swordsmen. Swordsmen beat spearmen, spearmen beat cavalry, etc, etc.

1) Sacred Band Legion
    2) Carthage
    3) After Marian reforms, replaces Sacred Band Swordsmen
    4) Obviously elite
    5) Combination of the heaviest greek armor and Roman legion armor, but forgoing the standard Falcata with a roman Spatha. Or not. Stick with whatever seems right. Pilae or javelin is also a creator's choice.
    6) Anywhere.
    7) Again, no references to this type of soldier ever existing EVAR, but I'd like to see it, at least to balance out the lack of elite infantry for Carthage.
    8) This is mainly to compete with the Romans that the player mistakenly left alive and needs a unit that can actually go on par with the Praetorans for more than two seconds. Jesus those guys are strong... Not as much as the Spartan Royal guard, but Jesus titwanking Christ!

Those are my suggestions. Just thinking.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Afraid they are not exactly historically accurate...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

1) Libyan Swordsmen/Liby-Phoenician Infantry
    2) Carthage
    3) mid game
    4) Regular
    5) Something between the Libyan heavies armour and chainmail. Sword (Falcata or Gladius) and a large oval shield.
    6) Can be recruited from all Carthaginian African settlements.
    7) http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0...rthage&f=false
    8) The above source indicates that the Libyans may well have fielded swordsmen by the time of the second Punic war and this would fill a hole in the Carthaginian roster nicely.

Would also be nice to see the Liby-Phoenician Pikemen from various other mods (xc for one) added. Light pre reforms and heavy post reforms.

in the next version mabye there should be a lot of units imported from XC because XC has a lot of good and historical units.
    Last edited by AugustusCaeser; March 08, 2012 at 09:01 AM.

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    Afraid they are not exactly historically accurate...
    You have to go beyond what there is actual archaeological evidence for imho. It's a game, and there has to be an element of "what-if".

If Carthage managed to stand up to Rome and survive for longer, there is no reason they shouldn't try to evolve their own citizens army.

This is also my argument for an elite phalangist for Bactria The factions that historically didn't manage so well, are a bit lacking.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Carthage did manage to survive quite a bit and they did evolve their own citizen army on the eve of the 3rd punic war.
    The result was a moderately well equipped levy phalanx and troops in the iphicratean style armed with sword and spear plus the usual civic cavalry.
    While a good army for a city-state it was far from enough although they did manage to hold the might of a much bigger power for 3 years before falling.

As for Baktria, given their historic neighbors their evolution pointed out towards a more and more cavalry oriented army as a phalanx is of little use against nomads.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Sorry for my late reply.

Again you have to consider that Bactria might grow beyond their historical borders/challenges. Elite phalangites would be very useful if facing the seleucid heartlands or the ptolemies/greeks. You could make the recruitment of these troops dependent on the marian reform or ownership of Seleucia or what ever, but as I've said before it's just too limiting to confine yourselves to what was actually present historically - especially for cultures that didn't survive or develop so well.

The greek style carthage troops don't seem to be present in the game or is that the light civic infantry with xp-boost? Maybe an addition of these heavy skirmisher/light inf troops would fit nicely?

Hm, is this still active?

Just thinking...bow/sling units seem a bit..bland. There's little difference between various types, mostly they have different melee abilities, and those are usually unimportant. Almost all foot bow units got 7 missile attack, from common archers to Cretans and persian archers. What about some variation? Also, a point or two across the board in attack for 2 HP option wouldn't be bad, to balance it out a little.

And slingers, why do they all have armor piercing tag? A stone isn't exactly AP ammo. This tag should be reserved only for Kestros, Gastraphetes (those weapons were designed against armor), and maybe some elite slingers.

And finally...a little love for direct fire artillery? Just a bit...maybe, if possible, 3 launchers for ballistas/repeaters, 4 for scorpions.

Overall...the mod balance IMO drift toward infantry, a little love to combined arms wouldn't be bad.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

I would love to see these units in game :