Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Unit proposals

I just hope DBH will take any of the suggestions in consideration, there is not much lacking in terms of units from XGM but those few additions would make the game much more interesting imho
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I thought the Sacred Band was a select group of 300. Extremely fierce like the Spartans(although at a time when Sparta was crumbling) and their only difference was that the Sacred Band warriors were allowed to fight next to their male lovers.

The concept of "sacred band" was quite common in hellenistic time.
    IIRC at Pydna the elite macedonian cavalry was also called Sacred Squadron.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Paul Cartledge talks about a specific elite group in his book," The Spartans: The World of the Warrior-Heroes of Ancient Greece." I just finished it.

Supposedly the "hoplite force of 300, consisting of 150 homosexual couples, known as the Sacred Band," was innovated by Epaminondas and Pelopidas.

"The Sacred Band was to be the Boetians' principal strike force over the next decade..."

Both quotes are from page 225(incase anyone has the book).
    That's the specific Sacred Band i was speaking of.

That would be the theban sacred band, which was annihilated by Alexander.

Our sacred band is more or less the equivalent of the EB picked hoplites (epileptikoi?), something a bit different.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Well we could make the current Sacred Band the Theban Sacred Band and then make those Picked Hoplites more recruitable throughout Greece.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    Well we could make the current Sacred Band the Theban Sacred Band and then make those Picked Hoplites more recruitable throughout Greece.
    I like this idea but, I have always been a fan of having some city specific hoplites....
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

"I like this idea but, I have always been a fan of having some city specific hoplites..."

I completely agree with you. But it is a fairly large undertaking that doesn't seem to have much steam around here for some reason.

I'd love city-specific hoplites but they would be a pain to do. Maybe only city-specific hoplites for key cities? Like Athens, Cornith, etc... would that be easier?

What can I say, I love hoplites! And I dislike how we only have Elite hoplites (Spartan Royal Guard, Sacred Band) or mercs for the GCS. I'd like to see a mid-level single turn recruitment hoplite unit for the GCS.
    Last edited by Fighting69th; October 19, 2007 at 04:31 PM.

Yeah, that's why i liked a couple of the hoplites Zarax announced.

"Like Athens, Cornith, etc... would that be easier?"

Yeah that's what i had in mind.

Actually the idea was to just make the sacred band recruitable in every greek city with the proper colony level...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Here's a shot of the Parthian Companions that will be added in the next version. They are similar to Cataphracts but they carry shields and swords instead of maces.While I was at it I made some other minor changes to eastern cavalry units - longer lances for Cataphracts, and proper swords for s couple of units that just had daggers.

City specific Hoplites are still a possibility, but in the past people have generally found them a pain to manage (very early versions of XGM had a bunch of city specific units). I'm more inclined to add regional Hoplite types.

DimeBagho: I'd love to see more hoplites of any type. I'd prefer to see city specific, but I understand some people don't like the micromanaging it brings. I feel city-specific hoplites would bring a little more "personality" if you will to GCS armies.

BTW: Those Companions look great!

Dime - any teasers for what else is going to be in the next version?

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    Here's a shot of the Parthian Companions that will be added in the next version. They are similar to Cataphracts but they carry shields and swords instead of maces.While I was at it I made some other minor changes to eastern cavalry units - longer lances for Cataphracts, and proper swords for s couple of units that just had daggers.

City specific Hoplites are still a possibility, but in the past people have generally found them a pain to manage (very early versions of XGM had a bunch of city specific units). I'm more inclined to add regional Hoplite types.
    Nice unit but why swords?
    Maces were the kataphract trademark for parthians, while the hellenic ones used swords...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

maces or axes. the parthians used a curved one handed axe. There are very nice examples of ceremonial parthian axes. maybe the barcanian cavalry axe from Alex could be used? Otherwise it's quite nice

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Different between sword cavalry and axe cavalry will reveal itself most when Fight against heavy armour units especially heavy infantry. Kataphract with axe or mace will tear down heavy armour unit more easily especially romans' legion and made player repeat what happened in Carrhae more easily while greek sword cavalry couldn't done this as effective. So I vote for axe and mace heavy cavalry rather than sword heavy cavalry for Parthia.
    Last edited by Suppanut; October 24, 2007 at 09:24 AM.

"City specific Hoplites are still a possibility, but in the past people have generally found them a pain to manage (very early versions of XGM had a bunch of city specific units). I'm more inclined to add regional Hoplite types."

I think that's a good idea.

I'm the same way . I'd rather see regional hoplites (example in Massalia and Emporion you'd have Celto-Hellenic hoplites to represent Greeks fighting with Celtic equipment or Celts fighting in Hellenic style .)

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Regional hoplites is also a good idea, their use is possibly more flexible. They can be used as regional AORs or part of an auxiliary barracks or something of that sort.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff