Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit proposals

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Unit proposals

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrus View Post
    I wouldnt mind giving xgm a hand but my abilities are quite limited in terms of skinning as i use premade textures, toy with them and mix and match to get a desired effect.
    That's exactly how I started! Keep up the good work.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Thanks Maraxus. Oh and ummm Zarax.... about those bosphorans...

Side view

Front View

The shields are temporary as i didnt know wat sort of symbols they would use. But since it was there to be used... as you can see i based it on an old illyrian skin but with the only brief i got from you was 'heavy scale mail' I work with what i got. Strangely enough i couldnt find any info on the net or maybe i misspelt it. Anyway, I also used the german face so he would be different from most of the hoplites and wanted to add some gold torque to the arms but just wanted to confirm if they were celtohellenic.

And of course the traditional in action screenie ...

...of killing carthaginians. =p
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Really nice work Ferrus!

It's two different units:
    These are EB massiliotes (aka celtohellenic hoplites, I'd rather have them in chain though): http://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/un...i_hoplitai.gif

And this is what bosphoran hoplites could be:
    http://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/un...hellenikon.gif
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Hmmm I just noticed something when i grabbed the stag off a website... that I am using the exact same one EB is using. lol =p

But yea, I went for a more highlights and contrasting look, filling in colours and stuff. Id rather paint by hand and use real paints for symbols but meh, what can you do? Though I did this for fun, this Bosphoran skin can be used on an unaltered xgm model, and if ya really want to use it then i would need to clean it up a tad more and follow any suggestions to improve it. But as for now, I am done with this model and going to finish off my Illyrians =)

edit: Oh, i forgot to show an ingame screenie of suffering carthy's... =p just kidding. The effects of the symbol in shieldwall. In fact the inner details on the stag were noticable at a considerable distance too at eye level.

Last edited by Ferrus; September 24, 2007 at 01:26 PM.

Keep um coming!!

Err... why the stag?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander13 View Post
    I think it would be a great idea to add another Spartan Hoplite unit. There's the ATG Bronze Spartan that serves as The Hippeis. The ATG Red Spartan that serves as the phalangitai. I'd vote for the ATG Vertical Plume Spartan to serve as the regular Spartiate fighting in the overhand hoplite fashion of course. Maybe make the Spartan Phalangitai part of a reform? This would give XGM cause to use another bad ass ATG Spartan. Which in my opinion are the best Spartans anyone has ever made for RTW. Hell, i'm using all 4 ATG models in my current KH campaign in EB (3 ATG models: one of these as officer only...and XGM phalangite). These guys are just way too cool and bad ass looking to let a little something like historical accuracy get in the way....Besides, i'm a complete sucker for those Corinthian Helms...... Most people who play a GCS type faction in most mods do so for the Spartans anyway....May as well give'em a little extra incentive not too mention eye candy.
    I think that's a pretty good plan. Anybody else up for this idea?

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

I'm up for it.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

zarax: because I had no freaking idea what to put on it and saw the one eb was using... but if you want a reason i will make one up now.. just to sound like i know what i am doing ) I was actually planning to put a horse design (cough clipping the wings of the pegasus, cough) but the stag would break them away from being just greeks in armour, to natives and greeks settlers with some local influences(yup b's'ing rite here. Can ya tell I am an aussie?). Other than that I lack info on the designs the bosphorans use and searching on the net gave me one site that told of the rise and fall but not mentioning images or symbols. So basically I said screw it and went EB's way. Maybe they know something i dont (which they probably do).

Besides I dont think xgm has any hoplite with a stag and is soo damn ungreek =p I was hoping for a tribal look the way i filled in the colours.

Ahh, the famous bosphoran stag (keeping up the BS)...
    You might want to check RS cimmerian faction symbol, something similar to that would be good imho.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

As stag's go it is a very nice looking stag though.....

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Thanks Hippias but I went along with his advice and looked at the Cimmerian-Bosphoran faction from RS. So yeah instead of copying theirs I went and made this quite rough one...

I noticed the geometry of the RS shape and tried to duplicate the feeling of it. This is the best i could manage without resorting to copying straight from RS.

That's quite nice!
    DBH, what about having some new AOR?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

They do look nice. More AOR hoplites sounds good to me.

BTW, as there are starting to be quite a few hoplites around maybe we could also set the greek ones back to 1 turn...

Also, it would be nice to have greek cav looking like this: http://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/un...rc_hippeis.gif

If you could reskin the eastern heavies we would have tarentine cavalry:
    http://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/un...tarentinoi.gif

It would be also nice to have the parthohellenic thureophoroi, basically the same but with bow instead of javelins
    http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/...hm_6c868c4.jpg
    Last edited by Zarax; September 25, 2007 at 08:41 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Yes I think we should have more AOR greek units that should use king louise assurbanipal's skins
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1525
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Wait, what did any of the leaders of this mod think about the Spartan suggestion?

They shot it down but like a wise man once said "The only dumb suggestion is the one left unsuggested."

-Del Preston

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Yea, if you give the spartan that much attention than what about the athenians, corinthians, rhodians and the whole other list of greek cities? We are a 'greek' mod so therein lies the probelm. The spartan were good soldiers, not super soldiers, and their numbers were few to begin with... ah but to conquer the world with spartans =)

Zarax: If that greek cavalry model wearing what looks like a beotian helm then it is quite possible though i dunno about the hoplite shield but I managed to seperate the beotian helm from the companion cavalry because the original model when loaded is missing vital parts probably because the file is too old. I am currently using it on the illyrians Sarossaphoroi but its my belief that most greek cavalry should have the same helm.

Last edited by Ferrus; September 26, 2007 at 07:18 AM.

If your going to do more AOR hoplites would it possible to make some better than other ones . Cause as of now Indo-hellenic hoplites and Hoplites are matched . If you throw in say the Massilian hoplites would it be be possible for them to be say swordsmen or have a higher defense stat?