Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Default Re: Unit proposals

wow here go my campaign plans down the drain... Nice looking unit Dime!

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

That is an incredible skin. Can't wait to butcher Ptolemys with them

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    That's a pretty badass unit...
    I could take him...

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    That's a pretty badass unit...
    I second that, very badass...
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrus View Post
    Hey dime, do you use 3dsmax for your models?
    Yep.
    Oh when i tried to use a model from another mod i got a generic error about not having skin.bmp in my models_unit/texture folder. Does that have to do with with the skeleton line in descr_model_battle?
    Sounds like a default texture name to me - which probably means that the game can't find the texture you have listed in descr_models_battle.txt, or that you don't have a texture listed for some faction that is supposed to have it. Could also be a typo in the texture name or the faction name.

I believe that the Scythian Axeman (nice skin I always thought) have been cut, to keep an all horsey roster?

If so, might they make a comeback as that early medium level infantry unit the Armenians need (Saka axeman, albanian hillmen...?) either as Armenian only or as AOR in the Armenia/Scythia border provinces.

And Dimebagho, what about changing the weapon of the Thorakitai Argyraspidai to a spear? Hisorically, they used a rother long spear with a sharp, long blade. EB might give some inspiration.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Beautiful model, DBH!! It looks so much detailed! Goob job !

EB and roma surrectum have so many damn fine skins that I may as well ask for the lot! (RS - Parthian cataphracts - drool).
    Lots of XGM fans on the RS team, so hopefully we can oblige with units you might need.

Well it is a nice unit but the spartans look better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    Lots of XGM fans on the RS team, so hopefully we can oblige with units you might need.
    That might be beneficial to both teams in the future. I recall that Dime did help dvk901 at some point a little while ago, and it was thanks to the info I got from dvk901 that I found the minor cities to upload to Dime.

It all works out well!

"
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Holy **** thats the sexiest unit I've seen this mod come up with . Just replaced the spartan royal guard .

I was going to recommend possibly making a standard Spartan hoplite unit. One that is comparable to the Sacred Band, but doesn't take 30 turns to recruit like the Royal Guard. I heard someone talking about replacing the Krypteai a while back, and this could be the possible replacement. Maybe give the unit comparable fighting stats to that of the Sacred Band, but make it take an extra turn to recruit and a little more denari.

What about Spartan Phalangites then?

"
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

You can keep them. I find them to be useful when fighting other factions that use pikemen extensively. But if your fighting Rome, Iberia, and sometimes Carthage I find them to be really ineffective and find myself wishing i had another hoplite unit. Almost everytime i fought Rome i was having to completely abandon their phalanx mode right off the bat, due to teh mobility of the other army.

I think it would be a great idea to add another Spartan Hoplite unit. There's the ATG Bronze Spartan that serves as The Hippeis. The ATG Red Spartan that serves as the phalangitai. I'd vote for the ATG Vertical Plume Spartan to serve as the regular Spartiate fighting in the overhand hoplite fashion of course. Maybe make the Spartan Phalangitai part of a reform? This would give XGM cause to use another bad ass ATG Spartan. Which in my opinion are the best Spartans anyone has ever made for RTW. Hell, i'm using all 4 ATG models in my current KH campaign in EB (3 ATG models: one of these as officer only...and XGM phalangite). These guys are just way too cool and bad ass looking to let a little something like historical accuracy get in the way....Besides, i'm a complete sucker for those Corinthian Helms...... Most people who play a GCS type faction in most mods do so for the Spartans anyway....May as well give'em a little extra incentive not too mention eye candy.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Yesterday I saw documentary and heard that Nubian bowman were marksmans and earn fame from egyptian as "eye shooter".

I suggest to create unit for east africa AOR as "Nubian's Eye Shooter" as archer that normal range but a bit more damage with bonus against cavalry, elephant and Chariot to represent their marksmanship.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Taking a quick break from the Illyrians, I remembered that zarax and kara kolyo suggested to me to give a go at the unit proposal thread, so I scrolled through and what caught my eye was the Galatikoi Kuarothoroi. The idea of mixing greek and gaul armour and styles was appealing so i took an xgm model and reskinned it plus doing some minor tweaking... the shields need to be fixed as i messed about with it in 3dsmax plus texture wise but at least i know wat to aim for.

And this is wat appeared roughly which need some minor fixes here and there...

And to represent armed to the teeth, I thought a almost longsword was in order along with the spears as a secondary weapon.
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

That's a nice unit but I would give them more chainmail that linen...
    You might as well want to try to create celtohellenic hoplites (the massilian ones with sword as primary weapon) and the bosphoran hoplites (armoured in heavy scale).

We can definitely use another unit modeler and your help would be great Ferrus.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Yea, there was too much linen but wat exaserbated it more was the chainmail abdomen not showing clearly enough. I tried to get it more lighter and removed the linen from the shoulders. made the shield more larger but yet to fix the shield textures. This is quite fun because i used to paint models but have stopped for the last year because of study and the hobby was too expensive.

More gallic than greek but meh, removed the trousers cause well they are in asia minor and the battlemap is a desert over there.

Ahhhh, the celtic charge facing off their old nemesis, the carthy's... If you guys are wondering why i post so regularly, turns out its the holidays for me so i sit in front of my comp creating illyrians while scrolling through the forums... and i have yet to study with an exam coming up next week =p

I wouldnt mind giving xgm a hand but my abilities are quite limited in terms of skinning as i use premade textures, toy with them and mix and match to get a desired effect. The chainmail around the abdomen are actually 3 pieces chosen in different light hues and matched together. To build from scratch is quite difficult i would presume.
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!