Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Default Re: Unit proposals

Dime i was thinking that a Draco standart would be a great addition for the new parthian companions. Also if they are to keep the swords can you make them longer?

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

I managed to squeeze an axe into the Companion/Cappadocian skins:

Looks good! Now you only have to get rid of the ugly bright purple

Looking good. Purple could be a little darker. But still, keep the vanilla look.

I say ditch the purple all together or at least get rid of the neon-purple color .

And maybe make the shield straight wood or something .

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo View Post
    I have 2 proposals for Thrace.
    1 - Getai archers - long range elite archers good mellee ability
    mail armor, thracian helm. celtic long sword.(they could use romphaia, but besides this weapon, the thracians used many other types, so to have a change)
    2 Besoi nobles. the besoi were famous for their skill with the romphaia, but not to have redundancy with the thoracitai, i propose to make them phalanx uit.
    short pikes, secondary weapon romphaia, bronze cuirass, maybe some other kind of helmet like corinthian. - to represent that in the province the military novelties came later to the province
    i particularly like the Getai archer idea - it's been a while since I have played the Thracians but shouldn't the Bastarnae/Dacian Falxman just wear trousers and a skull cap, like the Vanilla version or the old Scythian Axeman skin. I seem to remember that the only recruitable 'falxman' was that guy with no shirt but a thracian helmet, who seemed a bit out of place.

I'm not sure what thread to post this question. But I was wondering how the plan to reskin the Ptolemies was coming along?

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by chris1974 View Post
    I'm not sure what thread to post this question. But I was wondering how the plan to reskin the Ptolemies was coming along?
    Well, Im done with the actual skinning, now Im just making unit cards. But sadly until mid december, my time is at a premium. Hopefully I can have all the polish done and in DBH's hands in a week or two, hopefully with a few other projects of mine that have been sidelined.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Thanks for the response Maraxus. You do great work and I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    After EB published 1.0 with an hugely extended unit list here is my wishlist by faction (will point images from EB website):

Gauls:
    Barbarian infantry could be renamed celtic warband and given a thureos

Seleucids:
    Lonchophoroi as lvl 3 cavalry

Hypaspists as pre-marian elite infantry

Baktria:
    Replace the companions with kataphract companions

GCS:
    A bit of revolution here wouldn't hurt
    lvl2: ekdromoi hoplites instead of levy phalanx (light hoplites)

lvl3: iphicratean hoplites instead of phalanx (thureos shorter pike phalanx, could use the current model just changing the shield)

lvl4: phalangites (to reflect GCS later adoption of macedonian phalanx), armoured iphicratean hoplites (could use thorakitai model, iphicratean hoplites were better in CQB than phalangites)

lvl5: armoured phalangites

Macedonia:

Reformed phalangites (post marian armoured phalangites, replaces the standard ones)

Parthia:
    Elite cataphracts

Ptolemies:
    Basilikon agema should be an heavy iphicratean hoplite

Roman:
    Antesignani (post marius)

German:
    Germanic spearmen (basically spear warband with a square shield or alternatively with the same as galatian swordsmen, can do shieldwall)

Late germanic spearmen (version of the former with shorter pike phalanx, post marius

AOR:
    Celto-Hellenic hoplites (Massilia, Emporion, sword/spear infantry)

Bosphoran Thureophoroi (lvl3, better armoured thureophoroi with a bow, recruitable around black sea)

Tarentine cavalry (similar to eastern heavies, recruitable in south italy)

Campanian Cavalry (heavy cavalry, recruitable in capua)

Thessalian cavalry (heavy cavalry)

Numidian nobles (similar to eastern heavies, recruitable in numidia)

Machimoi (medium swordmen, recruitable in egypt)

Galatian nobles (armoured spearmen)

will finish the list later, damn boss wants to talk to me lol
    Are there any plans to include these units? Especially the Bosphorian Archers would make the northern Black sea regions a lucrative position to conquer. Lonchoporoi should not be restricted to only Seleucids, as they were used by every Hellenic power (perhaps even Pontus)

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit http://www.HellenicGenocide.org

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Da Erobara: Some of them are quite likely to get done - Antesignani, Celto-Hellenic hoplites, and Tarentine cavalry, are all pretty high on the to-do list.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Hey just a thought should Iberian cavalry have the hide/ambush ability as I read somewhere that the horses were trained to be silent and to lie down without a man lying across their necks. Infact all Iberian units should have enhanced hide/ambush traits.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

i propose adding a stronger hypaspist-style unit to the GCS. they, of course, get the Sacred Band, the superior version of the regular hoplites, but while the Seleucids get the Argyraspid legionnaires and the Macedonians get the Agema hypaspists, GCS only stays with regular hypaspists? consider this, please.

Quote Originally Posted by WaynehMarls View Post
    i propose adding a stronger hypaspist-style unit to the GCS. they, of course, get the Sacred Band, the superior version of the regular hoplites, but while the Seleucids get the Argyraspid legionnaires and the Macedonians get the Agema hypaspists, GCS only stays with regular hypaspists? consider this, please.
    I think they only have regular Hypaspists because it's already ahistorical enough that they have any Hypaspists at all, Hypaspists were the royal guard of the Makedonian and Successor kings, and there is no account that Greek Poleis ever fielded a comparable unit.

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit http://www.HellenicGenocide.org

Quote Originally Posted by Da Erobara View Post
    I think they only have regular Hypaspists because it's already ahistorical enough that they have any Hypaspists at all, Hypaspists were the royal guard of the Makedonian and Successor kings, and there is no account that Greek Poleis ever fielded a comparable unit.
    if what you say is true then realism matters not if they already have hypaspist, so why not a slightly better version?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Because then macedonia would loose its unique agema hypaspists...
    What's wrong with using sacred band as assault infantry?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Because then macedonia would loose its unique agema hypaspists...
    What's wrong with using sacred band as assault infantry?
    i dont mean necessarily giving GCS the same macedonian hypaspists, could be something different.

they're awesome but use spears so while they gain bonuses against cavalry they leave a bit to be desired when fighting other infantry. i use two kinds of mobile non-phalanx melee infantry, the hypaspists and the sacred band/hoplites on each wing and i move them around depending on what the enemy is sending and where it is sending it.

when facing things such as rome's post-marius legionnaires and seleucid's argyraspid legionnaires, the regular GCS hypaspists come out short.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Well, GCS are supposed to be quite conservative so no surprises.
    We might think about putting some mercs that could be useful for them but no regular units...
    Tip: you should find some quite useful units around thrace if you want something nasty against armoured inf...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Well, GCS are supposed to be quite conservative so no surprises.
    We might think about putting some mercs that could be useful for them but no regular units...
    Tip: you should find some quite useful units around thrace if you want something nasty against armoured inf...

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

What about AOR hoplites for the major cities. For example...

-Sparta (already done)
    -Athens (armored in farily up to date gear, attic helm, linthorax)
    -Corinth (armored conservativley, muscle curaiss, corinthian helm)
    -Thebes (don't know about armor, but boetian helm)
    -Cretian (muscled curaiss and corth. helm
    -Cypros (I have no idea)
    -Rhodes (linthorax, don't about the helmet, but the kind triarri have would be nice)
    -Ephesus (same as rhodes)
    -Byzantium (don't know)
    -Bosphoran (scythian style helmet, scale mail to show samartian.scythian influences
    -Tarentine (etruscan helm and linthorax armor)
    -Syracusian (don't know much about thier gear, but should show italic and carthaginian influence.
    -Massillian (the EB model would work well, but perhaps chain instead of leather as weren't the averni famous for thier smithing?)

Or alternativley, doing hoplites by region...

classical-keep the standard non phalanx hoplites and have them recruitable only in areas where they were used (i.e. pelloponessus (sp?), crete, halicarnassos)

Iphakratean-recruitable in the more modern cities like rhodes, athens, and in macedonia/epirus

Italic-recruitable in Italy and Sicily

Bosphoran-recruitable in the bosphorus

Celto-Hellenic-recruitable in gaul and parts of Asia Minor and northern italy (cisalpine gaul)

Successor-A variant for successor kingdoms (Macedonia, Epirus, Egypt, Seleucids)

Eastern-An Armenian/Pontic/Parthian variant showing eastern adaptation to the greek ways of fighting. I beleive the Achaemenids(sp?) did this in the wars with alexander.

Barbarian-could be recruited in conquered barbarian regions. Could be further broken down into Getic, Illyrian, etc.
    Last edited by icydawgfish; November 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."