Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Unit proposals

Swordsmen would be good, only thing you should replace that white shirt with something resembling leather as right now they look a bit too civilized while they got described as eo quod qui ea induuntur, quasi in ferarum habitum transformentur
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Hmm horned helmets - are they not impractical to wear when fighting?

Or are we going for the romantic viking look?

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Unknown Soldier: I doubt if the horns would have caused much trouble - after all the Greeks wore some pretty outlandish stuff on their heads and they seemed to manage OK.

Hippias: I'm planning to make them recruitable in Sardinia and Corsica. The name "Neuragic" doesn't really fit Corsica, but it's still better than the current generic Barbarian units.

Cool

While you are on line chief, throw this sad old Celt a bone - is the next release going to be days, weeks or months and will it likely be save game compatible?

I'll probably have something finished this week, and it should be saved-game compatible.

Thanks Dime

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

New version sounds great. lots of new aor units i hope...

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    Unknown Soldier: I doubt if the horns would have caused much trouble - after all the Greeks wore some pretty outlandish stuff on their heads and they seemed to manage OK.

Hippias: I'm planning to make them recruitable in Sardinia and Corsica. The name "Neuragic" doesn't really fit Corsica, but it's still better than the current generic Barbarian units.
    Nuragic isn't totally incorrect for Corsica either, they shared some tribal groups after all...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

it's still better than the current generic Barbarian units.
    Amen to that, it feels like kind of a waste to build the Aux barracks when all you get is barb warband and cav.
    Will there then be any changes to the cavalry units on the islands?
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Balikedes: There won't be any cavalry units recruitable there, and there probably won't be any third level unit.

Kara Kolyo: There will be *some* new units.

Any chance of EBization on some roster?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Hi all..

Quote from wiki;

A kestros or kestrophedrone, also known as a cestrus or cestrosphendone, is a specially designed sling that is used to throw a heavy kind of dart.

The dart would typically consist of a heavy metal point approximately nine inches (22.9 cm) long, attached to a shaft of wood, typically twelve inches (30.5 cm) long, and fletched with feathers or the like to provide stability of flight.

[edit]
    The kestros is mentioned in the writings of Livy and Polybius. It seems to have been invented around 168 BC. and was employed by some of the Macedonian troops of King Perseus in Third Macedonian war. The description is quite confusing:

The so-called cestrus was a novel invention at the time of the war with Perseus. The form of the missile was as follows. It was two cubits long, the tube being of the same length as the point. Into the former was fitted a wooden shaft a span in length and a finger's breadth in thickness, and to the middle of this were firmly attached three quite short wing-shaped sticks. The thongs of the sling from which the missile was discharged were of unequal length, and it was so inserted into the loop between them that it was easily freed. There it remained fixed while the thongs were whirled round and taut, but when at the moment of discharge one of the thongs was loosened, it left the loop and was shot like a leaden bullet from the sling, and striking with great force inflicted severe injury on those who were hit by it. [1]

The exact construction of the Kestrosphendone remains somewhat mysterious. However, experimental reconstructions based on the available information have resulted in quite spectacular results. None the less, the Kestrosphendone did not stand the test of time and seems to have been abandoned quite quickly. The fundamental purpose of this weapon seems to have been to develop a sling shot with the penetrative power of a point. If so then a lighter version of this weapon, the plumbatae, persisted into late antiquity. In this weapon the wooden shaft gave nearly the same mechanical advantage as a sling. In effect each sling bolt came with a one time sling.

Another way of obtaining a one time sling was to fix a string to a slingstone made of lead. There is evidence for this variation at the Battle of Fucine Lake in 89 BC.
    How about adding Kestros for Macedon..? I think RTR did it..

Video of a Kestros. Looks like a good idea to me - maybe as a post Marius unit.

Video of a Kestros. Looks like a good idea to me - maybe as a post Marius unit.
    Good video..

I had never figure out how to put dart into a sling.. I will try it..

And glad to hear you like it..

Dime - congratulations on the new Nuragic units - although they are nothing too different all these little extras improve the mod. In the spirit of the mini (1 or 2 province) AOR's, what about the following as well:

Belgic - mix of celtic and german AOR in Samorabriva and the neighbouring province

Ligurian - tribesmen armed with the pennato (a sickle or one handed falx) in Liguria and Transalpine Gaul

Getai - the old scythian axeman and something else, where the scythian steppes meets the german forests

Cheers

I was thinking it would be neat to have the Cilician pirates recruitable from ports (only in Cilicia and Side of course), since they are pirates and all, this could also apply to Merchant Marines, though they would need to be from the third level port.

Whatever happened to that Aussie guy - did a sub-mod on Illyrians and some other handsome skins - can't recall his name, but I remember his skins looked mighty usable (Celtic Hoplites???). His stuff could be ready made AOR if he was cool with it.

Primicerius

Ferrus? Yeah, that would be cool. I used his sub-mod for a bit until I was a few versions behind and it was great. Making an Illyria AOR region would be great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Ferrus? Yeah, that would be cool. I used his sub-mod for a bit until I was a few versions behind and it was great. Making an Illyria AOR region would be great, too.
    FERRUS - that was the guy!! His Celto-Hellenic hoplites would be a great 2/3 level AOR in "Greater Liguria"

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Yeah get ferrus' work and do AOR for East Adriatic Coast.

lvl - 1 - Light javelin men
    lvl - 2 - Current Theurophoroi (sp)
    lvl - 3 - Illyrian Thorikitai

Currently there is no point in building a 2/3 lvl Aux Baracks there.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm: