Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Default Re: Unit proposals

I have some questions on jewish units.

How could vanilla made judeans zealots spawns as rebel in Judea only?

I also want to suggest for have some jewish special units like skirmisher(which Pontus and Ptolemios use in history and appear in EB) or slinger(like David's legend in old testament) since their zealot won't join the fight for foreigner for sure.

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Historically speaking I think the Jewish Rebels in Judea represent that famous Maccabean revolt, not just any revolt in that area. There were also large Jewish communities in the big cities like Antioch, Alexandria, and Babylon, but those cities were relatively stable in the Hellenistic Era.

About The Maccabees
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabees

About the history of the Jews in Antioch and Alexandria:
    http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/vi...=1586&letter=A
    http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/vi...=1171&letter=A

Luc.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Thanks for enlighten me, Lucretius TC.

Camel Units - presumably these guys are less effective than horses against infantry, but come into their own against cavalry (scare horses). This being the case does this mean they have to go 'hand to hand' with cavalry to get the benefit?

I assume this, and don't recruit Saba camel archers for this reason - might as well use the more effective Chariot Archers. But as Saba should be the big 'camel faction' could they have either a melee camel unit instead or perhaps a javelin/sword, javelin/mace unit - so at least they would get a bit closer to enemy cavalry?

Well the camel units could just have frigthen cavalry/mount as one of their attributes.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Hurlbut/Hippias: I believe camel units do have that attribute.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Hurlbut/Hippias: I believe camel units do have that attribute.
    Does it work though if the camels are skirmishing as archers i.e. do you get the "scare the crap out of enemy horses" effect just by being anywhere on the filed of battle?

If you do then I shall start recruiting them again but, what the hell, what about another camel unit for the Sabeans anyway - same net purpose as the Cataphract Camel, but obviously much lighter armour in deference to the 50 degree heat you get out there!

Dunno what the scare radius is, I just thought it was like Elephant's scare.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

I think you have to be within hand-to-hand combat/charging range for the scare effect to work.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    I think you have to be within hand-to-hand combat/charging range for the scare effect to work.
    "Ahmed - cancel that order for two hundred extra smelly camels"

Elephants cause fear by proximity though

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Elephants cause fear by proximity though
    There's definitely a range around the unit, I have a feeling the scare/inspire ranges are the same which is generally the charging distance of the unit.
    i.e., the distance that a unit begins to charge/run after one clicking the enemy unit that is being attacked.
    I hope that makes sense.
    I've done a bit of work on the Command Attribute with my XGM SubMod. The Command Attribute gives a unit the ability to "inspire" nearby friendly units, so they won't route as easily.
    When giving the SRG the Command attribute, you can hold them in reserve and send them in at critical points in the battle to either hold your own line or break the enemies line.
    The same can be said about the "scare" attribute.
    Last edited by Balikedes; February 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

why the seleusids heavy peltasts called spearmen ? ( i think thoureophoroi is their name )

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

That's because thureophoroi were a very common medium infantry at the time and definitely more useful than heavy peltasts.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

1) Spartan Hoplite
    2) Greek City States
    3) Almost the entire history of Lycourgan Sparta
    4) Regular
    5) Pretty much the same as the Spartan Royal Guard but not as elite.
    6) The Peloponese
    7) Herodotus
    8) Technically in an army of about 15,000 men only 300 were members of the Royal Guard or Hippeis, and all the rest would not have all been Phalangists, Greeks in general were very conservative and Spartans especially.

Um... that unit is already in the game.

PP13: Sparta converted to the Pike circa 168 B.C. and was one of the last Greek states to do so - acording to the W.R.G. (wargames research group DBM Army Lists Book 2)

All of the other Greek City states adopted the pike prior to this i.e between 265 - 168 B.C. (same source).

I am currently playing the 4th version for Baktrians (where they are comletely the same as the Seleucids).
    After capturing Suza I understood that Seleucids and Macedonians seriously lack a good skirmisher infantry- for that and not only that the AI Macedonians didn't stand long against Greeks and decided to add and modificate some units from Alexander

1)Agema Javelinmen- recruitable by Macedonians and Seleucids- model Agrianian Javelinmen- are no copies from Heavy Peltasts or Krypteia- they are weak against missiles (9 points of total defence) but have a slightly longer throwing distance and are deadly against any "tanking" heavy spearmen in hand-to-hand combat for the following reason- as we can see, they are armed with Kopis- ancestor of modern Khukri- that was described by Roman conquerors in Macedonia as "able to pierce a helmet" because of its distribution of weight and heavy weight itself -still the min delay between attacks has to be longer too
    it's like

stat_sec 9, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr ap

2) Phrygian Mercenaries
    An AOR unit recruitable in Phrygia. Added first of all to make Pontus be able to defend against Greeks. The only modification I've made from Alexander is changing number of soldiers from 40 to 20 and giving them 2HP. Still they don't break the ballance- levy phalangists kill them easily

3)Elephant armor. I decreased the armor of War Elephants and increased the armor of Armoured Elephants. These plates seem to weight several tons and can't improve armor so slightly. I didn't change the armor points for Indian Elephants for they are really better equipped than War Elephants
    Last edited by X_X; March 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Unit Name: Elite African Infantry
    Faction: Carthage
    Appeared: After Hannibal's victories of Rome's Legions he equipped his
    Libyan Infantry with Roman armor and Weapons.
    Equipment: Iberian short swords, carry Iberian Scuta, and wear Roman mail armor with greaves, bracers, and roman shields
    Historical Area: Libyan Infantry after the Battles of Trebia, Trasimene and used at great Brilliancy at Cannae.
    Historical Source: EB

Maybe with a hint of Carthaginian culture. I love this drawing by Johnny Shumate, and I think it would be good for an Elite African Warrior

http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpos.../original.aspx
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.