Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Default Re: Unit proposals

ah ok unlucky on the musicians, but any additions planned troop wise for Parthia?

although it is fun having thousands of horse archers run rampant around a city killing everything, it lacks much challenge

Nice units there! However do you think that you could use the linothorax armour like in XGM Diadochi as this would make the unit look even better.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Dom9127: A linothorax might look nice but it would also put the Thureophoroi in the same weight class as the Thorakitai. It was, after all, the type of armour worn by classical hoplites, which were heavy infantry. Thureophoroi are supposed to be light, fast, and cheap.

Spartan Guard Itachi: Parthia and Scythia won't be getting any infantry units, but I'm open to suggestions for new cavalry units.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo
    ...there is no other way to show how greatfull we are, unless you come to Bulgaria and get drowned in thracian wine.
    Maybe you can send me a crate.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; March 26, 2008 at 09:10 AM.

A linothorax might look nice but it would also put the Thureophoroi in the same weight class as the Thorakitai
    However other mods seem to have there Thureopheroi equipped with this :hmmm:

DBH -

In the same vein as your Neuragic Warriors (gorgeous, btw), I propose adding a couple extra units to specific AOR's/ Regions.

1. Phrygian Mercenaries - Easy port from Alex, plus they add something missing in Anatolia to the Greek factions - An infantry unit with axes. This would definitely be historical - Phrygian mercs were the originators of the cult of Mithras, according to some sources. Plus, they are cool!

2. A Basque unit in Iruna (Plus, labeling the owners of the rebel town there "Vascones") As mountain/indigenous people with a good knowledge of armor, this could be a heavily armored spear unit (EB has some ridiculously long name that amounts to "Basque Heavy Spearmen") I think that the Iberian peninsula could profit from this - maybe even do a similar thing as Galatia and do a triple tier system, with Basque swordsmen (the gladius originates with the Basques, Basque Heavy Spearmen, and one other unit (your call).)

Let me know what you think - I would be glad to find pictures/drawings for you.

Parthia new cavalry unit.

Historic background: Battle where Crassus get annihilated the Romans tried to wait for the Parthians to run out of arrows, only to their dismay notice large contingents of camels carrying huge bundles of arrows sitting behind and constantly restocking the Parthian horse archers.

So maybe cames carrying arrows that can refill their supply?
    No idea if its possible but it could be kool and its cavalry i guess

Also at the same battle, the surviving Roman troops noted seeing elaborate "shinning" banners, which inspired the silk road. These banners were of course made from silk.

So maybe a small unit that all spread out like a druids was and carrying a fancy "silk" banner, has the effect the Roman eagle would or less, but still fits in the theme i believe.

Ill do some more study and see if I can come up with any other ideas.

For reference of your own I am quite sure the book was by Plutarch, ill go check it out again, if you need to.

is every1 allowed 2 post their ideas?
    (cuz i have 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Reloader-1 View Post
    DBH -

In the same vein as your Neuragic Warriors (gorgeous, btw), I propose adding a couple extra units to specific AOR's/ Regions.

1. Phrygian Mercenaries - Easy port from Alex, plus they add something missing in Anatolia to the Greek factions - An infantry unit with axes. This would definitely be historical - Phrygian mercs were the originators of the cult of Mithras, according to some sources. Plus, they are cool!

2. A Basque unit in Iruna (Plus, labeling the owners of the rebel town there "Vascones") As mountain/indigenous people with a good knowledge of armor, this could be a heavily armored spear unit (EB has some ridiculously long name that amounts to "Basque Heavy Spearmen") I think that the Iberian peninsula could profit from this - maybe even do a similar thing as Galatia and do a triple tier system, with Basque swordsmen (the gladius originates with the Basques, Basque Heavy Spearmen, and one other unit (your call).)

Let me know what you think - I would be glad to find pictures/drawings for you.
    Good ideas Reloader - many people have said that Iberia needs more variety and these sound like units with some historical justification.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Quote Originally Posted by atraps View Post
    is every1 allowed 2 post their ideas?
    (cuz i have 1)
    absolutely...post away!
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

These are the final versions of the new models, skins, and Kestros Slingers. They should be available to play with in a day or so. I still need to make some sprites.

Spartan Guard Itachi: The resupply unit is not possible (not without scripting anyway).

Reloader-1: Basque units sound interesting. If you do find some good images, please post them.

Dom9127: Historically some Thureophoroi probably did wear heavier armour, so it wouldn't necessarily be incorrect, it just wouldn't fit into the XGM scheme of things. That type of unit is already represented by the Thorakitai.

ok i have a idea

since the SRG unit takes 30 turns 2 recruit, why dont we make it more powerful (after all historically the spartans were very powerful)

here is is my idea

-give them 5 hp instead of 2
    -give them 22 attack instead of 12
    -give them a secondary sword weapon, so they dont get a penalty when fighting infantry (attack and charge same as the spear)
    -make their recruitment cost 11000 instead of 8000
    -make their upkeep cost 920 instead of 520
    -and on the weapons and armour upgrade cost u guys can decide

wat do u guys think?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

The royal guard is already overpowered in respect to its historical counterpart, they were though but not unbeatable walking tanks.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I think what your suggesting would make them the Classical equivalent of an M1 Abrams tank.

Edit: Bah!! Beatin to it. Damn qwerty keyboard.
    Last edited by Lysander13; March 28, 2008 at 02:58 PM.

Primicerius

Yeah, historically they weren't even that 'elite' at this point in time, Sparta was qutie poor and not very powerful, and this was reflected in their soldiers... But I still love the ahistorical SRG, if just for 300...

yes i understand

but right now the SRG is never recruited by players
    the stats of the SRG just isnt worth 30 turns (but i dont want 2 change the recruit time for them cuz i agree with it)

for 30 turns u should get a much better unit then wat the SRG is right now

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

The 30 turns is meant as a deterrent only...to kind of keep the player or AI from spamming them.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Yeah, even then I recruited a second unit only so I could get almost "300" SRG soldiers.

This is not finished yet, but it's a new model that I'm planning to use for Mercenary Hoplites, and maybe some other units.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

That looks heavy, it would bring hoplites in the same armour class as thorakitai...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Very nice Hoplite, Dime.