Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Default Re: Unit proposals

"The spartan were good soldiers, not super soldiers, and their numbers were few to begin with... ah but to conquer the world with spartans =) "

That's why i suggested replacing for example the Krypteia, since that had been mentioned before. That way, your not gaining any Spartan units. And i thought the idea of using the Spartan Phalanghite unit as a type of Marius reforms unit sounded like a good way to mix up the game a little bit.

And i think giving more exclusive units around Greece sounds like a really good idea. That way you can have basic units that aren't as good but can be trained elsewhere, and you ahve your main guys that need to be brought back to be retrained.

1)Germanic Lancemen

2) AOR or faction

3) no idea

4) semi-elite due to being trained to wield a freaking heavy lance
    5) heavy shield , armor , no idea really . EB has them with none but realistically they could have up to chain .
    6) Germany
    7) Eb roster http://www.europabarbarorum.com/fact...boz_units.html
    8) This might be the one you would have to borrow cause they have a unique set up that has there lance being held two handed .

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

brandbll: hmmm, yea never did bothered with the krypteia before, dunno about the others but if no one else is using it, then its probably a waste of a unit slot. As for regional hoplites, I would like to see city specific hoplites with region specific skill though that would be interesting playing with their stats that way no two hoplite units are the same =) That way a greek army can no longer merge amongst themselves after a battle and would fight on in ever decreasing bands which would be cool in a long journey of conquest. That way when their numbers are too small and ineffective to be useful on the battlefield, they can be placed in far off cities in garrisons or disband there to show resettlement.

Scannerfish: That model (looks like the german axemen was used as a base model) has probably the two handed animation placed on it and the shield and spear can be replaced in 3dsmax.
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Getting rid of the Krypteia and replacing them with another unit to recruit out of Sparta like let's say umm...... The ATG Vertical Plume Spartan sounds like a good idea to me. That way it's not really adding another "Spartan" unit; it would just be replacing a unit that frankly probably shouldn't be there or at least called the Krypteia anyway. As of course the Krypteia was not a military unit persay. I understand some would say well there weren't that many Spartiate around at this time so why shoud Sparta be given another unit of Spartiate to recruit? Well, i've always played XGM ( i have an older version than the current one ) with the understanding that it was based more on fun gameplay and " what if " factors for the greek factions more so than attempting to be historically accurate. ( within reason of course ) That said i think it would be kind of cool to add The ATG Vertical Plume Spartan to go along with the other 2 ATG Spartans. Not to mention The ATG VP Spartan is modeled as an overhand hoplite fighter with a sword as a secondary weapon. Watching these guys charge in with their swords drawn is pretty damn cool for those who've never seen these guys in action. This would give XGM a Spartan Phalangite..The Hippeis fighting with the overhand spears only..and Spartiate hoplite/swordsman as well. I play XGM this way...hell i play EB this way as well. I understand however if this unit would not be included because there are plans for those precious unit slots but if not......why not? I have an older version of XGM with the Krypteia ( not sure if there still in the current version ) and this would be the unit i would get rid of in favor of another ATG skin. Hell, i didn't get rid of them in my version anyway. I kept them and renamed them Sciritae and edited everything else accordingly. I'm certain all Spartan fans of XGM would enjoy the inclusion of this unit as well. Just my two cents worth...I won't annoy you guys with it again....keep up the great work DBH!!

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

If another spartan unit were to be added it could be something like this.

1) Spartiates
    2) Sparta
    3) 6th and 5th Century
    4) Elite
    5) An Aspis, Doru, Falcata, Corinthian style helmet and a Breastplate
    6) Lakedaimon (Sparta)
    7) Xenophon: Constitution of the Spartans.
    8) It would be in between the Spartan Royal Guard and the Spartan Phalangite in terms of availability, cost and recruitment time. Would use ATG Vertical Plume Spartan.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

I am still a fan of the city specific hoplites, each city state having their own skin and associated stats.
    Athenian, Spartan, Theban, Corinthian, Pergamumian, and so on...the battlefield could be even prettier...but this does load the roster up quite a bit. That's my wish list I guess.

DBH, which Gallic unit would be considered the "elite" unit?
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ephialtes The Dog View Post
    If another spartan unit were to be added it could be something like this.

1) Spartiates
    2) Sparta
    3) 6th and 5th Century
    4) Elite
    5) An Aspis, Doru, Falcata, Corinthian style helmet and a Breastplate
    6) Lakedaimon (Sparta)
    7) Xenophon: Constitution of the Spartans.
    8) It would be in between the Spartan Royal Guard and the Spartan Phalangite in terms of availability, cost and recruitment time. Would use ATG Vertical Plume Spartan.
    Does anyone have a link to one of thsoe Spartans?

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    I am still a fan of the city specific hoplites, each city state having their own skin and associated stats.
    Athenian, Spartan, Theban, Corinthian, Pergamumian, and so on...the battlefield could be even prettier...but this does load the roster up quite a bit. That's my wish list I guess.

DBH, which Gallic unit would be considered the "elite" unit?

I agree. It would be awesome to see many a different hoplite units all together on the same battlefield. But as you stated, this might just be too much to be able to work. I wouldn't be surprised if this idea has already been debated. Even if you take out the Krypteai and don't make it Spartan, it would be nice to use it to create some sort of new Greek Hoplite unit. I don't know much about Athenian Marine Archers and where they stand relative to Greek history, but game wise i think you could even do away with them. The fact that the Greeks already have basic archers, and multiple types of Crete archers, in a way renders them less useful(not to mention the wide variety of slingers and skirmishers). Don't get me wrong here, i love the mod(it's the only one i play), and love playing as GCS, and by no means have any understanding of how to do such a project. These are all just suggestions.

As my favorite daily radio host puts it: I'm either on something or onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    I am also a fan of this idea for XGM. You could get around using up alot of unit slots by doing what the boys at Roma Surrectum did with their city specific hoplites. Where if i remember correctly they used up only about 3 or 4 unit slots but had different textures for the models depending on the different city states..ie..Athens..Syracuse..Pergamum..etc..Maybe XGM could secure permission from them to use these units, that is if this were a direction DBH wanted to go in? Pardon my presumptions... Of course there is also the KLA Hoplites but with respect i'm not really a big fan of these; aside from a couple of his units with the Corinthian Helms (Non Spartans) and his Athenian Hoplites that i think look pretty sharp. Although my favorite Athenian Hoplites are the RTR Athenians. The XGM battlefield would sure look pretty with some of these guys.

Originally posted by brandbll
    I don't know much about Athenian Marine Archers and where they stand relative to Greek history, but game wise i think you could even do away with them.
    No way!!...I love these guys.

Does anyone have a link to one of thsoe Spartans?
    www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25275
    The ATG Vertical Plume Spartan is the second one down. If i were at home...I would show you a shot of them in swordplay action cutting thru some Hypaspistai but here at least you can get a look at them.
    Last edited by Lysander13; September 27, 2007 at 04:56 PM.

One of the hoplite suggestions on here before, IIRC, was for Perioecic hoplites to be added as sort of a post-marius reform type of deal.

a quick suggestion about Median cavalry, I would make them 1800/900 den. to recruit.
    Seriously, at 1220 to recruit them, they are a huge bargain. They are mobile armoured snipers on steroids.
    I already changed their cost in my game, and I still try to seize Media and/or lurk the mountains to employ them.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

They are quite good and actually one of the few units able to fight back against those nasty parthians...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

My guess is that he got stung by the medians. The units in xgm are well balanced... either create tactics to deal with them like what real life warfare was about or use an even more destructive unit. Plus picking a suitable location to fight. Bridge battles with medians is a big nono for the enemy as catapults shoot further than a bow =)
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

My growing seleucid empire would crumble without the median nobility. They are the only thing that stands between the armenian hordes and Mesopotamia.
    It's good that DBH moved them to the aor city barracs. it was too easy to get them before

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Me poor old Gauls are in need of some TLC.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread for units from EB, but at a more basic level (1) slingers for archers (they need the AP and bows weren't a big thing for the Celts) (2) Heavy spearman (with a fancy EB name) - I would say post-Marius, but do the Gauls ever survive that long? (c) another 'elite' unit alongside the rather un-gallic 'forester warband' - Germans got the berserker can the Gauls have some similar nutter - 'Carnutes something' armed witha big hammer, or just another sort of Gasatae?

I appreciate that would be a teeny bit of a 'fantasy' unit but I am sure you would do it in the best possible taste.

Hippias - the gauls survived until Caesar came along which is after Marius.
    I remember seeing somewhere briton or gaullic berserkers wich were among the units created by CA, but never used...

Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo View Post
    Hippias - the gauls survived until Caesar came along which is after Marius.
    I remember seeing somewhere briton or gaullic berserkers wich were among the units created by CA, but never used...
    .....survive that long in the game KK you mad peltast

These days they seem to get pretty well blitzed by the 250's BC, which in RTW is getting pretty close to Marius (although as we know in real life that was about the time his Great grandfather was getting born..)

In my seleucid campaign they are still alive in 268, so we'll see
    Last edited by Kara Kolyo; October 05, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by Hippias View Post
    Me poor old Gauls are in need of some TLC.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread for units from EB, but at a more basic level (1) slingers for archers (they need the AP and bows weren't a big thing for the Celts) (2) Heavy spearman (with a fancy EB name) - I would say post-Marius, but do the Gauls ever survive that long? (c) another 'elite' unit alongside the rather un-gallic 'forester warband' - Germans got the berserker can the Gauls have some similar nutter - 'Carnutes something' armed witha big hammer, or just another sort of Gasatae?

I appreciate that would be a teeny bit of a 'fantasy' unit but I am sure you would do it in the best possible taste.
    give the Gaesatae 2 HP each, put a sacred shrine in their starting cities, and see the Gauls holding their own against rebels, germans, and iberians.

and yes, slingers would be great

The Gauls never last long in any of my campaigns. Tehy always get overrun by the Iberians.