Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Primicerius

Default Re: Unit proposals

What about adding a melee camel unit to the Sabeans, just like the ones the Numidians had in Vanilla? They aren't an uber unit, and I think would be a great addition. You already have the merc bedouin camel warriors, so you could just recolor it... Also, the camel archers are of limited use, their melee ability is terrible (nullifying the scare horses bit) and on top of that are slower than even heavy cav, so they are caught easily. But a melee camel unit would be a great anti-cav weapon.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Even better, let's replace the archers with javelineers with better melee capability, that would make for an original unit...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

bedouin camel warriors are easily made recruitable in the AOR barracks, deleting the africa ressource needed in EDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    Carthage for example shouldn't go over reskins as I feel we got the perfect balance between historical units and gameplay (and I worked my ass off to reach that) while GCS would need only minor touches imho...
    I agree, i like the way Carthage is now. What kind of suggestions to GCS would you propose? Have you guys considered making more diverse infantry for GCS?

EB just published a bunch of new units, some of them might be really interesting...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

After EB published 1.0 with an hugely extended unit list here is my wishlist by faction (will point images from EB website):

Gauls:
    Barbarian infantry could be renamed celtic warband and given a thureos

Seleucids:
    Lonchophoroi as lvl 3 cavalry

Hypaspists as pre-marian elite infantry

Baktria:
    Replace the companions with kataphract companions

GCS:
    A bit of revolution here wouldn't hurt
    lvl2: ekdromoi hoplites instead of levy phalanx (light hoplites)

lvl3: iphicratean hoplites instead of phalanx (thureos shorter pike phalanx, could use the current model just changing the shield)

lvl4: phalangites (to reflect GCS later adoption of macedonian phalanx), armoured iphicratean hoplites (could use thorakitai model, iphicratean hoplites were better in CQB than phalangites)

lvl5: armoured phalangites

Macedonia:

Reformed phalangites (post marian armoured phalangites, replaces the standard ones)

Parthia:
    Elite cataphracts

Ptolemies:
    Basilikon agema should be an heavy iphicratean hoplite

Roman:
    Antesignani (post marius)

German:
    Germanic spearmen (basically spear warband with a square shield or alternatively with the same as galatian swordsmen, can do shieldwall)

Late germanic spearmen (version of the former with shorter pike phalanx, post marius

AOR:
    Celto-Hellenic hoplites (Massilia, Emporion, sword/spear infantry)

Bosphoran Thureophoroi (lvl3, better armoured thureophoroi with a bow, recruitable around black sea)

Tarentine cavalry (similar to eastern heavies, recruitable in south italy)

Campanian Cavalry (heavy cavalry, recruitable in capua)

Thessalian cavalry (heavy cavalry)

Numidian nobles (similar to eastern heavies, recruitable in numidia)

Machimoi (medium swordmen, recruitable in egypt)

Galatian nobles (armoured spearmen)

will finish the list later, damn boss wants to talk to me lol
    Last edited by Zarax; October 15, 2007 at 03:09 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

I have 2 proposals for Thrace.
    1 - Getai archers - long range elite archers good mellee ability
    mail armor, thracian helm. celtic long sword.(they could use romphaia, but besides this weapon, the thracians used many other types, so to have a change)
    2 Besoi nobles. the besoi were famous for their skill with the romphaia, but not to have redundancy with the thoracitai, i propose to make them phalanx uit.
    short pikes, secondary weapon romphaia, bronze cuirass, maybe some other kind of helmet like corinthian. - to represent that in the province the military novelties came later to the province

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

How about calling Macedonian Heavy Cavalry Thessalian Cavalry?

That could also fit the lonchophoroi description, see the updated list above
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Zarax, i like those suggestions, especially the AOR and the Greek suggestions. The only two i'm not so sure of is the Macedonian and Selucid. the Macedonian one is probably just due to my lack of inofrmation, but what is the difference between your suggested model and the Foot Companions already in the game?

My only problem with the Selucid suggestion is that they are already strong enough calvary wise, especially when you factor in the areas they have to do AOR recruitment.

Also what about either of these two units from EB? I realize the Epilektoi Hoplites may be fairly similar stats wise to the sacred band. Personally, i'd like to see the Sacred Band units a little more difficult to be recruited and give them another hit point or something to make them a little closer to the Spartan Royal guard. They are more of a specialty unit when you consider their limited size of 300, whereas you could make the Epilektoi a more gnerally recruited unit.

Also, would it be more historical to make the Greek General an infantry general like they have here in EB?

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    Zarax, i like those suggestions, especially the AOR and the Greek suggestions. The only two i'm not so sure of is the Macedonian and Selucid. the Macedonian one is probably just due to my lack of inofrmation, but what is the difference between your suggested model and the Foot Companions already in the game?

My only problem with the Selucid suggestion is that they are already strong enough calvary wise, especially when you factor in the areas they have to do AOR recruitment.

Also what about either of these two units from EB? I realize the Epilektoi Hoplites may be fairly similar stats wise to the sacred band. Personally, i'd like to see the Sacred Band units a little more difficult to be recruited and give them another hit point or something to make them a little closer to the Spartan Royal guard. They are more of a specialty unit when you consider their limited size of 300, whereas you could make the Epilektoi a more gnerally recruited unit.

Also, would it be more historical to make the Greek General an infantry general like they have here in EB?
    Epilektoi Hoplitai

Somatophylakes Strategou (Greek General)

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

I decide to download and try out RS and as I started a campaign as the GCS I was amazed that each major city had its own unique hoplite, now I can see that a lot of people like the city specific hoplite idea a lot, so you if you could get permission from the RS developers it would be great to use their models and texts. Of course the export_unit_descr would have to be altered since RS uses a different system than XGM, but this way it wouldn't be that hard to add the city specific hoplites to XGM.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Ahh, if you looked at their hoplons you will notice that they are the size of dining tables, they are far too big compared to the xgm shields although it could be easily fixed if it were to be included in xgm with the use of 3dsmax. However i think it would be more likely if you include them in yourself as i dont think Dime is even thinking about adding city specific hoplites.
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

I'd like to see the ekdromoi hoplites instead of the Levis for the GCS. A foot General for the GCS would be pretty neat too..

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

I modded my own XGM for the GCS with Spartans as the general's bodyguard - what a laugh just stick 4 family members in a stack and watch how the opposition is slaughtered! That was in 5.2.X. It was fun for a while but too easy.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Well, Sacred Band = Epileptikoi (they were chosen hoplites), stats wise I think they would be ok as they are now.
    About the greek general, IMHO the decision would be up to DBH...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Shame there is no way to vary the bodyguard unit on an individual family member basis within the same faction. Especially as there are traits like infantry/cavalry commander.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Zarax - those units like Campanian Cav, Tarantine Cav and Massiliote Hoplites do you see them as AOR or Mercs (or both?). I ask because when you capture a city from a different 'ethnic group' you get the choice to colonize or not (the latter being the easy option?). If you bottle out and don't colonize then you can only recruit from the auxilliary barrackes, where these AOR units will come from - yes?

If you can get 'elite' units from AOR barracks, what is the advantage in going through the dangers of colonizing to get your own faction elites (i.e. I thought that aux barracks only produced basic level 1/2 troops ?

cheers

Well, campanians would be AOR available to the romans...
    Tarentine cav could be a generic AOR but with multiple turns same for the massiliotes.
    I'm also thinking about putting a fourth aux barracks level but Dime isn't too enthusiastic about it...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Some of these AOR's would be great to see the Rebel factions using as well. I know that Carthage rebels are bugged ATM, but it would be nice to see them + Rome Rebs & ICS having someof these regional units in their stacks - for the short time they survive!

Seriously - I hope the 4 rebel factions are perservered with ("civil war scripts") as they are a major potential interest in XGM's campaign game, which is where you score over the bigger team full realism mods.